mileage driven tax

1. Welcome to 6x6 World.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. Looking forward to seeing you in the forums and talking about AATVs!
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: mileage driven tax

mileage driven tax

Transit chief eyes tax on miles driven
    By JOAN LOWY • Associated Press • February 20, 2009
    WASHINGTON — Transportation Secretary Ray LaHood says he wants to consider taxing motorists based on how many miles they drive rather than how much gasoline they burn — an idea that has angered drivers in some states where it has been proposed.

Gasoline taxes that for nearly half a century have paid for the federal share of highway and bridge construction can no longer be counted on to raise enough money to keep the nation’s transportation system moving, LaHood said in an interview.

“We should look at the vehicular miles program where people are actually clocked on the number of miles that they traveled,” the former Illinois Republican lawmaker said.

Most transportation experts see a vehicle miles traveled tax as a long-term solution, but Congress is being urged to move in that direction now by funding pilot projects.

The idea also is gaining ground in several states. Governors in Idaho and Rhode Island are talking about such programs, and a North Carolina panel suggested in December the state start charging motorists a quarter-cent for every mile as a substitute for the gas tax.

A tentative plan in Massachusetts to use GPS chips in vehicles to charge motorists by the mile has drawn complaints from drivers who say it’s an Orwellian intrusion by government into the lives of citizens. Other motorists say it eliminates an incentive to drive more fuel-efficient cars since gas guzzlers will be taxed at the same rate as fuel sippers.

Besides a VMT tax, more tolls for highways and bridges and more government partnerships with business to finance transportation projects are other funding options, LaHood, one of two Republicans in President Barack Obama’s cabinet, said in the interview Thursday.

“What I see this administration doing is this — thinking outside the box on how we fund our infrastructure in America,” he said.

LaHood said he firmly opposes raising the federal gasoline tax in the current recession.

The program that funds the federal share of highway projects is part of a surface transportation law that expires Sept. 30. Last fall, Congress made an emergency infusion of $8 billion to make up for a shortfall between gas tax revenues and the amount of money promised to states for their projects. The gap between money raised by the gas tax and the cost of maintaining the nation’s highway system and expanding it to accommodate population growth is forecast to continue to widen.

Among the reasons for the gap is a switch to more fuel-efficient cars and a decrease in driving that many transportation experts believe is related to the economic downturn. Electric cars and alternative-fuel vehicles that don’t use gasoline are expected to start penetrating the market in greater numbers.

“One of the things I think everyone agrees with around reauthorization of the highway bill is that the highway trust fund is an antiquated system for funding our highways,” LaHood said. “It did work to build the interstate system and it was very effective, there’s no question about that. But the big question now is, We’re into the 21st Century and how are we going to take care of our infrastructure needs ... with a highway trust fund that had to be plused up by $8 billion by Congress last year?”

A national transportation commission is expected to release a report next week recommending a VMT.

The system would require cars and trucks to be equipped with global satellite positioning technology, a transponder, a clock and other equipment to record how many miles a vehicle was driven, whether it was driven on highways or secondary roads, and even whether it was driven during peak traffic periods or off-peak hours.

The device would tally how much tax motorists owed depending upon their road use. Motorists would pay the amount owed when it was downloaded, probably at gas stations at first, but an alternative eventually would be needed.

Rob Atkinson, president of the National Surface Transportation Infrastructure Financing Commission, the agency that is developing future transportation funding options, said moving to a national VMT would take about a decade.

Privacy concerns are based more on perception than any actual risk, Atkinson said. The satellite information would be beamed one way to the car and driving information would be contained within the device on the car, with the amount of the tax due the only information that’s downloaded, he said.

The devices also could be programmed to charge higher rates to vehicles that are heavier, like trucks that put more stress on roadways, Atkinson said.

