Mudd ox hydro transmission

1. Welcome to 6x6 World.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. Looking forward to seeing you in the forums and talking about AATVs!
+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Mudd ox hydro transmission

Mudd ox hydro transmission

Hey guys

I'm new here, though Ive lurked around the site for a while. Can you guys explain to me how the drive train is set up on the mudd ox? Has it got a variable speed drive on the hydraulic pump or what? It sounds like a great system .

Darcy.

Matt O is the one to ask since he designed it but I drove one and it is an awsome machene. push sticks forward and it goes, pull them back and it goes back
    Kevin Hough
    TREBMASTER
    (____>
    .OOO

mudd-ox

Hey Panzer,

I agree with Trebmaster, that Matt is the best to talk to about the drive system. I do have a mudd-ox an it is a great machine.The engine drives a v-belt drive like those an a snowmobile. This in turn drives the hydralic pump that supplies fluid to a right and left hydralic wheel motors. The motors drive the chains for the axles. Here is the lind to the Mudd-ox web site.
    Home

Yes it is a belt driven CVT for the engine to the hydraulic pump. the pump then drives the dual hydro motors, one on each side. the motors chain drive the second axles and all other axles are daisy chained off the second axle. Sticks mechanically control the hydraulic actuators which are part of the hydraulic pump. Large inline hydraulic cooler and the system holds about 5 gallons of hydraulic fluid. all mounted forward of the engine except the reservoir tank which is behind. Very nice system with incredible control, we routinely load on a tilt trailer and can balance nicely and ease the trailer down on the tongue. Mudd-Ox uses 60 heavy chain to the axles,60 double from the motors to the 2nd axles. Comet clutches are used in the CVT. Hope this helps, Matt may add more if he reads this tread.

Is the tank in the motor compartment or in the back storage area. I like the looks off the Ox, but the Hydro-traxx was support to be the next greatest thing when it came out, & It had a few problems at first. One thing I didn't like was the Hydraulic tank in the back, a hot tank of fluid and game meat don't mix. I look forward to seeing one up close, I'll have to stop by your store when in Anchorage next.

The tank is behind the motor but in front of the storage area. It is behind an insulated engine cover so it is away from the meat area. Also a drop in cargo liner has just been developed that is a tub for the back area so no blood or anything will get into the machine,one more layer protecting the meat and the machine.

Quote Originally Posted by akexpress View Post
    Yes it is a belt driven CVT for the engine to the hydraulic pump. the pump then drives the dual hydro motors, one on each side. the motors chain drive the second axles and all other axles are daisy chained off the second axle. Sticks mechanically control the hydraulic actuators which are part of the hydraulic pump. Large inline hydraulic cooler and the system holds about 5 gallons of hydraulic fluid. all mounted forward of the engine except the reservoir tank which is behind. Very nice system with incredible control, we routinely load on a tilt trailer and can balance nicely and ease the trailer down on the tongue. Mudd-Ox uses 60 heavy chain to the axles,60 double from the motors to the 2nd axles. Comet clutches are used in the CVT. Hope this helps, Matt may add more if he reads this tread.
    Well done Mark!!!

Matt

Sounds like its been thought out. Is there a fan in the engine compartment for ventilation? What does the cooler consist of? How hot does the hydraulic fluid get? The HyroTraxx went like mad until it was fully loaded and had to climb a hill, then you had to stop and let her cool down. I guess I need to see one, AKExpress where are you located in Anchorage?

Quote Originally Posted by chinook View Post
    Sounds like its been thought out. Is there a fan in the engine compartment for ventilation? What does the cooler consist of? How hot does the hydraulic fluid get? The HyroTraxx went like mad until it was fully loaded and had to climb a hill, then you had to stop and let her cool down. I guess I need to see one, AKExpress where are you located in Anchorage?
    There are actually two fans in the engine compartment one to exhaust heat from the compartment (on drivers side) and one to pull air thru the hydraulic cooler which is quite large.(looks like a radiator) They are both on circuits that have an automatic and manual function so you can control them. We had 4 adults and 2 kids the other day with tracks on our black one and worked it hard in deep snow and the highest hydraulic temp we saw was around 150. On our red one while plowing very heavy Seward snow for a long time we saw 180 once and the operating limit is 220 so there is a good bit of cooling going on so our Alaska hills should not be a cooling problem.

Mark
    Last edited by Mike; 03-31-2009 at 10:18 PM.

+ Reply to Thread