Mudd Ox questions/Mudd Ox answers

1. Welcome to 6x6 World.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. Looking forward to seeing you in the forums and talking about AATVs!
+ Reply to Thread
Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 5 6 7

Thread: Mudd Ox questions/Mudd Ox answers

Why do you ask, Steve? Are you ready to buy something made this century?

Quote Originally Posted by liflod View Post
    Why do you ask, Steve? Are you ready to buy something made this century?

Thats funny LOL

When I was a teen, we used to run our cars w/o thermostats in the summer to avoid overheating. Is this an option on an 8x8 or 6x6, regardless of make or model?!? My Conquest gets hot in the floor area here in Michigan during the summer. Thanx

Smile mudd ox

Quote Originally Posted by chapy View Post
    Thats funny LOL
    well ,Lets put it this way, if i was it would be sure good to know (as others) That it has an upgrade program to it as well,why spend a fortune on such a machine that has problems from the factory, and keep paying more and more as the problems are fixed, or "upgraded"?
    Seems this makes sense......

Lance, go buy something old and enjoy it....
    Last edited by Amphiman1; 06-26-2009 at 07:48 PM.

well ,Lets put it this way, if i was it would be sure good to know (as others) That it has an upgrade program to it as well,why spend a fortune on such a machine that has problems from the factory, and keep paying more and more as the problems are fixed, or "upgraded"?
    Seems this makes sense......
    That is an interesting, yet complicated point you bring up. I think there is a distinct difference in a warrantied repair and an upgrade. As newer model cars come out with improvements over the previous year, you don't necessarily feel entitled to receive the improvements if your vehicle was from the previous year.

A warranty should, however, fix any obvious defects in a vehicle. I guess the question is what qualifies as a "defect" and what qualifies as "in need of upgrade". Working through the bugs such as what is going on with the Ox is unique to a vehicle as new as the Ox. Especially if you buy it the very first year. There are a lot of gray areas involved in deciding what should and should not be warrantied.

One thing that does come to mind, is while in the preliminary stages of buying mine, I specifically asked Matt if there would be expected mechanical issues because of it's newness. He told me that he had technically been ready to go into production and sell them a year and a half earlier, but did not because he wanted to make sure all the bugs had been worked out first. Obviously, there were still some to be worked out based on the modifications that have gone into the newer models.

Personally, I don't consider anything I have dealt with or talked about on this forum so far to be that serious. The slower speed bugs me a little, but I am still in the process of working that out, (with Matt's help), and we will see where this ends up. If I see absolutely no improvement from where I am now, then to me that will be a defect. Based on preliminary discussions with Matt, it sounds fixable, though, and as soon as I get the time to work on it I will let you guys know the outcome. The heat is bothersome, but seems to be fixable and I don't think really qualifies as a defect. The alternator borders on the inadequate side, but is not defective. He has put a bigger better unit in the newer models and that same type of situation happens with newer model cars. That's the breaks. The battery drain needs to be fixed. Either by Viper of Mudd Ox. Not by me. It won't hold a charge for more than two weeks and that IS a defect. It sounds like Viper has some sort of fix for it. I haven't pursued this yet.

The newness of the Ox basically spawned this thread as I searched for help towards a few issues. I think a few folks on the forum took this wrong. You just won't see the same types of questions with Argo or Max because they have already gone through the initial growing pains that the Mudd Ox is still going through now. A good portion of the "owners" who post on this forum are dealers. They obviously aren't going to say anything critical. I'm not bound by that same "restriction" and maybe it just stands out a little more when I bring up a negative issue or two.

Actually, I could write a paragraph or two right now on how screwed up the Argo steering is compared to the smoothness of the Ox..........
    Last edited by hancock; 06-26-2009 at 11:02 PM.

I think one thing to keep in mind throughout this discussion is the fact the designer, owner, builder of the Mudd-Ox routinely posts his direct phone number here on the forum for any owner or potential customer can call him for help, support or advice. He is trying to make upgrades and improvements available for early machines at reasonable cost. In fact as the changes have been made the price of the machines has also risen so even adding the improvements the early adopters will probably still come out ahead cost wise over the latest generation. Even the first production machines are fully functional as delivered and highly regarded here in Alaska already. I have a very early machine and confidently take it hunting,exploring, playing etc here and depend on it to get me home and I am an "owner"(as described in the previous post) but still spent my hard earned $'s to purchase it.

I had the privilege of taking a tour in the Mudd-Ox factory earlier today. Matt is a great guy with a lot of knowledge about the older machines as well. He gave me the opportunity to test drive the Mudd-Ox on his proving grounds, and it is a very rugged and awesome machine. The steering is very sensitive to the touch and there is no slop. As of now I am looking for a project Attex for my next amphibious atv, but someday down the road when I have the room and the money, you can bet I will have a Mudd-Ox with several of the options.
    A real down-to-earth guy and very generous too. Congratulations Matt, and I hope to see more great things come out of Mudd-Ox!!

+ Reply to Thread