Mudd Ox questions/Mudd Ox answers

1. Welcome to 6x6 World.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. Looking forward to seeing you in the forums and talking about AATVs!
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast

Thread: Mudd Ox questions/Mudd Ox answers

I'm sure there is some correlation between the low gear set and high heat if you are trying to run at higher speeds. I think if you can confirm the lower gearing on your machine and replace it with the higer gear it will take care of your heat problem as well as your speed problem

Smile Does Avenger motor warm up in hot weather of 100 degrees

Quote Originally Posted by AussieMax View Post
    Hi Tracmaster,
    We run our Ox in temps around 100 with very high humidity during the wet season over here. ......
    I can't see how you say your argo runs cool. I understand there are no problems with vapour locking on an argo, but how does the hot air from the exhaust, radiator and heat from the brakes not blow back on you as you are riding? I have ridden an avenger in the heat up here, and the firewall in front of your legs gets pretty darn hot, not to mention the exhaust fumes blowing back on the passenger.
    Hi AussieMax, I cannot get my 2007 Avenger EFI to heat up above 175 deg. F.. Our hottest days are well over 90 deg. f. but never over 100 deg, I am used to car engines with pressurised cooling systems running above 212 deg F. and wonder if a little higher heat would make my Argo engine run more efficiently. The Kohler manual says that the thermostat begins to open at just over 170 * F. If I get it hot enough for that to happen even on the hottest day, the temp. drops immediatly when the thermostat opens. My wife has never complained about exhaust fumes. Do you know of an optional higher temp. thermostat for the Kohler EFI?

Okay, let me try to recompose what I typed earlier

i asked moallen when he was selling his and he said it was the best aatv he ever had, humm...... makes me wonder too. I had asked him if there were any issues, i didn't any real answer..... but he did sell his for 1/2 price? 17,000 .00 i think he was asking..
    Curious as i said...
    well, let's see now. It was Allen's FIRST and ONLY aatv he has ever had, so by default, I guess that qualifes as best. (also worst). By the way, 17 grand is hardly a fire sale and nowhere near half price. And....please don't confuse dissatisfaction with particular items as dissatisfaction with the vehicle in general. It is quite capable. I'm just trying to work out a few issues. Oh yeah.........there IS a warranty.

Aussie. Thanks for all the info. I will pm you and/or Travis with the gear teeth count to try to get to the bottom of the low vs. high gear question. Matt was going to let me know but is somewhat delinquent in providing that information. I also want to get more specifics on your muffler/exhaust mods. By far my biggest complaint is the slower than ADVERTISED speed at cruise and the hot air that accompanies the cruise. 90% of the time this isn't an issue, but it is on the occasions that I want to take off down the road and be able to cruise out at the speed I was told to expect AND not worry about the temps, (both on myself and on the engine and hydraulics). I do have the windshield and half cab still on, and that locks in some heat, but it doesn't affect the air on the back of the legs. I believe I will try putting a thermometer to it to check it out, just out of curiosity. Maybe I'll also try the Deere hydro fluid. I don't know that the 220ish temp is damage causing or not but you can't help but stare at it and wonder. To compound the problem, the hydraulic light was also coming on but Matt told me that was a glitch in the fluid chamber with the indicator and not a real problem. The extra temp in the cab is great in the winter time but practically unbearable in the summer temps.

Travis, I will try the winch connections as you suggested. I probably won't be able to know for sure if there is a drain there until I have another two week hiatus, though. I'm sure the fans drain the battery a lot and the alternator may or may not be able to keep up, but the battery doesn't go too low to start until it has sat for more than a couple of weeks.

Thanks guys
    Last edited by hancock; 06-13-2009 at 12:45 PM.

I would be furious if i paid 17+ grand and when i got it home it needs immediate upgrades... Matt should exchange those needed upgrades for free.. after all it is a new machine..Boy it sure takes alot of extra parts to have counter rotating wheels... dependability may be an issue straight from the factory with the Mudd-Ox...

Tracmaster

I would be furious if i paid 17+ grand and when i got it home it needs immediate upgrades

you mean like an argo avenger tearing up axle bearings and chains from poor designed chain adjusters, or a poor designed hand brake that wouldn't stop the vehicle? Even after years in production, my response wasn't built right.. I had to fix many things the factory flubbed up.

Humpty Doo, Northern Territory, Australia

Argo thermostat

Hi PhillipatmaxIV,
    The thermostat in your Kohler appears to have been superseded for a 190F one. The new part number is 66 453 02 S. Old part number is 66 453 01 S. This should make it run a little warmer.
    The temperature we are disscussing on the Mudd-Ox is the hydraulic temp. I'm told anything under 250 is acceptable for hydraulic temp on a Mudd-Ox. I've never gone over about 210 on real long hard runs on the hottest days over here. The oil cooler seems to do it's job well enough.
    Hope that helps
    Wayne

Humpty Doo, Northern Territory, Australia
    I know a lot of guys are reading this thread with interest, and possibly wondering why we have had to modify exhausts etc, well we are a long way away from the US, and we were possibly the first ones to have one of these machines operating in the heat. We got it in September 08 which is the start of our summer, when you guys were getting pretty cold. I don't know that Matt could possibly test for every known weather condition or kind of use/abuse that these things would be subjected to around the world. He has done his best to acknowledge any shortcomings with these early machines, and ensure that these small glitches are not occurring on the new units. We worked with him to change the exhaust and test it in hot conditions that probably aren't real common over there where he is. In the end the exhaust we have is nearly identical to the one that will be fitted from now on. I think it's great that Matt has listened to feedback about his machine and responded immediately with some rather good changes. I think any manufacturer could have some minor teething problems in the early years, and I think what we've had has been fairly insignificant for a new product. Mudd-Ox inc is doing rather well even in this financial climate to still be developing and perfecting its machines. In terms of 8x8 amphibs available today I think if you have the extra dollars and want something that's built to last with lots of features and easy to use, the Ox is a great package. I think Roger is right in that people have been putting up with far worse dramas with argos over the years, and ODG have been building machines for a lot longer than Matt.

I would be furious if i paid 17+ grand and when i got it home it needs immediate upgrades... Matt should exchange those needed upgrades for free.. after all it is a new machine..Boy it sure takes alot of extra parts to have counter rotating wheels... dependability may be an issue straight from the factory with the Mudd-Ox...
    I think any amhib out there could fall into the category of needing upgrades. I've test driven the Argo and it really isn't even in the same class as the Mudd-Ox, (sorry, Argoers). It isn't that the Ox isn't dependable, as you say. Quite the opposite, actually. I'm just in the process of trying to perfect mine. Access to the manufacturer and the initial cadre of dealers, as you have with the Mudd Ox, for information and input is something you can't duplicate with the other amphib companies. Try posting concerns with your vehicle as I have and see what type of response you get. I appreciate your concern, but I think it is a little on the extreme side.

Hancock
    Last edited by hancock; 06-14-2009 at 12:41 PM.

Smile Hotter Avenger thermostat for Kohler efi

Thanks AussieMax for the reply and for the Part number. That is exactly what I have been looking for. I will get one installed and report back. Thanks again.

Smile New machines that come not perfect

Hi Roger, I agree that we should not single out MuddOx for minor faults. and yes ODG have shipped a few oops too, but Our friends on four wheelers have Glitches from Japan too, and sometimes the four wheeler dealer can't or won't make it right without billing the rider.

+ Reply to Thread