Another Attex Racer Built

1. Welcome to 6x6 World.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. Looking forward to seeing you in the forums and talking about AATVs!
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast

Thread: Another Attex Racer Built

Quote Originally Posted by kahn View Post
    Really good looking set . I am looking for wheels simular to those. Where did you pick them up?

Thanks, Kahn. I'm very happy with them. I picked them up off ebay. I had to do quite a bit of searching on there, but I was lucky enough to find all that I needed.

Also, 6X6World member Brian E. Seas was nice enough to sell me an upper body for my racer. We all met at Amphiman's to exchange parts and Brian bought a first generation Attex from him. Anyways, the body is from a 440 Thunderchief and aside from the weathering and oxidation (which you really can't see in the pictures from the old Craigslist ad that I attached), it is in pretty good shape. This is the body that was from that machine which was all over Craigslist and ebay for a long time about a year ago. Brian sent a lot of the parts my way which will help me with my racer, along with 6 new axles that he made. Thanks again, Brian....that is a huge step forward for my racer project.

I've spent a couple hours over the past two days cleaning up the body starting with 80 grit sandpaper and working my way up to 2000 grit and it has turned out great! I really can't believe how it shines now. I just finished all of the front tonight and I'll have pictures up tomorrow. I just wish I took more before pictures of it to show how oxidized it really was. Also, I really like the look 440 Thunderchief and so I decided to stick with the stock graphics and front fascia treatment that came on the model in 1973. I took a picture from the gallery (I believe it was Mike, Don's, Whipper, or George's shot from Ashtabula) and altered it in Microsoft Paint to make Hydromike's D/stock racer look like a 440 Thunderchief. I really like the look of it, and I think the polished aluminum wheels will compliment the machine nicely.
    "Looks like you have a problem with your 4 wheeler........you're missin' two wheels there"

Thumbs down Awesome

That's going to be a great looking machine JP. Use a little soapy water in a squirt bottle with that 2000 grit and it will shine like new money Love those wheels, do they make them in a 5 lug.

Been busy last little while and missed your progress on the machine, but it is looking good. Keep posting pictures! We like pictures

Wax onWax off

Quote Originally Posted by lewis View Post
    That's going to be a great looking machine JP. Use a little soapy water in a squirt bottle with that 2000 grit and it will shine like new money Love those wheels, do they make them in a 5 lug.

Been busy last little while and missed your progress on the machine, but it is looking good. Keep posting pictures! We like pictures

Wax onWax off
    Wax on, wax off indeed, Lewis..........until we get Carpal Tunnel Syndrome, haha. Thanks for the kind words and the good tips. I wet sand with 2000 grit, but I never thought to use soapy water. I bet that works great. How is the progress on your machine coming along?

Unfortunately I don't think those wheels come in 5 lug in our bolt pattern, but that is only ITP. Douglas Wheels, I believe come in a 5x4.5" bolt pattern, but only in their "Blue Label" line which are only .125" thick. The ones I got through ITP are .190" thick, plus I got a great deal on them through ebay. If you contacted Douglas DWT Racing Official Site they might be able to hook you up with something, maybe even for the right price custom drill their "Red Label" wheels which are .190" thick for our 5 bolt lug pattern. Mike was nice enough to make me a template up for an adapter plate for 3 to 4 lug so I was able to use these wheels without a problem. You could always search ebay, get some 4 wheeler wheels cheap and use the template to make adapters for them.
    "Looks like you have a problem with your 4 wheeler........you're missin' two wheels there"

It's moving rather slowly, but...that's ok. It should be done before Ash next year. Parts are coming together, and some are being made, so it moves at a slow pace. I'll post up some pics when it makes a significant change. Right now it is still wax on-wax off and body repairs. Again nice work on the racer.

Here's the pictures of the progress that I've made on the top so far. Today the rain has been on and off so I haven't been able to get that much done on it (note the raindrops on the hood). It is a lot of work, but being able to see your reflection in the bright yellow ABS plastic is well worth the effort.

Nice Project jp!

I like those wheels. I just bought eight of them for my Argo. They were the only wheel I could find to fit a 4 x 100mm bolt pattern. I like the extra width they provide too.

Good luck with the racing. I watched some of the videos and it looks FUN.

Buggies Unlimited Sells Some Nice Rims And Tires.it's A Golfcart Place But A Rim Is A Rim.

Quote Originally Posted by MarshallEpp View Post
    Buggies Unlimited Sells Some Nice Rims And Tires.it's A Golfcart Place But A Rim Is A Rim.
    Thanks for the heads up on that. Here are the rims that would fit many 6 wheeler 4 on 4" bolt patterns, although I really don't know how thick the aluminum is on these rims.

8x8 Polished Aluminum Wheel | BuggiesUnlimited.com

I went with the ITP Pro Race wheels because they're the thickest aluminum wheels that you can buy and I was able to get them much cheaper on ebay. I'm trying to build this machine without going overboard on cost.

I haven't updated this thread in forever, and since Hydromike and I got the cage built I figured I'd show you guys what I'm up to. As everyone saw in this other thread, the cage is looking great.....Mike is an artist when it comes to bending tubing.

http://www.6x6world.com/forums/attex...new-racer.html

Today I got it painted with nice glossy black paint. Now it is basically just bolting things together, and getting the lower body patched up. Here's a shot of the frame painted.
    Attached Images

Very nice JP!!!! Coming along nicely. Looking forward to competing with you on the track.

+ Reply to Thread