Argo Bearing and Seal Replacement Video

1. Welcome to 6x6 World.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. Looking forward to seeing you in the forums and talking about AATVs!
+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: Argo Bearing and Seal Replacement Video

Quote Originally Posted by Aussie Iron View Post
    You nearly have it right. There is also a lock collar on the inner bearing, inside - so one to hold the sprocket in place and one to retain the axle to bearing. Only need the extra lock collar to hold the sprockets in place on the front and rear axles. The other axle(s) the sprockets only fit in the gap between the bearings.
    If I'm not mistaken the bearings have a collar attached to them.

Here's a question. Is it just the set screws in the collars and the bearings that control lateral movement of the shaft ?

In other words if you loosen alll the set screws on the collars and bearings there's nothing to stop the axle from sliding inward or outward.

Quote Originally Posted by Roger S View Post
    You see how the chain tensioners get torqued out of shape because the spring only pulls one one side? You can swap the forks top for bottom, rotate the pads a half turn. Then it'll be pulling them back into shape.
    That's happening to all my tensioners, so how do you switch them?
    Steve
    Steve Cornick
    1993 Vanguard Argo w/16hp B&S

You have to pull the pin that goes through them to get them apart.
    To Invent, you need a good imagination and a pile of junk. (Thomas Edison)

Quote Originally Posted by Roger S View Post
    You have to pull the pin that goes through them to get them apart.
    Ahh, right on, will tinker with it one day next week, going for another fishing trip tomorrow!!
    Steve Cornick

There's a cotter pin holding the tensioner axle in place. You can see the tail end of it in this flic

When it is assembled you rotate the collars on the ecentric on the bearing ( tap with hammer and punch) which locks the bearing on the shaft then tighten grub screw. Grub screw only stops the collar from rotating and all coming lose.

ok, got a question rock doctor, I decided to replace that rear axle I was having trouble with. So I had to replace with the newer style axle that requires the smaller inner bearing and has the washer and bolt on the end. Now my question, when I put my inner bearing back in, do I put the collar w/set screws towards the middle or the outside?? I noticed yours was facing the middle, not towards the outside of the argo.

Thanks,
    Steve Cornick
    Steve Cornick

Anyone?
    Steve Cornick

The set screws/collar go to the middle of vehicle. Since you are retro fitting and I've never done what you're doing, I would check to make sure the sprocket alignment is where it should be to match the other axles. I'm not familiar with how the sprockets locate on your '93.
    To Invent, you need a good imagination and a pile of junk. (Thomas Edison)

Quote Originally Posted by ArgoSteve View Post
    Anyone?
    Hey,
    I did respond, not sure why it never posted.
    Anyway, I said much the same as Roger has posted. I also mentioned that with the newer axle being "Located" with the inner bearing, the new axle might not locate exactly the same as the old ones.
    We did the back 4 axles of a 6x6 quite a while back, and I seem to remember that we had to move the front axles in or out a bit. I just don't remember all that we did.

+ Reply to Thread