Mudd-ox questions

1. Welcome to 6x6 World.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. Looking forward to seeing you in the forums and talking about AATVs!
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Mudd-ox questions

Mudd-ox questions

Looks like a really nice ride. I have some questions though..

Is it fuel injected ?

Is the whine i hear from the hydralic motors ?

What is the ground clearance at the bottom of trough ?

Is there a skid pan?

What type of drain plugs and acess if any ?

What is the altenator output?

Is the winch tied into the frame ?

Do they have bearing extenders ?

when on water can you get to the back cargo area ?

A list of pros and cons between the Avenger and Mudd- ox would be great for new buyers..I think the Mudd-ox may out climb the Avenger in the most demanding situations but may lack in ease of use on the trail and on water.

Tracmaster

.I think the Mudd-ox may out climb the Avenger in the most demanding situations but may lack in ease of use on the trail
    I'll defer all of the previous questions to one of the dealers on the forum or Matt. They are better armed with more specific and technical knowledge about the machine than I.

However, I think you would find just the opposite is actually true about ease of use on the trail. The counter rotating hydraulic drive of the Ox makes it much more versatile and more maneuverable on the trail. You don't have to stop to change gears from high to low or from forward to reverse, and you lose no momentum during a turn because it doesn't "brake" to turn. From a standstill, I can turn by going forward on only one side, by going in reverse on only one side, or by spinning on the axis with forward on one side and reverse on the other.

i mean user friendly.. can you climb to the cargo area of the mud ox when on water to get gear or to fish from the back ?...this is very helpful for those of us who sometimes fish and hunt alone. When hunting.. being quite is the key..so..my question was is that high pitched sound coming from the hydrolic motors? the skid plate question was obvious..Yes or no..is it fuel injected ..yes or no.. are there drain plugs and where are they? thats a simple question too. i was concerned about altenator output because there are two fans on the ox.. another question come up now..what is the draw of those 2 fans?.. i am not to interested in spinning circles with one or both sides engaged.. And we all know that constant use in mud destroys the seals and bearings of all manufacturers vehicles. i am more interested in a quite ride that does not spook game and gives me easy access to the entire vehicle when fishing and hunting. I like seeing new 6 and 8 wheelers hit the market but the hype gererated by a few may influence some buyers before they understand that traction is only one function of an offroad vehicle and all 6 and 8 wheelers have excellent traction to start with. Argo is still king for all around outdoor fun and ease of use on the trail. Maybe i'll get banned for asking the wrong questions!!

Tracmaster

Tracmaster

You just answered all your own questions

I drove a Response along side the Mudd Ox for a few years, while the prototype was in development, and I've seen Avengers in the same terrain. If you can't find any improvements in the mudd ox over an argo, you havn't looked very far, or seen any video of it in action. There's tradeoff's in everything, engine up front or mid mounted, argo differential or something more sophisticated, ground clearance(don't know what the trough clearance is, but it'll drive through deeper high center situations better than any argo. Been there, seen that. But you're right, I can step into the back of my Response easier than a mudd ox owner can on the water. He'll be floating level, however, without the nose down.

Keep your Avenger. If you want to improve it, buy a set of Mudd Ox wheels, so the tires don't dismount at low or no psi. Best uprgade you could do.

Mudd Ox

Good afternoon gentlemen,

Roger, thanks for your comments regarding the Mudd OX and would like to concur with your replys. I would like to add my 2 cents worth as well. The Mudd Ox has all the makings of an exceptionally heavy duty undercarrage in comparrison the the competition. Matts axles are molly crome with bearing extension housings on all axles and support three bearings per axle. One inner, one mid and one outter on the extension housing. If the vehicle is to support tracks there is another support rail which ties all the bearing extension housing together. The Mudd Ox is not fuel injected at this time which makes repairs in the field much easier. I have been in the automotive repair business for 40 years and worked on the first fuel injection systems as well as computer systems and for my part on these aatv they do not need to have a computer in the inviroment they are designed to operate in. The 40 HP Kohler has a standard 25 amp charging system and has been more than efficent to handle all systems on board at this time.I am sure that higher charging rates will come about as the needs for the commercial market changes. Matts machine does not have a full skid plate as we speak but is nearly finished and ready for production. The integerty of the lower hull on the Mudd ox is much heavier than the Argo.

