Plastic welding.

1. Welcome to 6x6 World.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. Looking forward to seeing you in the forums and talking about AATVs!
+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Plastic welding.

Plastic welding.

Hi everyone,

Has anyone had sucess with welding patches on the lower body of the argo? How strong are these welds?

Thanks
    Newfy Moose

Welding Argo Body

Newfy, a friend of mine had his Argo Avenger body plastic welded recently. He had a mid axle chain separate and ball up around the sprocket and worn a fairly large hole right through the tub. He got a pro plastic welder to fix it, cost around $350. The finished job looked good, and probably as strong as the original tub. The hardest part of the job was cleaning all the grease and gunk to get a good bond.

re:plastic weld.

I just had my lower tub welded, One hole below the hitch and one in the bottom. The bottom hole was in a big U shape and the other about 3 in longx1in wide. Patched both holes and some wear marks in the very bottom. This looks really good and feels strong. Someone had tried to patch the holes with tin, silicon and rivets, so all the small holes were also filled. 3 1/2 hours cost me $140.00 and he came to my house to do it. I now know why he came to my place. Shop still stinks of melted plastic! A good operator with good equipment will do the equivilant (?) of welding steel.

Thanks

Hi Guys,

Thanks for the replies. Trying to find a professional around here is going to be the problem. What materiel was used for the patching?

Thanks Again

Newfy

plastic welding isn't that hard.
    a good soldering iron, and, some donor plastic as "rod"......do some experimenting and then dive in.
    It's a lot like gas welding metal........

I've posted some plastic welding tips, as have others, here in the galleries....

good luck
    Henry
    Henry:
    I don't know where I'm going, but, I'm on my way...........

+ Reply to Thread