Trying not to get too angered over this proposal for a mileage driven tax, I'm going to give my 2 cents worth. I personally, do not agree with this tax at all. Granted, our infrastructure needs maintenance, as well as expansion. However, here in North Carolina, our highway fund would probably be suffficient if our stat government didn't constantly pull $ out of the highway fund to use in other areas. I guess their logic is to tax more, so they can pull more out. Also, increasing the tax based on a vehicles weight? I already pay more, every year that I buy a tag for my pickup. Tagged for 20,000 lbs., I pay a substanital amount more to tag my vehicle than someone does with a so called "Efficient" car. In addition, the large trucks already pay more to drive on the highways & roads. It's called the Heavy Road Use Tax. We pay it on all of our dumptrucks & lowboys every year. Don't get me wrong, being in the construction industry, more specifically, building roads, we need work. Times are tough and there's not much out there. There are a lot of trucks and a lot of equipment sitting idle. However, I live near the largest urban area in North Carolina. We constantly get screwed on our highway projects. All of the $ goes toward the eastern part of the state, where residents are few and far between and the traffic is not congeseted rather than here, where it is most needed. If the state governments would start managing their highway money rather than pissing it away on pet projects, we wouldn't be in this shape. The governments complain because we drive too much, don't carpool, and drive fuel guzzling monsters. Then they complain because we conserve, carpool, and switch to gas-sipping shoeboxes. Show me something for the tax $ we're already been pumping in for years. I feel like I am taxed to the gills already when it comes to highways. Don't ask me for more when you use what is supposed to be designated for highways for other BS. Sorry to vent, but I couldn't help it.

McCoy

If people are taxed more on miles driven , then people will soon be driving less instead of more. They will take less vacations , visit less , and drive a shorter distance when they travel. States that are prime distination spots for vacationers , will also receive less revenue. This will also be bad for our hobby too. Because the forum members that live far from the amphib events will now have an added expense.

VMT, what a pea brained idea. What would it cost to do that program? Why not tax gas, if it is to be taxed more. My VMT module will be taped to my yard lamp

Roger S,

If this bill is passed , then every new car and truck that is sold in the US, will come from the factory with a GPS system on it. People that own older vehicles with out this system , will then be forced to have them installed , and verified by a government yearly inspection.

Angry Whatever happened to remembering why we had the "Boston Tea Party"?

Heck, we are already taxed to death. Sometimes 2-3 times taxed for the same thing.

I say, ta hell with it...we don't need roads and bridges cause we drive amphibs!!!

Did you know.....
    There is no LAW that says we have to pay income tax as an individual? It's true!!! The 16th amendment was never ratified to establish the income tax on individuals as Law, but the Govt and IRS will still come after you for not paying your taxes, on a non-law!

Want to learn more about it???
    Then I suggest you watch Aaron Russo's (RIP) documentary movie "America, From Freedom to Fascism".
    It can be viewed free on Youtube and is a very eye-opening movie!

We as individuals in this Country have been getting screwed ever since our Congress gave over the ability of creating money to the Federal Reserve which is a Private Bank, back in 1913. Look up Federal Reserve in the phone book and you'll find it's listing nearby FedEx and not on the Gov't Offices listing pages.

Once you do all this, then you'll agree with me that this private bank "The Federal Reserve" and the IRS should be dissolved, and Congress should be the only "Office" with the ability to create money.

would this make it so there is no tax on gas?
    that doesnt seem too expensive considering driving 400 miles would cost $1
    my dad woulve only paid a little over $100 in the little over 4 years he's had his explorer
    McCoy- you'd be surprised how much traffic we have over here, some of our roads are getting pretty bad. theres tons of developments being made(grrrrrr; has slowed b/c economy) and tons of big trucks on little roads

West Central Louisiana near Toledo Bend Reservoir
    I do NOT like the thought of ANY government branch knowing EXACTLY where I am, where I've been or where I am going at any given moment of any day of the year. Talk about invasion of privacy, this takes it to a new level. A scary level! Think of it. I don't know about you guys but the America I see these days is not the America I grew up in.

And You can believe that the gas tax will be around still, even if the IDIOTS in DC get this one crammed down our throats! In case you've never noticed, they don't often relax their grip on the necks of us working folks, ESPECIALLY when it comes to getting THEIR hands on OUR money.

it said the only info sent from the GPS thing is the mileage, nothing else
    what about offroading, i dont want to be charged for sliding around in MY mud on MY land

Quote Originally Posted by Roger S View Post
    ... My VMT module will be taped to my yard lamp
    Hmmm, there's That guy down the street no-one likes, real crank, turned his "Farm" into an illegal dump. HIS VMT will be taped to an Amtrack Loco.

Quote Originally Posted by atvrider93 View Post
    it said the only info sent from the GPS thing is the mileage, nothing else
    what about offroading, i dont want to be charged for sliding around in MY mud on MY land
    I don't believe that, and if it's true at first, that will change. I don't know how much you have to move to register, but if you have a bit of land, you may be paying
    Last edited by 6X6; 02-27-2009 at 12:39 AM.
    Attex 295 Wild Wolf: My Runner
    Attex 252? Colt? Racer 80%: My Racer to be..... SOMEDAY
    Attex Super Chief - Sold.

+ Reply to Thread