New to 6x6s, considering an Attex

1. Welcome to 6x6 World.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. Looking forward to seeing you in the forums and talking about AATVs!
+ Reply to Thread

Thread: New to 6x6s, considering an Attex

New to 6x6s, considering an Attex

Hello everyone!

I'm fairly new to the site, been lurking a bit. I'm a pilot by trade and a mechanic in a former life. I've always wanted a 6x6, but with the downturn in the economy, a new one is out of the question.

I live in Pennsylvania USA, where Attex once built AATVs. I've been reading the forums here and pretty much decided on an Attex.

I don't have a lot of capital to work with (other bills) but I'd like to get something that is complete and needs a little work. I'm not afraid to get my hands dirty, and have quite an assortment of tools.

That said, I'm considering an 1973 Attex 400 Chief. It looks fairly good in the pics, a bit faded, and says "has some cracks, all original, runs well, goes fast."

So being that it's all original and "runs well. goes fast" it shouldn't be TOO bad, one would think.

The tires appear to have decent tread, and i believe are the "balloon" type, as they have a very small hole in the center where the wheel would normally be.

SO, my questions for you are:
    1. What do I look for besides the obvious? (large cracks, trans issues, motor knocks, etc)
    2. What would be a fair price? (I know you dont have much to go by, just looking for ballpark figures)
    3. Does this type of tire require some kind of conversion to replace once they wear out? (I understand new tires of this type are nearing extinction?)
    4. Any ideas/thoughts/tips you folks who have "Been there, done that" could add would be greatly appreciated.

I would have already went to look at this machine, but it is a little over 3 hours away, and dont want to invest that much if you folks dont think it's worth it.

Thank you for your time.
    -Cheapo
    Last edited by Cheapo; 04-15-2009 at 02:20 AM.

Go Attex

I am Pa person also,and prefer the Attex type. If you are looking to keep the machine for a long time and have restore type thoughts,try to find a un-damaged body. If you just want cheap and have some fun, any body can be patched up but you'll wish you had better. You could check engine compression and trans fluid condition for basics. Bearings and chains will likely need some replacing. Bent axles are possible. Review the above stuff and adjust the price accordingly. Prepare for more work than play. Convert at a minimum the rear tires to steel rims. It is a buyers market. Everyone is going to have different numbers, $800 for a beat but running machine. $1500 for a clean body only slightly worn machine. Good luck!

Attex's are nice machines but you may invest 2-3 times the purchase price to make a reliable trail machine. You may want to look for a Max2 with a poly body. Parts are readily available as well as up grades from the factory.
    Re-engining a Max2 2 stroke machine is easy. Bodies are still available. Attex AATV's are desirable and often cost a premium for what you get.

+ Reply to Thread