2 Hustlers on the beach

1. Welcome to 6x6 World.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. Looking forward to seeing you in the forums and talking about AATVs!
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: 2 Hustlers on the beach

Thumbs down

Very,Very nice guys. Driving on the beach is a blast so I know you had fun. Some times the camera doesn't do justice to the event but i know that machine was rolling!!!!

Thanks boncrshr, I really appreciate the input. So it's safe to assume you are the one in all the hustler video's on youtube that I watched like a thousand times? You machine is really what i want mine to come out like. You did a great job with the exhaust...it's funny to watch your video's and you can hear the lug's on the tires tapping the water OVER the exhaust.
    I still have a few weeks to think over what I want to do, it's like 6 degree's here still with a BRUTAL wind chill.

Thanks Bucket! I actually got lucky on the exhaust...my neighbor is a retired pipefitter and is pretty helpful on that kind of stuff.
    Hammers should have warning labels.

2 Stroke Hustler

Buckettobolts said, "Did it do well in the mud with the 2 stroke? I was thinking of putting a 4 stroke in mine but would really like to leave it original if I could make it at least comfortable noise wise and knew that it would do alright in the slower type riding I plan on using it in with my family."

Before this beach trip, I took my machine to a friends farm that is located on the river bottoms. I never once got stuck and I was purposely trying to find some muck to get me stuck. When we both got stuck on the beach, that was the first time I've been stuck since my Hustler's rebuild. So with that said, I'll say the 2 stroke Hustler with the original 21" Rawhide style tires is very capable in most mud situations. As far a slow speed operation, moderately slow is not a problem. Crawling slow isn't the greatest, but I think that is due to the gearing rather than the 2 stroke engine.

I did 2 things to my machine to make it be not so loud. First, I insulated the inside of the rear seat/engine cover with a fiberglass heat blanket. This worked very well and also protects the rear seat/engine cover from the heat.
    The second thing I did was to cover the two openings in the top rear corners of the rear floorboard. I just formed 2 pieces of aluminum to shape and pop riveted them to the floorboard and covered with carpet.

Boncrscher said, "Yeah, his Hustler has the Kohler. We were laughing about the mud comparison, as well as comparison between my Vampires and his Carlisles. The truth is that it did just as well as mine in the mud.....as we both got stuck like Chuck in the only mud we found!!! Seriously, there was no graduation of the intensity of mud we found. It was either hard-packed dirt, or soupy gumbo that I sunk up to my waist in when I got out to push/pull my Hustler!

That being said....I think Sandcassle's machine would do pretty good in normal muddy conditions because it is much lighter than my Hustler. We could very easily pick the front of his up out of the muck and move it over.

I got to where I liked the sound of his....especially after I had grabbed a handful of the throttle. The only downside as I see them, would be having to keep the RPM's up and fuel consumption."

It's kinda funny about the tire comparisons. When I do get stuck with the little Rawhide style Carlisles, the tires just spin and don't dig down very much. So when you do get stuck, it's not too bad to get it unstuck, especially with the overall lightness of the machine. We didn't have a chance to do a good comparison, though. Like Boncrscher said, it was either seriously bad stuff or hard packed dirt/sand.

Fuel consumption is surprisingly not too bad. I can fill the 8 gal. tank and basically ride all day on one tank. Better than one would expect, I suppose.

Guys,

Thanks for posting the video and ride report. I loved watching the video of the two stroke. Roy that machine looks and sounds great.

Mike
    "Don't worry my Dad's a TV repairman, he has an excellent set of tools..I can fix It"

Maybe next year we can have a meeting of the Hustlers. 6x6world member JPmustblaze and his brother have Hustlers about 5 miles from me, Sandcassle, Meinfeld, Mudbug, JPSwift and me would make 8 Hustlers...it would be like a meeting of the Ents.

Sandcassle's Hustler is in pristine condition...it is a 1 owner machine. Crazy Huh??? I should have taken some video before we got it dirty. I will say it again, driving a 2 stroke was cool. With more garage space I would be tempted to pick one up.

Another part about the trip I did not mention was how hard the trip down the beach was in our vehicles. I had told Sandcassle before, but until you experience how soft the sand is, you have no idea. His eyes were pretty big by the time we hit our camping site! He was nice enough to pull me out 2x...it was cool not having to unload my Hustler.
    Hammers should have warning labels.

Most exciting part of the trip for Boncrshr: Driving my 2 stroke Hustler

Most exciting part of the trip for Sandcassle: Getting there!

Boncrshr told me it might get a little hairy. He wasn't exaggerating! I could just see getting my 7500 lb. Ford Powerstroke (Powerstuck) stuck up to the axles several miles down the beach without a tree or anything else in sight to winch out with. He later told me we would have been able to get me unstuck. I definitely believe him after seeing him unstick his Hustler from that muck we were in. He doesn't give up! All I could think was, "we're screwed".
    But that wasn't the case. It's amazing the extra power you get from thinking positive in those situations.

+ Reply to Thread