Cage / Rollbar ?

1. Welcome to 6x6 World.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. Looking forward to seeing you in the forums and talking about AATVs!
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Cage / Rollbar ?

Cage / Rollbar ?

I'm getting ready to fabricate some sort of protection for my bigfoot. I would appreciate any pics, or ideas for good anchoring locations. I do use my top in the winter & ride the wife & both kids. Keeping that in mind, I don't want to loose functionality of the top or rear seat! Yes I do know argo offers the rollbar, but you loose the rear seat / or the ROPS but it looks heavy. I'm a big boy & tote lots of gear!
    Jeff
    02 Argo Bigfoot

I never get lost : I take expeditions!
    I'm guided by the Magic 8 Ball.

Jeff, that's one of the first things that caught my eye when I saw a picture of the Argo ROPS. It looked way too beefy for recreational use. I don't know enough about Argos to give any suggestions about building the roll cage but you can probably get some good ideas from the gallery. Several people have roll cages for Max's and Attex's that you could incorporate parts of into your Argo cage.

I think you really have two good ways to tie into something. Either tie directly into the frame somewhere (I don't know if this is possible with your Argo) or you can create a "bumper" out of angle iron around the outside of the machine wherever you want to tie into and weld to that.

I really haven't seen a lot of argos with roll cages but maybe someone will chime in with some good advice for you.

If you do build one be sure to take lots of pictures

I don't have a rollbar, but if I was to do it, I would mount it to my rack. A friend has a similar setup to mine, and what he did was, sink some threaded fittings into the rack and weld in place, Works good and is very strong.
    You could also tie it in to a front bumper, like mine. The rack fits around my top, so mounting a rollbar to it would not interfier.

Rock Doctor, that's how I tied my roll cage in to my Max. I made a full bumper like yours around the entire Max and then welded the cage to that. I ground down the welds and painted the bumper red so in the pictures it is hard to see but here is a picture of it off the Max.

Here it is painted and on the Max (click for the big picture)

Looks good Mike,
    The front bumper on my Argo is the only one I've built where I left the welds unground. Part of that was because I was in a hurry, and also because I wanted something different. Turned out that I liked it, so it stayed.

Mike,
    I like the idea you used on the max. I can do roughly the same on the argo. The argo has a 2pc body that's riveted. I can build a bumper & sandwich it between the upper & lower halves, then bolt it together for ridgidity! Thanks guys. I did look through the pics & see tons of ways to do it. I think this will work best for me. What size tube did you use?
    Jeff
    02 Argo Bigfoot

Doc, I like the way that yours looks. Your welds are even and nice. My welds were a different story though

And Jeff, I have mine sitting on top of the upper body instead of being sandwiched between the two halfs. I didn't know if you thought it was between the two since you really can't tell in the pics or if that's just the way that you are going to do it. As for the pipe, I am drawing a blank on the diameter momentarily. It's poop pipe. I'm sure you can get it from lowes or home depot in 10' lengths.

Hey Jeff, I would not try to tell you what to do, but I'm with Mike on this one, I would not split the tub, the bumper looks much better mounted on top of the splitline, and is plenty strong just bolted through with washers to back it up.

I was actually planning on using some T-bar that I have. It will fit nicely between the 2 halves! I'm gonna end up splitting the tub to do a little maintainance. The frame is pretty rusty & in desperate need of a fresh powder coat! The first owner never even got an hr on it, but left it out in the weather for 2 monthes. The tub filled to about 8in deep. The second owner replaced the chains & bearings, then added the windshield, top, and winch. He then passed from cancer, only got15-20hrs on it. Time has done a number on the frame. If I fix it now I will never have to worry about it again. While the frame & drive train is out I'm adding hoses to fit my evacuator pump. Make an oil change easy!
    Jeff
    02 Argo Bigfoot

If you are going to that trouble, you might want to consider installing "Remote Grease Lines" to your front inner bearings. The grease nipples can be removed from your bearing housings and stainless 1/4" tubing can be run to a more accesible point.
    It is so much easier than trying to get your hands through all the crap to access grease points.

+ Reply to Thread