Mudd Ox questions/Mudd Ox answers

1. Welcome to 6x6 World.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. Looking forward to seeing you in the forums and talking about AATVs!
+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast

Thread: Mudd Ox questions/Mudd Ox answers

Hancock,

Let us know what Travis comes up with in regards to your sprocket gearing - I bet you have the lower gear set. I haven't checked mine with a GPS but I bet it's some where around 20-22 mph. I'll try to confirm it the next ride.

Here's my take on the engine bay heat and what I'm going to do to try to reduce it. The engine driven cooling fan is ducted TO the engine but does not duct it out of the compartment, I'm going to build some ducting to continue that air flow around the exhaust and out of the engine bay. The auxiliary cooling fan does a poor job of collecting the heat and removing it from the compartment. I'll also install the bigger fan when Matt has them available but will duct it so it's more efficient. In the mean time I've wrapped the exhaust, helps a little bit but I'm still planning the other mods…

I have to echo others comments about buying an early production machine and the bugs that come with it, even with these minor things I'm still very happy with my purchase and have no regrets.

Regards,
    Brian

Hi Everyone,
    I have read this thread and want to answer the items brought up. Hancock I sent you a PM about your speed concerns. I have a few items I want you to check. I also want to let everyone know that if you ever have any questions about the Mudd-Ox please feel free to call me at the factory at 260-768-7221
    I am very thankfull for my customers and their feed back. I plan on always making the Mudd-Ox better. I think there is always room for improvment with any product or brand. Each year the cars and trucks we drive have improvments that make them better and better. (sometimes harder to work on) The days of the shade tree Mechanic are gone.

Here is a list of the improvments on the new Mudd-Ox 8x8's rolling out of the factory.

All of the chains in a Mudd-Ox are now Double 60.
    The front two axles on each side are drove off of one double 60 chain with a 11 tooth idle sprocket that has a threaded adjuster. This adjuster has alot of movment allowing the customer to easily change the reduction ratio for more speed or less speed and more torq for running large 20" rubber tracks. This is done by changing the sprocket on the left and right hydraulic motors. I can now offer much lower speeds and greater torq than before. I am like Hancock, I like the faster sporty speeds. I have found almost all of my customers want the machine to go 12 MPH and have large amounts of torq to pull large loads and be a work horse. In the past I only offered 2 ratios and you had to pull the second axle back on each side to change the reduction ratio. The new system is much easier. The back 4 chains on each side have a manual chain adjuster.

Chargeing system and heat issues. The Viper winch I am using has 12 volts going to each of the winch motor leads. When you run the winch the contactor switches the needed lead to ground. I have just learned that this can cause a small amount of draw on the battery and when the machines sit for awhile they may run the battery low. Viper is making changes to the contactor so this will not happen. Any of the winches that are out there with the old system that is causing the the drain they will correct. I have had request to run extra lights, power inverters and other electrical accessories from the Mudd-Ox. The Kohler 25 amp charging system will only handle what is on the Mudd-Ox now with not much extra. All new machines now come with a 105 amp charging system that allows for much more electrical Accessories. I have also increased the cooling fan size and CFM flow to keep the engine bay cooler. This helps the customers that are in warmer areas and want to ride full speed for long periods of time. High speed running in a straight line is much harder on the machine than working it in the mudd or climbing hills. 220 deg. hydrolic temp is ok.
    I am currently working with a company to make a exhaust blanket that will also help keep the engine bay cooler.

Again, if anyone has any questions or wants to talk to me you may contact me at the factory. 260-768-7221

Matt

I've had the doors off of the half cab for quite awhile, but I took the top totally off yesterday just to see what difference it would make. The windshield is still on. The heat within the cabin is less, actually which is nice. My guess is removing the windscreen will improve that even more, but I'm going to leave it on for now. After talking to another owner last night, I think the amount of heat from the seat area may vary from vehicle to vehicle. On mine, there is a little bit of a gap where the cushion sits on the body and I think I may be able to remedy some of that airflow with some insulation in that spot. I think the radiant heat will still be a little excessive so I plan on the exhaust mods that Aussie has made, or something real similar. I'm also going to check into the alternator and fan mods and see what that entails. I'm still in the process of retrieving the sprocket and tooth count information to determine the gearing. I put the gps on board again yesterday just to recheck the speed. It basically topped out at 17 mph with a flutter towards 18mph here and there. As I went down a very slight decline it hit 19mph and up a very slight incline it dropped down to 15ish and I even saw 13 for a fleeting second. This was with the windscreen on and the top off and only me on board. (200 pounds, but it's mostly muscle.)

Hi Matt. It sounds like you have made a lot of nice improvements to the newer models. Don't change too much or you will make mine obsolete . I'm going to have to figure out how to get that Viper winch situation resolved if they have said they will fix it. I did get your pm. I will give you a call back real soon.

Hancock

Had the fifth wheel hooked up to the Ox today, and noticed we could hardly get it over 12mph. Dunno.....maybe it was because we had he F350 in the garage and the extra weight was bogging it down.
    Attached Images

Those who think an avenger or mudd ox is too heavy, well ok. HD construction does allow for some uncommon uses.

Those who think an avenger or mudd ox is too heavy, well ok. HD construction does allow for some uncommon uses.
    maybe the smoke and mirrors used to take that picture were disguised a little too well.
    Last edited by hancock; 06-14-2009 at 07:10 PM.

Farmers and ranchers have been using 5th wheels in avengers for years.. There used to be a pic on argo's site showing a 6 wheeler with 3 executives and torqued up, wrinlked runamuks towing a semi tractor and trailer.

Smile Only 12 MPH with f350 in trailer

Quote Originally Posted by hancock View Post
    Had the fifth wheel hooked up to the Ox today, and noticed we could hardly get it over 12mph. Dunno.....maybe it was because we had he F350 in the garage and the extra weight was bogging it down.
    Hey Hancock, Was the pickup loaded or empty?

Bilge Pump

Any of you guys have bilge pump info? We have been getting hammered this morning in Missouri with rain, the barn was leaking a bit, and there was a little water collected in the tub of the Ox. I went to turn the bilge pump on and it won't come on. I remember awhile back after I finished riding it, the switch was on. I hadn't turned it on, and must have bumped it inadvertently with my knee getting in or out, or something along those lines. I don't know how long it had been on and I really don't know for sure if that has anything to do with why it won't come on now.

But......that brings up a couple of good questions. If there is a fuse for the bilge pump somewhere, I can't find it. For that matter, I cant find the bilge pump or the suction lines and am now curious where they are located. I see the outlet centered in the very rear, but other than that, can't locate any other components of the pump, to include a possible fuse, which would be a good starting point to check. The outlet is centered behind the fuel tank, so it isn't really possible to start there and trace it back.

dont these things come with an owners manual? Seems like that is where you would find this type of essential info.

+ Reply to Thread