The new Argo 24" Frontier tire

1. Welcome to 6x6 World.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. Looking forward to seeing you in the forums and talking about AATVs!
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast

Thread: The new Argo 24" Frontier tire

What kind of price are y'all finding on these 24" argo tires?
    Looks like "argo dealer price" is about $120
    My local Argo dealer also wants close to that for replacement rawhide III's.
    We all know those rawhides are so much cheaper on the web it's not even funny.
    Are there any other outlets to get a set?

The new Argo 24" Frontier tire

Egoperf,

I love the water speed of the new Argo Frontier 24" tires, but I don,t think they will work well in the dark,thick,slimy, slick, gumbo mud we have in Louisiana. I also wonder about the long term durabilty of the Frontier tires since they are softer 2 ply tires, and that is what makes them ride so good.

Tiresunlimited.com has decent deals on a lot of tires. Shipping is fair for them as well. I've looked around quite a bit, and they seem to have one of the best prices around.

~m

Carlisle makes the tire and appears specifically for Argo.. says argo on the tire. No one has found a carlisle rep or dealer to buy from yet. But please find one

I think opinions vary about the tire 'cause of what we would do with them. A response or conquest upgrade, a max II, sounds like a wish come true. A maxIV that has 26" already --well not quite as appealing at first.

The ride and traction, light weight(meaning shed 20 lbs per axle on an avenger or IV), is something you don't forget. Also turns/skids easy. I have seen the frontier in a lot of different mud/goop/pudding. The tread will clear better than any conventional mud tire that's caked up from being run the wrong direction for swimming's sake. The way I look at it, any tread that's not clogged and is getting traction will move you. Otherwise you are swimming, depending on the propulsion of the tread.

I don't like the $120 price, esp for 8

I'd like to see a 25-26x13x9 version, and a wider 24" also.

I saw that the tire has Carlisle 189 on it in addition to argo's name on it.
    We need to find a distributor. I know these can be had for MUCH less than the $120 the dealer wants for them.

I would guess that they're $120 just because they say "Argo" on them. I would have thought they would sell more tires if they were cheaper but for some reason they have to be exclusively for Argo.......probably for $$$$ in someones pocket that is high up in the company.
    "Looks like you have a problem with your 4 wheeler........you're missin' two wheels there"

Here's their dealer locater. Maybe try one of them?

Carlisle Tire & Wheel Company

Goodyear tires are cheap... they've been around for years and they sell thousands of them. Argo custom designed this new tire for their vehicles. I've said it needed to be done for years. They did it right and it turned out great. I've sold a few sets and I charge $125 per tire, as stated in the parts manual. There is no other direct source... but why should there be? Argo spent big money designing these for a very limited market. I think $125 is a small price to pay for our very own amphibious ATV tire. If it was left up to Recreatives or another tire company, we wouldn't have the tire!
    Everybody dies, but not everybody lives.

These tires have been out for a very short period of time, and I've already seen gaping holes ripped in the sidewalls on 3 or 4 machines. I don't have any reason to believe that these tires were used in a specifically harsh application or were abused beyond the expected conditions that an AATV would see. While Argo may have designed these tires for great water speed and ride quality, I certainly don't think they're the ultimate answer for an AATV.

I gladly trade top end water speed for durability. I only have one set of Rawhide III tires, and I really love the ride quality, the traction, the water speed, etc. Ahhh, good old cheap Goodyears...

I agree that it's good that ODG has taken the initiative to better the hobby. But at $125 per tire, regardless of how much R&D went into it, it had better hold up a lot better than what I've seen.

~m

I agree 100% with Mike. I have also seen these these new Argo tires (that have been on a machine for a very short period of time) get massive rips in the sidewalls. Perhaps there needed to be additional time spent on developing a more aggressive sidewall design. These tires seem to be a copy or scaled up version of the Goodyear Runamuck. Good ride and good water performance, but questionable durability. The Goodyear Rawhide III tires in my opinion, although not super fast in the water, provide the best traction and best ride for your 6x6. Hopefully with the interest that this site has generated we can encourage more R & D from all companies out there. I am almost certain that more companies would jump on board in developing new products (such as tires) if there is a larger market. It is a shame that the market is so small for such great machines, but who knows, that could change.......
    Last edited by jpswift1; 08-28-2007 at 11:34 AM.
    "Looks like you have a problem with your 4 wheeler........you're missin' two wheels there"

+ Reply to Thread