outboard motor

1. Welcome to 6x6 World.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. Looking forward to seeing you in the forums and talking about AATVs!
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: outboard motor

outboard motor

anyone ever tried a short leg outboard on their machine?? and if so did it work well or would a long leg be the way to go.. reason im asking is because there is a 9.9 hp sitting in the garage doing nothing right now and would be nice if that would work for me

If no one responds maybe you should give her a whirl. And post results.

Short shaft

The short shaft i ran had a lot of cavitation, but it was a 5 hp. If you stay on the slow side of speed you should be alright. The weight of the 9.9 may drive the rear end down enough to keep cavitation to a minimum. No matter what i would give it a try. Keep us posted.

Lewis

ya pretty brutal weather here today and was just wondering. i am going to give it a shot for sure. i was thinkin if i have to get in the back to work the outboard it should force the rear of the machine deeper in the water which might be alright.

Quote Originally Posted by swampdonkey View Post
    ya pretty brutal weather here today and was just wondering. i am going to give it a shot for sure. i was thinkin if i have to get in the back to work the outboard it should force the rear of the machine deeper in the water which might be alright.
    I've tried a short shaft om my Vanguard 2. It did not work too well at all.
    You could only idle the outboard as the prop would just cavitate.

In other words the prop has to be below the body so it gets a good
    source of water to propel.

For an outboard to operate efficiently the cavitation plate should be even with the bottom of the hull.

Short Shaft

MXZ500, what short shaft hp of outboard did you try. I have a 15 horse Evinrude short shaft that weighs around 75 lbs. May be enough with the battery weight to work properly. Anyway, let me know.
    Thx
    Dennis
    "Let's Roll" when he used to wake me up in the mornings for school in the 50's.
    My Dad, Utah Beach D-day vet, 79th Inf Div

I was talking to a friend of mine about this short shaft problem, and he said there is a device that sailboats use to lift and lower an outboard. We got interrupted and never finished our conversation.Just thought i'd throw this out there.Good luck with your short shaft problem.

just had it in the water yesterday. left the motor at home though. these things are pretty tough to turn in the water and only want to go forward. i do have some major leaking probs ill have to get to soon. actually pretty stable in the water. i think it would be pretty hard to roll.

ya i guess you could buy the adjustable jack plate for it but im not sure of price. im thinking maybe i should just buy an older honda 4 stroke for the thing. they burn very little gas and are very quiet. which would be nice. i will be using the machine to fish remote lakes all summer and this might be a wise investment.

+ Reply to Thread