Now with all that said I would like to put a plug in for ODG as well. That would be the Centaur. The lower undercarrage is bullet proof with inclosed 1 1/2 in axles with taper roller bearings running in 90 wt gear oil with #RC80 chain with auto chain adjusters. The chains are lubed from 4 oil pods in the cab which is certified roll over protection. If you want quit then the 34 Hp gas is the ticket or a 34 HP turbo desiel is available. It drives with a dual plantary transmission which is supported with a hyd pump. Vehicle will do a 0 turn as well. I hope everyone has had a great weekend. If questions arise with the mudd ox or any other machine on the market it pays to test drive one yourself and dont take any second hand information.

Best regards
    Ken
    Last edited by Mike; 04-05-2009 at 10:18 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by tracmaster View Post
    Looks like a really nice ride. I have some questions though..

Is it fuel injected ?

Is the whine i hear from the hydralic motors ?

What is the ground clearance at the bottom of trough ?

Is there a skid pan?

What type of drain plugs and acess if any ?

What is the altenator output?

Is the winch tied into the frame ?

Do they have bearing extenders ?

when on water can you get to the back cargo area ?

A list of pros and cons between the Avenger and Mudd- ox would be great for new buyers..I think the Mudd-ox may out climb the Avenger in the most demanding situations but may lack in ease of use on the trail and on water.

Tracmaster
    some questions were still not answered
    13.5 inches of ground clearance.
    Has two drain plugs on back accessable from the outside
    Bilge pump is standard
    User friendly? It is not that hard to climb from the the front to the back over the engine but not as easy as an Argo.
    On the flip side the ergonomics of the cockpit are much better Mudd-Ox as there is much more leg room.
    As an avid hunter i don't think it is any louder then my Argo was.
    As Ken said skid plate will be available soon. What is available now for the hunter/fisherman is a drop in bed liner tub in the back ,you remove all the rear cushions and dropin the liner so when you have game or fish you don't get anything in to the bilge of the machine=easy cleaning
    The winch is tied into the frame with a welded mount.
    25 amp alternator standard
    carbed not efi
    Hope this helps
    enjoy Mark

Thanks Mark for taking the time to address my questions.. sounds like a nice machine but i think i'll wait before i make a buy.. love the avengers efi and handlebar steering..one hand operation is wonderful..also easy access to the rear is a must for me when fishing and hunting..maybe in a couple years i'll change my old ways..thanks again.

Tracmaster

Smile The Differences I have noticed

The Mudd-Ox with the hydrostatic drive is a true 8x8 unlike the avenger which is only a 4x8. Which also means you aren't robbing power from the 40hp engine like you do to your 31hp EFI every time you try to turn. As far a comfort there is no engine compartment in front of the driver restricting the foot and leg room and the seat back is higher and doesn't rest in your lower back. Therefore, you actually sit more comfortable (With your feet forward like an automobile) and more stable allowing your legs to support your body when going downhill. The rider forward design also allows me to see what I am crawling over better since I don't have to look over 3-4 foot of hood. I plow with mine and it is nice to have a better vantage point of the blade while I am doing the work; especially since I can do the work so much faster with the hydrostatic drive. With the engine placed in the middle the Mudd-Ox is definitely a better balanced machine. The balanced layout coupled with the Hydrostatic drive gives the driver greater control over the comfort of the ride. Furthermore, the Mudd-ox is more maneuverable in water because it has the ability to counter rotate. Also, if you had a Mudd-Ox all your friends would be beat down your door to come with and you wouldn't need to climb in and out of the back.

Mudd-Ox speed

Well, I finally put the gps on board and checked out the top end speed. I've been planning to do this for awhile and just now got around to it. From the very first time I drove it, I felt as if it wasn't reaching the "advertised" top end, (24mph). (I have adressed this in a previous thread).

My suspicions were validated. I could reach roughly 18mph or so on flat ground, and that was it. I saw 20mph for a fleeting second or two going down a slight grade, and when coming back up that slight grade, 14 or 15 mph was the best I could get. This was a little disappointing. I have to admit, one of the major selling points to me was the advertised speed that was higher than the Argo.

Now, that being said, I am happy with the machine over all and am impressed with the performance and maneuvering capabilities. I'm just a little put off with a speed that is roughly 25% less than I was expecting.

Anybody else checked this out yet?

Hancock

hancock ,

Your Mudd OX probably has the lower geared sprockets. This will limit your top speed , but the lower geared sprockets are much better for climbing steep hills , and running tracks at higher elevations. I,ll probably get a Mudd Ox this year,,and I,ll have Matt install the lower gearing on mine when I buy it.

+ Reply to Thread