convert shower door became a windshield

1. Welcome to 6x6 World.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. Looking forward to seeing you in the forums and talking about AATVs!
+ Reply to Thread

Thread: convert shower door became a windshield

convert shower door became a windshield

I have a clear shower door ( 30" x 70" ) , wants bring down to glass shop and cut down the size for Max's windshield. Is good idea or too risky? Please input your comment.
    Thanks.

I would just get a piece of LEXAN plastic. Its bullet proof and holds up well
    Last edited by trebmaster; 05-09-2009 at 09:40 PM.
    Kevin Hough
    TREBMASTER
    (____>
    .OOO

It's template glass, it wouldn't shard to a pieces

It's template glass

Lexan's a better idea. The shower door is most likely tempered and won't cut without breaking into a few thousand tiny pieces.
    Stuck in the seventies- not in the swamp.

(6) Attex, a Hustler, a Super Swamp Fox, (2) Tricarts, (3) Tri-sports, a Sno-co trike, 3 Dunecycles, and a Starcraft! ...so far

Cool polycarbonate...

By far the best choice I have found so far, is 1/4" plate polycarbonate capped with a 1/8" UV Shielded plate of polycarbonate, making the "glass" total thickness of 3/8". These two plates are bonded together completely by the company who makes it. You'll have to ask around your area plastic companies if they have or can do the same. Lexan is polycarbonate.
    My first windshield was out of 1/4" thick plexiglass. Hated it as it flexed way too much, and took scratches from anything, including dust. My second was 1/4" thick Lexan, but when driving around it flexed too much in the middle. 3/8" thick doesn't flex all that much, that I have seen. The UV protected plate will make your windshield last a heck of alot longer too. This third windshield cost me $272.00 and was cut to size by the company. I did keep my second windshield however, as a spare, and I keep it stored covered with regular masking tape to keep it scratch free.

It is however not bulletproof. You could add on that new industry bulletproof film on both sides of your windshield, no matter what it is made of. Then, it'd be bullet resistant, but not bulletproof. You'd need some really thick glass to get it bulletproof, but then that would be adding on way too much more weight to your machine.

Polycarbonate is scratch resistant, and if it ever breaks for some unknown reason, it won't shatter. Scratches can be fixed by using buffing wax, and they'll just disappear.

Hope this info helps.

Keep on Ridin!!!!!

Shower Door

ILL SAY DONS RIGHT BEING A PLUMBER I HAVE INSTALLED A FEW SHOWER DOORS AND TRUST ME YOU DON'T WANT TO BREAK ONE OF THEM YOU WILL BE CLEANING UP LITTLE GLASS SQUARES FOR EVER.

+ Reply to Thread