Another Attex Racer Built

1. Welcome to 6x6 World.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. Looking forward to seeing you in the forums and talking about AATVs!
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 7 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread: Another Attex Racer Built

Another Attex Racer Built

Well everyone, I learned a lot from racing in my first race ever this past weekend at Ashtabula. It was an absolute blast and a total adrenaline rush, especially during the rollovers. After talking to a lot of knowledgable folks, seeing other racers, and getting some hands on experience in the race I've decided to take all of that information and use it to build my next racer. I'll be keeping my first generation racer since it feels like rocketship when you get behind the sticks, but I will build my new machine to fix the shortcomings of it.

The stance and weight will be the first aspects I'm going to look at. I got aluminum wheels, which cut a lot of weight off of the rolling mass of the machine. The second generation Attex will be a bit heavier than my first generation machine, so anything I can do to save weight without sacraficing strength will help. The wheels are not the standard 4/4 offset like most AATV wheels, they're 3/5 offset. I'll have an inch wider stance on each side of the machine. This will certainly help with stability and hopefully cut my odds of rolling.....and everyone knows I need all the help I can get when it comes to that.

I got a really nice 4 chain frame (all covered in grease with nice black paint underneath) with a 400/440 JLO engine mount on it from Amphiman1 today, along with the outter flanges, spacers, and chain adjusters. I have all new inner and outter bearings on their way as well. Boncrshr gave me a complete set of inner bearing flanges that he had from his Hustler build. Later model Hustler 950 and 980's used the same flanges as 4 chain Attex frames did. I have a T-20 that is ready to go that I'll be dropping in it. I will be getting some new 1" steel rod and making new axles as well. I've located a set of sprockets and a lower body too. This should be a really fun project that looks like it won't take all that long to complete, especially since there is much less custom fab work that needs to be done compared to my first generation racer build.

Here are the new shoes for it, Nankang Chevrons on ITP aluminum wheels........they're suuuuuuuper light weight!

Attached Images
    Last edited by jpswift1; 05-28-2009 at 12:35 AM.
    "Looks like you have a problem with your 4 wheeler........you're missin' two wheels there"

Got the fever?
    Banned

I sure do, George! This now becomes a really fun challenge to see how well and how capable you can build the next machine. And seeing all of those cool machines at Ashtabula racing really made me want to start wrenching on another racer.
    "Looks like you have a problem with your 4 wheeler........you're missin' two wheels there"

JP,That roll over was the coolest.Put you some of those j wheelz on the new one......

JP they are 4 bolt and perfect for the Blackbird.

He's addicted.

JP isn't the only one!!!!!

George sent me this Picture. I don't know who took it but it was of the start of the race and i got to drive the spider.
    This was enough to hook me.

http://www.6x6world.com/gallery/data...er_on_line.JPG

Note: front wheels of Spider are off ground.
    Attached Images

cool Lewis!!!!!!!

OK everyone, I've got some updates on the new racer build. I got the rest of my ITP polished aluminum wheels (I still need to have 4 of the Nankang chevrons mounted), I got the sprockets off of the old axles with the help of my dad, a lot of heat from the torch, and a sledge hammer, the engine and the mount is all setup, I got a set of brand new Fafnir outter bearings from ebay, the exhaust fits over the T-20, and the front frame reinforcement has been set up. I still need a body and a driven clutch for my T-20, but I'll be getting those this weekend. After that it will be time to fab up the cage, clean the frame and prep it for paint, and cut some new axles. It is coming along slowly, but this time I want to have it up and running 100% before Ashtabula next year. Thanks again to everyone for helping me to get my other racer up and running so I could race!

Last edited by jpswift1; 07-07-2009 at 04:52 PM.

Cool New Shoes

Really good looking set . I am looking for wheels simular to those. Where did you pick them up?

Still want a KID

+ Reply to Thread