The new Argo 24" Frontier tire

1. Welcome to 6x6 World.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. Looking forward to seeing you in the forums and talking about AATVs!
+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast

Thread: The new Argo 24" Frontier tire

Thanks for the negative report on the tires, as I have not seen those problems myself on the two weekends where frontiers were thrashed w/o regard for tire and wheel. The tire is carlisle and not goodyear runamuk although same tread design.

I think driver care, along with air pressure/aggressive driving have influence. I see rawhide III sidewall damage all over the place.. a dozen plugs sticking out the sides. Assume they are rim pinches, running low psi or hitting unseen stuff in ruts. Also seen a set of runamuks full of plugs, from a driver who was so careless and rough it took 8 psi to keep the wheels from being beat up. Myself, wore out a set of runamuks with only one thorn puncture in the tread, never any sidewall damage although I bent the rims a lot from low psi.

I think the rawhide III has a weak sidewall, mediocre traction and swimming. But what else is there for the price. They don't make the size I want so I have to look elsewhere.

Quote Originally Posted by Roger S View Post
    I think the rawhide III has a weak sidewall, mediocre traction and swimming. But what else is there for the price.
    Ahhh, there's the clincher. Rawhide IIIs certainly aren't the ultimate answer either, but for the price of one Argo tire (at $125) I can just about buy 3 of the Goodyears. For 3x the money, that Argo tire had better perform leaps and bounds better than my Goodyear in every single category, inclusive of the sidewall issue. $750 is a lot to wager that it does.

Roger, your point that it has a lot to do with the driver is exactly right. Anybody can destroy just about any tire if you're trying hard enough. Doing 20mph into a pile of rocks with 1 psi in a tire is going to thrash anything. I have to be careful just for this reason with the Nankang Chevrons on both race machines. I'm sure a pointy stick would go through them with the utmost of ease, but boy do they land nice from about 2 feet in the air.

~M

I have never put a hole in any of the sets of Rawhide III's that have been on my machines (knock on wood), and they have about 1" deep lugs that really bite and dont clog up with mud very easily. I have also had very good luck with them in the snow as well. To each their own I suppose.
    I have beat on these Rawhide III's at times, as many of my friends that go riding with me have seen, and I have yet to do any damage to them. I would agree with the statement saying that the durability of a tire does have a lot to do with the driver, but from what I have seen with the many machines I have worked on and owned, that these tires give you the absolute most bang for your buck. And if something does happen to them, they can be replaced fairly inexpensively too.
    "Looks like you have a problem with your 4 wheeler........you're missin' two wheels there"

Guys watch the video I just posted. It will give you all the reasons to think about a set of Swamp Fox Plus tires and quit worring about the water speed of these argo tires.

Anybody use these AT 101 carlisles? looks like a lightweight budget tire.

Now off to see Dan's video..

Carlisle Tire & Wheel Company

I know that they are a pretty hard tire that lasts a long time, but I couldnt tell you much more than that. I believe that REB181 has tires that are the same design, but made by Kenda on his Hustler.
    "Looks like you have a problem with your 4 wheeler........you're missin' two wheels there"

the swampfox plus
    Attached Images

Roger,

I have used those Carlisle tires for the past 4 years on my zero turn mower. I have gone through 4 sets. I used to cut a lot of yards too and would turn on pavement and concrete quite often but even so, they didn't seem to last long at all. Of course they might last forever on a 6x6, who knows.

Right before I tore my Max apart I threw them on to see if there was much difference size wise compared to my bald Goodyears.
    Attached Images

Quote Originally Posted by MaxRules View Post
    Goodyear tires are cheap... they've been around for years and they sell thousands of them. Argo custom designed this new tire for their vehicles. I've said it needed to be done for years. They did it right and it turned out great. I've sold a few sets and I charge $125 per tire, as stated in the parts manual. There is no other direct source... but why should there be? Argo spent big money designing these for a very limited market. I think $125 is a small price to pay for our very own amphibious ATV tire. If it was left up to Recreatives or another tire company, we wouldn't have the tire!
    I really do not care how much money ODG spent with Carlisle increasing the lug depth of a goodyear runamuck so they could put their name on it.
    I will agree that it was a step in the right direction, but from the feedback owners of this tire are giving they are not the perfect tire. Therefore I believe the opinion of most on here is that these tires in no way represent a $125 value.

Lightbulb $$ tires

Hi Guys, I usually don't have much to say ,but for the price and styles avalible seem like this might not be a bad site to check out.They were the lowest I could find on several styles 26x12.00x12 4 ply AG LUGtires. I'm looking to replace the old ones on my MAX IV. (Affordable Duro Tire Sales) duroatvtires.com If there's anyone that has had any issues pos or neg with the Duros I would be quite greatful for any feedback.
    THANKS DOG

+ Reply to Thread