MUDBUG tires by maxxis

1. Welcome to 6x6 World.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. Looking forward to seeing you in the forums and talking about AATVs!
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: MUDBUG tires by maxxis

Thumbs down MUDBUG tires by maxxis

I hope some one knows about these Tires and has tried them out.They look like they will swim.also do real good in the mud with the tread pat.Please some one speak up on this tire !!!!!!!!!I got to know!!!!!!!!!Im looking for a good mud tire in the range of 25x12x9 for my max2 and I think this tire will do it.I need it to swim only some to cross creeks and small ponds,but mostly in gumbo mud!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!

They sure have an aggressive tread and look like they would do good in the water too?

Here's the link on their website to that tire info: Mud Bug tires

I'm running "mud bugs" on my home built 6x6. I built my rig after I crashed my '72 Attex. Being a newbe to 6x6 I bought the tires on looks alone. I can tell you that they don't want to skid, and at times it over powers the T-20 trans on dry ground. I'm going to try a different gear set to fix it. I havent run it with my GPS to see how fast it is, but it is defiantly faster than the Attex.

Matt Oxender has a friend with an Argo Big foot, and it has the Mud Bug atv tires on it. He says they swim as good as the amphiibious, Good year,raw hide III,s.

It was mentioned about the tires not skidding well. I know that many tires such as the Goodyear Rawhides are perfect for amphibs, most likely because the engineers of the major companies spent many hours on trying to see what would work best. If anyone has opinions on other tires, I would love to hear them because I am in the process of possibly putting some aggressive 26or 27" mud tires on my Hustler BIG FOOT. I know that Mr. Dan Edwards has done lots of experimenting with big mud tires and he would be a great person to consult if anyone has any additional questions about this.
    "Looks like you have a problem with your 4 wheeler........you're missin' two wheels there"

thanks for the info guys

Overkill,
    Your ride is the reason Im putting mud bugs on my max2.I saw your web site and dude that 6x6 is tuffffff!!!!!!!!!!what size are you running on that thing?what kind of trans you running?you need to post up some video of that monster!!!!!!!tell us about your 6x6.how much does it weigh?Im putting 25x12x9 on it (off the rim they are 22'' tall and 13'' wide a little over 1'' deep tread 6 ply)I know a guy in a few states over is running them on his Argo and he loves them they swim just as good as the raw hide 3's but they really go thru the mud like a Gator!! Im in alot of gumo mud and I think these tires will work for what I need them to do.Thanks again guys and I would like to hear more about this tire from every one still.

Overkill, it's proably your clutch and not the t-20 that is the problem. A red spring clutch should take care of it. Also when your running big tires you have to get in the habit of steering with the throtle. Once you master the throtle steering you'll find that everything else works just fine.I can't tell you how important this is. You might want to talk with Richard at route 6x6 and find out if he has a clutch that will work with your engine transmission combo,Because your machine is just to cool to be having drive train problems that can easily be fixed.

This week I am changing all the drive sprockets. I did talk to Richard before I ordered the new sprockets. I was running 33mph with the old set. With the kind of trails I like to run, I don't need that much speed. I was also having problems on hill climes. It would get stuck half way and start smoking the belt. So I'm going to go up one tooth on the big drive sprocket, and down two teeth on the axle sprockets. While I've got it apart I came up with a cool new chain tensioner setup that cant go out of adjustment. I will post some pix when it is finished. You are correct about throtle steering. If you tried to baby it, it wouldn't turn. I don't know what spring is in the clutch, but when I ordered it from Richard I asked for the high performance one. Maybe that was a mistake.

Overkill,

I don,t know what colour clutch spring you have, but the stock one I pulled out was green in colour ( for more speed sooner,and less torque on the bottom ) and the one I just installed is red in colour and is for more low end torque. This is what I need for the riding I do,,which is slow and technical.

The pressure of the Red clutch spring I,m told,, keeps the motor in low range longer,because the spring is stronger, and this makes for more low end grunt. Which is what I want for pulling more aggressive and larger lug tires. The riding I like to do is not about speed, but about being able to drive through very rough and very challenging, muddy terrain.

Being able to get where I want to go, is more important to me, than getting there faster. Where I like to ride, you can,t ride fast, because the terrain is just too rough. It will beat you to death and will soon tear up your machine. What fun is that?

My friend who has a 27 hp Max IV, with the red clutch spring installed on the transmisson, told me he raced a stock Max IV with the same motor size, but it had the stock green clutch spring. My friend with the red clutch spring pulled the other Max by one and a half lenghs off the line, and on the top end,,pulled it by three lengths, he told me. :laugh
    Last edited by mudbug3; 09-26-2007 at 03:19 PM.

Mudbug 3,

Thanks for the input. After talking to Wildtexasranger on the phone, he set me straight on what you meant about the "Red Spring". Being a stupid newbe I thought you where talking about the motor clutch.

Now that I know it's the trans clutch your explanation makes complete sense. I'm calling RI this morning and ordering the spring. Maybe I could go back to the Yamaha 570 motor.

+ Reply to Thread