Advise Needed

1. Welcome to 6x6 World.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. Looking forward to seeing you in the forums and talking about AATVs!
+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Advise Needed

Advise Needed

Well About 2 Months Ago I Purchased My First Max Iv Drove It For 1 Hr In The Woods And Water (no Problems),last Week I Closed On 138 Acre Peice Of Property In Ny State,, So Off I Went Today To Do Some 6x6 Driving And Found That (1) The Throttle Was Very Hard To Squeeze,heated Cable And I Had It Greease Before I Went, (2) Engine Was Slugish As Thow Clutch Or Belt Needed To Be Adjusted No Tourgue , (3)when I Pulled Back On Lever To Turn ,didnt Have Enough Power To Turn (im Thinking That Could Be Belt Adjustment)as Well As I Noticed That When Stopping I Had To Pull Lever All The Way Back To The Seat,(maybe Adjustment On The Bands Or Need New Ones ? Any And All Imput Are Welcome.thanks Again ,,john

John,

Can you give some more info as to the year and condition on the machine? Right off the bat I would say the the T20 needs to be adjusted due to the travel of your laterals. See the adjustment thread that Mike started.

The lack of torque and speed is probably a belt issue. Again based on what the condition is gives the course of action.

Older belt = get a new one they are not that expensive and you'll be starting new.

New Belt = Adjustment and belt dressing.

I would also try to determine what happend to the machine between the time you last rode it until now. Was it left outside?

Mike

Well It Was In My Garage As Well As The Previous Owner ,,this Thing Has Never Been Out Side Its In Like New Condition I Ownly Drove It For 10 Min When I First Got It, But The Belt Looks New , Its A 2003 Max Iv 25hp Air Cooled Koehler,, Thank You For The Quick Reply

John,

Like Mike (micmac) suggested, I would start with the T20. Go to the second post in this thread: http://www.6x6world.com/forums/trans...-20-setup.html

Print that post by budresiew out and follow it step by step. It is a bit of a tedious process but it will make sure that your T20 is set up properly. Try that out first and see how it does. Since your Max is so new and has been well taken care of I bet that's all it is.

Let us know how it goes. If that doesn't work I'm sure micmac or someone else would be able to help more from there.

Max Iv

John,
    The 25hp Kohler should give the max plenty of power. The belt could be glazed on the sides where it contacts the pulleys. Trying a new belt wouldn't hurt, and you would have the old one for a spare.
    On the throttle cable, if water got down in the cable from being caught in the rain or washing the max, it could have rusted it as it sat in the garage. Recreatives sells a kit to lubricate the cable that will force lube all the way through, pushing any water out. If that doesn't work you may need to replace the cable. It would be a good idea for anyone to lube their throttle cable whenever you lube the chains or get your max really wet. (see my pics in the gallery on getting really wet) Recreatives came out with an improved cable and lever right around 2003, so you may have one of the last machines with the older style.
    On the trans I agree with the Mikes. If you continue to have problems, you can always give the factory a call for help.
    -Dan

Thank You Guys Again ,i Really Appreciate Your Quick Replies And Your Dedication To The Site,and Us New To The World Of 6x6ers,, I Will Get To This Thing On The Weekend And Let You Know How I Made Out ,, Thanxs

Thumbs down

Thats good advice about the cable lube kit. I am going to need it.

I think it is fairly unusual for such a new machine to need a trans adjustment. You might want to check the fluid in the trans. If it's dry or contains gear lube, you might have band trouble. That would explain the excessive stick travel and difficulty steering. That's just one possibility amoung many with the info we have to work with. Does it sound like the engine is running strong? You should be able to turn even with a belt in poor condition. As you are pulling back on one stick to turn, push forward on the other to ensure you are putting power to the driving side.
    Everybody dies, but not everybody lives.

It Good To Go Now

Well My First Peoblem With The Throttle Was The End Of The Cable Was Bent Down And Was Pushing On The Choke So I Was Getting Any Gas, 2nd Thats Also Why It Was Very Hard To Push, 3rd I Put A New Belt On And That Helped, And 4th I Adjusted My Latterals,the Had To Much Play , Abot 10 Inches When Pulling Back When They Should Be 7 Inches ,, So I Called Jay At Ri Who Walked Me Through Adjusting The Right And Left Top Bolts On The Bands And All Is Well ,, Jay Was Very Helpful And Took The Extra Time To Walk Me Thru It ,,if Anyone Needs Help Or Has A Question He Is More Than Happy To Assist.

That's what is so cool about RI. You can just call them up if you ever need anything and they are there for you regardless of the question or problem that you have. Customer support at its finest. I can't tell you how much Dan has helped me on the phone.

+ Reply to Thread