Wiring from scratch?

1. Welcome to 6x6 World.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. Looking forward to seeing you in the forums and talking about AATVs!
+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Wiring from scratch?

Wiring from scratch?

I am going to wire the Hustler this weekend and wanted some input/ideas from the resident experts.

My dilemma is that I am wiring completely from scratch, so the way I see it I have two choices.

1) Use an automotive style fuse block and mount under the seat, and fit new switches for headlights and bilge pump somewhere on the dash.
    2) Use a marine style switch panel that has the fuses in it on the dash, and run the power wires from there. Which means I would have to cut a fairly large hole up front. And they are pretty pricey, about 60-70 bucks...but kinda cool looking.

Any thoughts/ideas/experience would be appreciated....you guys have been invaluable so far.

Car parts stores will have an argo style fuse box for around $6. Think it's 5 fuses. Think about a fusible link (fuse wire) at the battery.

Not familiar with the Argo fusebox...is that something that would go on the dash or under the seat?

Just a small plastic strip fuse box, holds 5 common blade style fuses, two holes to mount it anywhere.

If it would help you out I can snap a picture of my Hustler wiring harness and you could just build your own based on that.
    "Looks like you have a problem with your 4 wheeler........you're missin' two wheels there"

Well...I feel like I will be able to wire it, I just wondered if you guys would be hesitant to cut up the dash to put the marine style control panel there, or just wire it back up stock-style?

BTW, I found some lights at Harbor Freight Tools that fit perfect and came with a bracket for 12 bucks each......

In my opinion I would just wire it up back to stock form. I dont like to cut plastic just because if I ever want to put it back to stock, I dont want any big holes there. Harbor Frieght has a lot of good stuff there. When I replaced my tail lights I used the same style as the stock ones, but they are LED so they dont use as much energy, they last a long time, and they are pretty vibration resistant.
    "Looks like you have a problem with your 4 wheeler........you're missin' two wheels there"

Ok...you talked me into it...plus, it's cheaper! Seems like the final stages of going back together I am getting nickel and dimed to death.

I picked up a set of LED trailer lights also when I was at Harbor Freight...cool store. My wife was excited because I got her a 3-hole punch with a 30 sheet capacity. The initial reason I went there was to get wiring supplies and I kinda went crazy...it was like going to a super Wal-Mart drunk and hungry.

Quote Originally Posted by boncrshr View Post
    The initial reason I went there was to get wiring supplies and I kinda went crazy...it was like going to a super Wal-Mart drunk and hungry.
    Haha, excellent way to phrase it......that kind of reminds me of some crazy times during spring break in Panama City, FL.

+ Reply to Thread