18HP Vanguard need more power!!

1. Welcome to 6x6 World.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. Looking forward to seeing you in the forums and talking about AATVs!
+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: 18HP Vanguard need more power!!

I hope the honda24 makes my maxll wake up a little,The 14 briggs will do OK with one person.There is nothing worse than getting in a tight situation and running out of power.Your's sounds like it is doing pretty good,Thats the way i like to roll.

Sounds like a plan. I think the 24 Honda will be great. Does it have a 1" straight shaft for your clutch?

I started to mention the plug clearance, I thought it might be ok with the head not milled. Depends on how the ground electrode indexes when you screw it in. Hasn't happened to me with the .040 stock gaskets but it's a common problem. I used the conduit also. Hope you didn't breath the galvanized fumes.. happy to hear your satisfied with the power. Drill the main jet if you havn't, it's only a couple thousandths, but adds power and keeps combustion temps down, not overly rich at all.
    Last edited by Roger S; 05-03-2009 at 08:32 PM.

I do plan on drilling the jet, and also moving the breather tube. I'm getting a little oil in the filter area especially since using the Briggs 5W30 Syn oil.

What kind of speeds do you get on your machine? I need to get used to the new power. I find myself trying to slow down way to much. You pull the throttle and launch like a rocket. I was suprised how much the exhaust made a difference over the gutted stock. It is very easy to hit over 5,000rpm, might research possibility of a rev limiter.

Rut

Have never checked the speed, it's low geared so not that fast. Non synthetic is recommended for break in, might be your oil problem, syn is too slick for ring seating. What did you do for a bore finish.

Roger,

I used the stock pre-broken in rings with the same pistons in the same hole. Did not hone or anything. I do not have any oil fouling or wet oily sparkplugs. My piston rings are sealed fine. Did this because I have a new low time engine.

The only part not traditionaly broke in would be the rod bearings.

The oil is coming from the breather, it was doing this a little before the mods with the 30W oil. Might be a little overfull. I put in 48 ounces.

Then moving the breather will take care of it.

The exhaust does make a huge difference. That's why mine is not quiet. Any attempt to muffle the thing takes away upper end power.

I really enjoyed building the exhaust. Probably going to make some more or at least one more that is not so loud. It will be neat to see if bottom end is lessoned with a muffled exhaust.

BTW: I did run 5w30 Pensoil in the engine for an hour before switching to the synthetic.

Quote Originally Posted by fulleraviation View Post
    I really enjoyed building the exhaust. Probably going to make some more or at least one more that is not so loud. It will be neat to see if bottom end is lessoned with a muffled exhaust.

BTW: I did run 5w30 Pensoil in the engine for an hour before switching to the synthetic.
    I talked to a friend that owns a muffler shop today,He said that he could get some 11/2 inch glass packs that sound good for $35 a piece.I have 11/4 on my honda,I think I'll try them out and see how they sound .How much of a difference did the duals make.

Exhaust theory, I liked this page.

RB Racing LSR 2-1 Exhaust Technology

+ Reply to Thread