Another Mudd Ox report from Alaska

1. Welcome to 6x6 World.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. Looking forward to seeing you in the forums and talking about AATVs!

Thread: Another Mudd Ox report from Alaska

Threaded View

Another Mudd Ox report from Alaska

I have had my Mudd Ox for about a month now and must say I am very pleased with it. It is built like a brick outhouse beefy and stout. This is my first AATV but not my first experience with them. Have a couple of buddies who run Argos so I am not a complete novice, just a wet behind the ears rookie. So far the Mudd Ox has performed extremely well handling the swamps, tundra and creeks I must cross to get the cabin I am building. I have used Argos equipped with tracks to get there in the past and did not have any more problems with getting stuck with the Mudd ox with out tracks. Found it to swim extemely well when crossing flowing waters. The hydro-static steering sure makes it easier when changing direction in the swamps and on the hills. It seems like I can keep my momentum going better vs the Argo. Yes I have been stuck, poor choice of lines on my part, stuck the Argos with tracks too. It takes very little winching to unstick which is great as at times the only thing to winch from is a three foot black spruce tree in the middle of the swamp. It really has surpassed my expectations in its abilities. Now to be perfectly honest I have had one issue with it that is more annoyance but have had issues with it getting hot and vapor locking the motor. Cools off quickly and is good to go. This has happened on warmer days (for us Alaskans anyways) temps in the high 60s. The first time was on the intial drive out on the Knik river running flat out engine running at max and little stick movement. The second time was running in to the cabin again running the engine at max running flat out in the swamps with little stick movement. I have found that if you do not max the throttle and cycle the sticks it really helps but is not a sure fire fix. I have been working with Mark the local dealer who has been in contact with Matt on this issue. I knew when I purchased this machine that there probably would be hick ups and glitches just because this is such a newly designed machine. By no means is this issue a show stopper and I would make the purchase again. The question of speed has come up on different posts on the Mudd Ox I was able to reach just a tad over 20mph based on GPS readings with over 550 lbs of driver and passengers running on semi packed glacier silt.
    Attached are some pictures of the mudd ox and the terrain that it has been used in. Thanks to Matt and his crew for building this work horse and to Mark, Travis and Ben at Alaska Mudd Ox for answering numerous questions and being a great bunch of guys to deal with.
    Tinman

I will add the photos after I figure out how to shrink them. Still have not figured out how to shrink pictures so posted some in the gallery under using the mudd ox in alaska. Not the most computer savy person that you will meet.
    Last edited by tinman; 06-14-2009 at 01:07 PM. Reason: added picures to gallery
    Smile, it's only gonna get worse.