70s something scrambler

1. Welcome to 6x6 World.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. Looking forward to seeing you in the forums and talking about AATVs!
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: 70s something scrambler

70s something scrambler

first,thanks amphiman for info on my clutch,I see how it works now.my machine has a 16hp tecumsch engine .now I'm having a problem getting the steering to work on right side.I've bleed the system and the drive disc open a little when I turn the steering wheel.it feels the same as left side which does work.I don't know if its releasing enough when I try to turn .Is there something I'm missing.Like I said before I know little about these machines,this is my first and it had been sittin for a while.I was slowly taking off on a concrete drive way,would that effect turning?

Are the brake pads still there, They are glued on and fall of with age/sitting.
    Concrete driveways are bad ideas to turn sharp, hard on everything. Im sure that has alot to do with it.

first get it on a soft or slick surface like grass
    test it out and see what it feels like each way

70s something scrambler

The pads all look like there on.I'll try getting it in the yard to try again.Do I need to be on the gas when turning,because I had let off the gas and tried to turn then because I first ck'd out turning left and I was headed for a barbed wire fence ,then I let off gas to turn right while I was coasting.I had just pulled off just barely moving to test steering

ya, i think so
    though, i only have like 10 minutes on mine

70s scrambler

I assume if your turning one way,that side wheels don't pull and the other side does.The side your turning to don't brake,but just coast,is that correct?

Turning does require more power because of the dragging tires sideways, so you may need to give it little more gas. Also slow speed turning is always a little herky jerky. Go run it around a while and have fun, like atvrider says.
    I talked to amphiman and you can adjust the brakes with c clip spacers. So shouldnt be a big deal if thats the case.

As you start to steer, the wheels on that side do coast, as you turn harder, the brakes start applying

70s something scrambler

Thanks for the info,I'll try her again tomorrow.

shims on 70s scrambler

what are some ideas for shims for steering brakes that can be slid in place so I don't have to take apart.They had a piece of 3/16 flexible rod tied around it before.Does anybody like napa sell something that would work and stay on.Can the threaded rod at the hydraulic cylinders be adjusted to take out the slack.I broke the two nuts loose on one side to see if it would adjust but the threaded rod just turned with the nut when I tried to run the outside nut in on the threaded rod to see if I could take some slack out.I'm still learning about this machine.

+ Reply to Thread