Argo Reliability: Your Honest Opinion.

1. Welcome to 6x6 World.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. Looking forward to seeing you in the forums and talking about AATVs!
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Argo Reliability: Your Honest Opinion.

Argo Reliability: Your Honest Opinion.

Hello all. This is my first post and I've registered with the forum due to my interested in purchasing an Argo atv for my family.
    We have been pondering buying an atv for some time and a local dealer is now selling his "demo" 08 Frontier 580. We took it for a spin and were quite thrilled. We like the unit's capabilities and passenger capacity as well as the fact it doesn't go too fast.
    Unfortunately, when I asked around about the Argo reputation the response was overwhelmingly negative. One owner said "they're great if you like walking". Another estimated he spends 10 hours repairing his Argo for every hour of use he gets out of it.
    Also, when I called my insurance agent for a quote, they refused to insure Argo atv's. I found another agency who quoted $1,000 yearly for liability and fire/theft only.
    So, what's the truth about Argo's? I'm Canadian and I'd like to believe Canadians don't make junk but folks have been convincing me otherwise.
    Are the new units more reliable than the older ones? If you own an Argo and properly maintain it can you count on it to not break down and leave you stranded in the middle of nowhere, or do you have to always carry an assortment of parts and tools and be prepared to repair them in the field because mechanical breakdowns are inherent to the Argo's nature?

Argo reliability

First off I dont own a argo,I own a max.I wish that I could own one .If you do the routeine maint the machine will give you and youre family alot of fun.There alot fo people that do not give these machines there proper care that they need,then when something breaks they call them junk.These machines do need routine maintance like chain care and bearing greasing.There are alot of people on this board that are very knowledgable and can help with any questions.These machines are not hard to work on.With proper care they will get you there and back.

hello and welcome to the site, argos are easy to look after, they will probably outlast and quad, they can carry, tow or drag lots. i have one and my dad is on his second. with his first one he did more with it than both of us together on quads. and cheaper to mantian as well. ex did a motor on a quad and that ran 2500.00, did motor, chains, belt, wiring, seats, and all hoses on dads for about 1500.00, and the motor is brand new.

Darin
    ps where abouts are you located?
    mud and ice

Ilove mine. enough said
    Kevin Hough
    TREBMASTER
    (____>
    .OOO

I have almost 300hrs of ride time in my 2008 Frontier and I would estimate about 6-8 hours of maintenance mostly due to putting on tracks, canopy, windsheild, and plow for the winter. "Touch Wood" I have never had to walk and it has had no major breakage, the worst was popping a bead on the tire a couple of times.

Regular maintenance including washing, Armoural, greasing and oil changes takes less than an hour and its all good for another 50hours.

Now to be honest I do spend alot of time messing around with trying different ideas for water speed, adding extra lights, and trying many of the suggestions and ideas I read ont his site but thats counted under the "FUN TIME" catagory.

As for tools for the trails that is more of a "just in case" scenario and most of the time it is for my four wheel friends.
    Ya ain't stuck til the winch cable comes out!!!

Quote Originally Posted by fire 6x6 View Post
    First off I dont own a argo,I own a max.I wish that I could own one .If you do the routeine maint the machine will give you and youre family alot of fun.There alot fo people that do not give these machines there proper care that they need,then when something breaks they call them junk.These machines do need routine maintance like chain care and bearing greasing.There are alot of people on this board that are very knowledgable and can help with any questions.These machines are not hard to work on.With proper care they will get you there and back.
    OK, This comment pretty much "hits the nail on the head". IMHO

Yes, I have dealt with alot of "Breakdowns", some on the trail, and some not. I have NEVER had to deal with a breakdown that was the Machines fault. Virtually every breakdown has a route cause that can be traced back to something the operator knew about before he headed out on his trip. Or it something uncontrolable like a tiedown hook dropping into a chain, or hitting a tree and bending an axle.
    I pack tools and some spare parts, not becouse I break down often, but becouse if I do breakdown (or someone else does), it's a good bet that I can deal with it right then and carry on with the trip.

*Steps down off pedistal*

So, ya, I guess that's my opinion. For what it's worth

RD

I have just bought a 2000 argo 6x6 big foot last fall. i have put on over 20 hrs. it has 145hrs now. since ive had the machine i have never been stranded. i have had some problems and after reading post from others and input from rock dock my worst issue was one that i created. i used my track with to much air in the tires, not the same pressure in all the tires, and riding over rocky terrain with not much snow covering. i ripped out 2 studs, and lost 3 lug nuts. i had to ride out of the 17 mile trail with 5 tires. (knock on wood i have never had to walk or be towed for a break down).
    support your local search and rescue unit and get lost.

I have a 2000 argo conquest I am handycapt I have over 500 hours on my argo i follow the book on oil and lube and chain i run tracks in the winter i had it in alaska for all most 10 years until I had to move every thing or sold every thing kept my argo I have plowed snow with it every winter and with all maint by the book my chains all look good I have had it out moose hunting and gone places i would not even walk I have pulled a 1200 lbs moose out with it and it has never left me stranded it has far serpased my expectaions the only prob i have is i have to R&R the alatnater as it quit charging this last winter so if i had it to do over agin i would not change a thing axecpt maby buy an extra alatnater Thanks Skip as a mater of fact if any one has any tips on doing the job i could use some

argo big foot 2000

hi i have a argo 2000 18hp and it run like a top you couldnt give me a another brand ps if u did it would be 4 sale

IMHO

Hi guardian: Welcome aboard!!!!

IMHO, a lot of this comes from people buying a machine that has been run hard and put up wet. It was worn out when they bought it and they expect it to run like new, or a machine that was well taken care of. Ain't going to happen. This can be corrected with a few basic mechanical skill, but if you have no mechanical skill or not interested in fixing it stay away from this type machine. Anything can be rebuilt but it will cost you time and money and you want to ride and enjoy. Not pay and work

You have basic maintenance that you must do,.....and anyone can do it. Grease, lubricate, change oil. Keeping you machine clean and in a good running condition makes for a well running machine. This site is a great place to ask questions and get answers about your machine. I think that Argo has a very good product and i am quiet happy with the performance of my machine. Getting a good dependable machine (New or Used) is a must when you start out. You will be amazed at what you will learn about your machine from having a fun time with the family.

Once people buy a junker and have a bad taste in their mouth are not likely to change their minds.

I have a 2006 Avenger and have had a blast with it. The argo's that i am associated with are very dependable even the older ones.

I am not downing any ones machine by no means. If you want a project machine buy it with that thought in mind. Don't blame the machine for someone's bad service habits.

Just my 2 cents.

+ Reply to Thread