Another Mudd Ox report from Alaska

1. Welcome to 6x6 World.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. Looking forward to seeing you in the forums and talking about AATVs!
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Another Mudd Ox report from Alaska

AKexpress that's not Mikes problem, his starts to run bad ( if you feather the throttle you can keep it running ) He shuts it down for 10 to 15 min and its good to go again for a while. Engine temps are right around 200-210. when it happens. when running in 50-55 ambient the engine temps run about 160-165
    and no problems. I thought it was strange a 10 degree increase in out side temp raises engine temp 50 degrees

Are you talking about hydraulic temp or engine? If it is engine temp, what kind of temp guage does it have?, since they don't come stock with a temp guage.

Yooper is talking about the hydraulic temps not engine temps. I have talked to Mike about this and the problem we have here in Alaska is the ability to run very long distances at wide open throttle and full hydraulics. In most other places you could not find a area to do this for 10-12 miles. The way the system is designed at full sticks forward about 2 1/2 gallons a minute is exchanged with new cooled hydrualic fluid, at less then full sticks forward much more is exchanged and no problems with over heating of the hydraulic fluid. When manuvering thru things the sticks are constantly moving and much more cooling takes place of the fluid and again no problem even if the machine is working much harder in mud ,climbing etc. I have also found on my machine and my sons that now have about 70 hours each on that the problem is much improved as the machines have broken in. The seals on the motors after breakin begin to leak a little more. this is not a leak in the normal sense in that there is hydraulic fluid leaking out but the fluid inside the moter leaks past the seals and is returned to hydraulic cooler in addition to the 2 1/2 gallons that the shuttle valves automatically return for cooling. If you run at less then full sticks forward the probem is no longer there, but sometimes it is hard to resist going flat out when you can. Mikes machine is also geared high so it does put more load on the hydraulics. I also find as Mike did that having the sticks slightly back from full forward seems to make the machine faster when under load, Matt explained this to me a while back but I have forgotten the technical explanation but there is one. I am sure that an expert on clutch tuning to also get a bit more out of the machines but they are set up to run quite well with the white springs in the primary clutch from the factory. Some people have also stated improvments in hydrualic temps by changing to different hydraulic fluid like Amsoil or John Deere. We are going to put our machines in a 4th of July mud bog event in Seward Alaska the weekend and see how they do against the buggys and jeeps etc one on tracks and one on wheels it should be fun. Also the larger fans and exhaust blanket will help with hydrualic temps and the fuel vaporization. My son and I were talking last night and said with out reservation we are very confident that we can take our machines as far back in the boonies as we want and they will get us back and we have been abusing ( ie riding them hard) them as much as possible to help Matt improve the machines .

+ Reply to Thread