Does anyone have a repair mantance CD

1. Welcome to 6x6 World.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. Looking forward to seeing you in the forums and talking about AATVs!
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Does anyone have a repair mantance CD

Does anyone have a repair mantance CD

HI All,
    I need to get a hold of a repair book or a cd for my 2001 Bigfoot.
    last weekend my front right bearing went and I would like to do the repair myself with the help of a repair manuel.

Any suggestions?

Thanks Chris

I bet that even if you can't find a CD from someone that there is probably someone here who has done an Argo before. Perhaps they could just walk you through it. Also, if you have access to a camera feel free to take pictures and post a "how-to" in the articles section so others can see step by step. I have all the pics for a Max but just haven't had the time to upload them yet.

Hopefully someone will chime in soon and help you though.

I have parts lists & owners manuals for the bigfoot PDF. PM me an e-mail & I'll try to send them as a file. They may or maynot be too big to send!
    I also have the owners manual & parts list for the Briggs 18HP Vanguard.
    Let me know if any of that will do ya.
    BTW: When I picked up on all this info, the rep from ODG told me there is no real repair manual. Not even my Dealer has a manual. He's got the same info I have!
    Jeff
    02 Argo Bigfoot

I never get lost : I take expeditions!
    I'm guided by the Magic 8 Ball.

Thanks Guy's
    I do have a part list and owners manuel as well.
    I was hoping for a repair manuel.....

Thanks for responding

Chris

I'll give er a try but no spell check or punctuation.

pull the engine air duct out

get the axles off the ground

the bolt in the end of the axle by the inner bearing comes out. loosen the two set screws on the inner bearing race.

take the 4 nuts/washers off the long bolts that mount the axle extension housing.. they are to the outside of the front axle sprocket. if you want more room to work, you can pull the chain and slide the sprocket inward farther. may want to pull battery for chain access.

if the axle is not rusted to the inner bearing, the axle will now pull out, the outer bearing and flange coming with it.

measure how far the outer bearing is on the shaft

loosen the two set screws on the outer bearing, get it off the axle. you'll need new seals or a new flange with new seals in it. If you use the old flange, it needs to be flat.

examine axle where bearing and seals run. sometimes bearing wears the axle down and a new brg is a sloppy fit. also dirt on the seals wear the soft axle. if not bad you can polish it up. other options are swap axles from middle or rear(one without axle extension housing) that gives new surfaces. or buy new axle. I use seals with retainer springs in the lip seal bought at brg supply. they work on worn axles.

when ready to assemble, slide flange with bolts on axle. slide the bearing on, a 1/8" less than before, and tighten the set screws lightly. reach in and move the sprocket and chain back out of the way, put the axle in and lightly tighten up the bolt/washers in the end of axle. what this does is locate the outer bearing on the axle. remove the axle and tighten the outer bearing set screws. put axle back in, with a gasket in place and sprocket this time.

notice there is a place on the axle for the sprocket set screw to locate. disregard this on the front axles, as argo doesn't use set screws there, but if you change middle or rear bearings pay attention to this as they do use set screws.

don't use gasket sealer on the outer cork, it'll let the cork slide out of place the. i use silicone on the bolt heads. don't over tighten the 4 nuts and push the cork out of shape. also is good idea to align the grease holes in bearing with the grease zert in flange.

Roger,
    Thanks so much,
    I'm going to print this and give it a try.

I'll keep you posted

Again Thanks

Chris

That's great info Roger. I have a bad bearing on the axle shaft that comes out of the engine and drivers the sprocket. It is the outer bearing that is shot under the battery tray. Is it basically the same type of steps that you described above except the removal and inserting will be different.
    Thanks

I am doing that same thing right now!

The bearings are the same part as axle bearings. I pulled the brake rotors off, out of the way. Battery box, too. Unbolt the bearing retainers, let it all fall apart, push the shaft inward 'till the outside brg is out. Then pull the shaft up and out. The outer brg is set screwed on the shaft. The inner brg floats on the splines, with it's set screws down in the splines to keep in from spinning. But it will slide. The set screws on the outer bearing are the only thing that controls lateral movement. I thought that was an iffy design. Be sure to loctite them.

Thanks Roger. By the way, I heard that if you are doing the one side now, you're best to do the other side as well. I had a dealer do the other side a few months ago and a ridiculous price and thus why the self mmc on something that involves mainly wrenching.

Well we spent about 6 hours trying to get the idler shaft out and it still would not come. The outer bearing has completely fallen apart, but the shaft appears seized to the inner bearing. We have play in the bearing, but no enough to clear the outer frame flange. We have removed the brake rotor, chains, and tried drilling out the grub screws on the inner bearing. Still the shaft will not move. Any suggestions?
    Tks

+ Reply to Thread