"new" truck

1. Welcome to 6x6 World.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. Looking forward to seeing you in the forums and talking about AATVs!
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: "new" truck

The earlier (GM) 6.2s were a bit problematic and not very convincing as the other guys touched on. One big problem was the glow plugs swelling in the heads. (Which was quite common.) They didn't last long in the first place, and if they swelled and you broke one taking them out, off with your head. NOT A CHEAP OR SIMPLE JOB. They also weren't too brag-worthy on the power side either. All around common comute to-and-from-work/store engines in my book. If you put an injector pump in, you might as well change the injectors too. Whatever wore away from the inside of that pump is probably sitting in the nozzles of the injectors. (restricting the spray pattern) Also, a pump installed is gonna start around $1,200.00. AND it HAS to be timed. (The 6.2 was pre electronic control) I don't know of any shops/parts stores that rent diesel injection pump timing equipment (Time-Trak etc..) and it is very expensive to buy if you're only gonna use it once. One member mentioned the 7.3L. It was a good motor for it's day. It is actually an International (Diesel) motor, and too was pre-electronic control. The biggest problems I saw with those were the lift/transfer pump check valve, (Trivial) and injector pump shut-down solenoids. (Also trivial). There were glow plug concerns, but most of that was tied to the controller or short lifespan of the plugs themselves. (Never had one swell in the head.) The successor of the 7.3 was jointly developed by Ford and International. It was the T444E. (Tripple 4 E) It was actually the same 7.3L, (7.3L is actually 444 cu in) but was electronically controlled with HEUI injectors. It was a good motor and there weren't any real issues with it. Inectors and glow plugs at about 150k miles comes to mind. And IPR (Injection Pressure Regulator) failure. Not too bad. Also The oil gally plug seals prematurely failed, but were upgraded. Enough on that. One member mentioned a good gasser for what you want. He/she is pretty close in that suggestion. Diesels are designed to work/run. If you are just towing around a 6x6, it may be a bit of over-kill. I have a 4.3L gasser in my S15 Jimmy and I tow my 1969 19ft cathedral hull fiberglass all over without a big concern of gas mileage or power. In fact, this motor/drivetrain is advertised to pull/tow 5000lb. It does OK. Also remember, that even with todays hi-tech electronec controlled diesel engines, the worst thing for them is to let them idle. And if you do alot of city driving, it's a waste in my book. As I said, they are designed to work/run. This was supposed to be my 2 cents worth, but now that I read it, it's more like a-buck-and-a-half. Sorry for being so winded, but if it helps. GREAT. I don't want to talk you out of anything, just weigh your options.
    It's all just nuts and bolts.

Smartly written and good info Jeff. Thanks.

wow, thanks for all that info
    i think i'm gonna forget about this one and look for a dodge with a late 12 valve or early 24 valve as someone suggested to me. i have friends with a large boat which i would pull on occasion and the only trailers available to me for more than just my ATV are very large.

atv93,

I might be able to help you out. I have 2 that I would part with. PM sent.

McCoy

Dodge used to run the Cummins 6BT (in-line 6) and later the ISB. Both good engines overall. Not really any big issues that I remember. Injectors are easy enough to change. I do remember the 6BT going through lift/transfer pumps. I just eliminated it and converted to an electric one.
    It's all just nuts and bolts.

Quote Originally Posted by McCoy View Post
    atv93,

I might be able to help you out. I have 2 that I would part with. PM sent.

McCoy
    you have a PM

Quote Originally Posted by atvrider93 View Post
    you have a PM
    i'm still interested in the 2500 but i guess you arent ready to sell it

how about a 2001 f250 superduty extended cab
    7.3L V8 diesel
    automatic harvest gold
    107K miles
    Power Equipment
    Power Steering
    Power Windows
    Power Locks

Safety Features
    Anti-Lock Brakes
    Driver's Air Bag
    Passenger Air Bag
    Intermittent Wipers

i think it has a camper cover over the bed
    it's from the dealer so its been inspected/looked over
    the price they told me is $13,960

Quote Originally Posted by Jeff t-boss View Post
    The earlier (GM) 6.2s were a bit problematic and not very convincing as the other guys touched on. One big problem was the glow plugs swelling in the heads. (Which was quite common.) They didn't last long in the first place, and if they swelled and you broke one taking them out, off with your head. NOT A CHEAP OR SIMPLE JOB. They also weren't too brag-worthy on the power side either. All around common comute to-and-from-work/store engines in my book. If you put an injector pump in, you might as well change the injectors too. Whatever wore away from the inside of that pump is probably sitting in the nozzles of the injectors. (restricting the spray pattern) Also, a pump installed is gonna start around $1,200.00. AND it HAS to be timed. (The 6.2 was pre electronic control) I don't know of any shops/parts stores that rent diesel injection pump timing equipment (Time-Trak etc..) and it is very expensive to buy if you're only gonna use it once. One member mentioned the 7.3L. It was a good motor for it's day. It is actually an International (Diesel) motor, and too was pre-electronic control. The biggest problems I saw with those were the lift/transfer pump check valve, (Trivial) and injector pump shut-down solenoids. (Also trivial). There were glow plug concerns, but most of that was tied to the controller or short lifespan of the plugs themselves. (Never had one swell in the head.) The successor of the 7.3 was jointly developed by Ford and International. It was the T444E. (Tripple 4 E) It was actually the same 7.3L, (7.3L is actually 444 cu in) but was electronically controlled with HEUI injectors. It was a good motor and there weren't any real issues with it. Inectors and glow plugs at about 150k miles comes to mind. And IPR (Injection Pressure Regulator) failure. Not too bad. Also The oil gally plug seals prematurely failed, but were upgraded. Enough on that. One member mentioned a good gasser for what you want. He/she is pretty close in that suggestion. Diesels are designed to work/run. If you are just towing around a 6x6, it may be a bit of over-kill. I have a 4.3L gasser in my S15 Jimmy and I tow my 1969 19ft cathedral hull fiberglass all over without a big concern of gas mileage or power. In fact, this motor/drivetrain is advertised to pull/tow 5000lb. It does OK. Also remember, that even with todays hi-tech electronec controlled diesel engines, the worst thing for them is to let them idle. And if you do alot of city driving, it's a waste in my book. As I said, they are designed to work/run. This was supposed to be my 2 cents worth, but now that I read it, it's more like a-buck-and-a-half. Sorry for being so winded, but if it helps. GREAT. I don't want to talk you out of anything, just weigh your options.
    That is true about GM glowplugs,But the main reason that happens is because the glowplug driver is bad,and the owner drowns the engine in starting fluid,the same thing will happen with a Ford/Navistar.Dodge does not use glow plugs,they use a heating element just above the intake.
    This is a very cool site BTW

Quote Originally Posted by Tom View Post
    That is true about GM glowplugs,But the main reason that happens is because the glowplug driver is bad,and the owner drowns the engine in starting fluid,the same thing will happen with a Ford/Navistar.Dodge does not use glow plugs,they use a heating element just above the intake.
    This is a very cool site BTW
    i found 2 more that are 1K less
    one is a 2000, other is 2005, both extended cab, not sure on the bed

Check out dieseltowingresource.com (see my sig).

There is some great information there, especially on the 6.2 and 6.5s.

+ Reply to Thread