vampires, asx vampire combo

1. Welcome to 6x6 World.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. Looking forward to seeing you in the forums and talking about AATVs!
+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 16 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 13 ... LastLast

Thread: vampires, asx vampire combo

ASX

Quote Originally Posted by Mike View Post
    I have been speaking with Interco about different tire options. The ASX's are not discontinued. As Jeff said they are actually moving production to a new plant. The ASX's will not be produced for a couple of months but then they will be back online when the new plant is up and running. Same goes for several of their other tires.
    I tried to get four more yesterday and they only had the left side in the warehouse. When they finally get get them in stock I will buy four more. From what I have seen with just a single set on my Max these tires are the closest thing to tracks you can buy. Awesome traction. Don't forget wheel spacers if you want them for a MAXIV. This tire in size 26x13x12 will sit about 25 1/2 inches on a max rim at two psi. The wheel spacers are to keep the tire away from the inside of the tub when you turn and to give mud and water somewhere to go! I guess for now we will just have to wait.
    Last edited by mightymaxIV; 03-24-2009 at 06:52 PM.

Dan, the nice thing about running these on the factory Max/Kawasaki K lock rims is that you can air them down as low as you want, which gives them a decent ride quality and makes them even wider. Right now I'm running mine at 2 PSI and they are just a hair under 14" wide. You're absolutely right, these tires are the next best thing compared to tracks. I remember when I first shared this one picture of my Hustler 980 with the ASX's just installed, to George he said it almost looked like the tires were like tracks.

I ran my ASX's in some very deep snow over the winter and it was right up to the top of the tires. The machine pulled its way up and over the snow since they're so wide and the deep lugs and the aggressive side lugs pulled the Hustler right through. My friends couldn't believe that I was able to go through that much snow without tracks. I tried to do the same thing with my Max II on 22" Rawhide III's and it got stuck pretty bad after driving less than 10 feet. I think this goes to show that exerted PSI is pretty much the name of the game when it comes to building a highly capable amphib. Those tires help the machine float and the lugs (which wrap all the way around on to one sidewall of the tire grip and pull the machine along, not dig it down like a lot of other mud tires with 1.25" tread depths or more. The ASX has a 1" tread depth and its nearly 14" wide footprint make it the the best tire for the person that wants true "go anywhere" AATV.
    "Looks like you have a problem with your 4 wheeler........you're missin' two wheels there"

Vampires

First time I've seen that ASX tire. I run 4 Vampires on my '03 Argo Bigfoot, but am in need of 2 more tires. I run 9" rims. It appears that there is only 12" versions of the tire your running. Are you running 12" rims and how would the floation differ on my ride if I switched to 12" rims from 9" and went with those type of tires?

West Central Louisiana near Toledo Bend Reservoir
    Betcha a Max with Vampire ASX tires will outswim and outmud a Max with the new Frontier tires. Wudda ya think?

JP, have you gotten your Hustler in a hole of water big enough to really get it lined out? In the vids I've seen of it you are in a small hole in what appears to be a creek, so I can't help wondering what that thing would do in a hole big enough to really get going.

Quote Originally Posted by bilimrl1 View Post
    First time I've seen that ASX tire. I run 4 Vampires on my '03 Argo Bigfoot, but am in need of 2 more tires. I run 9" rims. It appears that there is only 12" versions of the tire your running. Are you running 12" rims and how would the floation differ on my ride if I switched to 12" rims from 9" and went with those type of tires?

You'll have to get 12" rims. With 6 ASX's tires you should have better swim speed and a estimated 35% increse in traction. What do you think JP? 35% sound about right to you?

Smile great tires

i don't know what percent he was getting better, but watching was very ,very impressive.... Indeed , i was impressed....even better than my wooly boogers
    Those tires are hands down winners for mud,snow and water speed....even against the current.........
    I might even bet a set of sacred balloons they are the best so far.....
    Last edited by Amphiman1; 03-25-2009 at 01:52 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by brushcutter View Post
    Betcha a Max with Vampire ASX tires will outswim and outmud a Max with the new Frontier tires. Wudda ya think?

JP, have you gotten your Hustler in a hole of water big enough to really get it lined out? In the vids I've seen of it you are in a small hole in what appears to be a creek, so I can't help wondering what that thing would do in a hole big enough to really get going.
    Hey Brushcutter, I'm 100% sure that any machine with Vampire ASX's will outmud any Argo Frontier tire. From what I've seen I'd say the water speed would be about the same, but we'd have to find a big water hole to try it out head to head. I've only had my Hustler swimming a couple times and I was very impressed with it........Amphiman saw it and you can see what he thinks in the previous post. Maybe some folks will be at Ashtabula and we can try it in a water hole there between the races.
    "Looks like you have a problem with your 4 wheeler........you're missin' two wheels there"

Quote Originally Posted by mightymaxIV View Post
    You'll have to get 12" rims. With 6 ASX's tires you should have better swim speed and a estimated 35% increse in traction. What do you think JP? 35% sound about right to you?
    I'm not sure about what percent the increase in traction would be, but with the extra width and those aggressive side lugs your traction and floatation will certainly be increased, and it'll be quite noticable.

West Central Louisiana near Toledo Bend Reservoir
    JP, what I'm thinking is that it may take more distance to actually hit top speed. As we all know, any machine requires a given distance to reach its maximum veolocity so it would stand to reason that even in water you may still see some gain before you peak out. A gps would come in handy to check it, I would expect to see 6mph+. Our Hustlers have that flat area under the center axle, so naturally I would think an "open hull" such as a Max would not have the drag that we have and would expect an even faster speed out of them. The only way to be sure would be to take the same machine and swap tires then run the same pond. ASX vs Frontier. My money is on the ASX.

( QUOTE ) " ran my ASX's in some very deep snow over the winter and it was right up to the top of the tires. The machine pulled its way up and over the snow since they're so wide and the deep lugs and the aggressive side lugs pulled the Hustler right through. "

Jpswift1 ,

That was REALLY impressive , if the snow was to the top of your tires and you still drove through it like you had tracks! I,d say now,, for the people who have the tub clearance to be able to run the 26x13x12 ASX tires, this will be the tire to have on an amphib, since it works well in snow, mud and water.

+ Reply to Thread