Bushwacker home made amphib

1. Welcome to 6x6 World.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. Looking forward to seeing you in the forums and talking about AATVs!
+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Bushwacker home made amphib

Thumbs down Bushwacker home made amphib

Has any one been reading the postings about the Bushwacker amphib on Route 6x6 ? There are lots of postings about the Bushwacker if you do a search on Route 6x6 .Ray Kolis is the man who designed it and also built this very unique ,custom amphib, from scatch. It has a suspended seat that you stradle, similar to a Hoot ATV ( 5 inches of seat foam, plus 5 inches of suspension travel ) and also seats two people, side by side in the rear, on a bench seat. I think he did a fine job making it. Its a nice looking design too. I do think he should have used some of the new camo style ,stick on vinyl, to make it look better. But,,to each his or her own I guess.

He is now selling plans to build this unigue amphib for $200, and willl offer free phone support he imformed me. These will be very detail orientated plans.

It cost him about $ 450 to build the aluminum tub. ( .100 sides,and .125 bottom ) It also uses thick abs plastic for a skid plate. You then out source all the other things needed to finsh your own custom amphib. This really looks like an amphib that the average guy could build in his spare time. Just recently, I went to the local sheet metal shop and priced the aluminum sheets I would need, and also the shop labor it would cost to bend it to my specs. $65 per hr

My friend is now in the process of building an amphibious 4x4 ATV, that can be ridden on state owned trails.

It will be around 600 pds ( state to state mandate )
    state mandated 50 inches wide
    suspended seat, but one that you stradle ( also another state mandate )
    only 4 tires max ( also a mandate on state owned trails. )

My friend recently told me that he went out with an Argo Fronteer, Max II, and also a Hoot . He told me that they all got stuck at different times ,and also had to pull each other out at times as well. But,, in one place that my friend drove his Bushwacker ,the Argo Fronteer could not follow him, and it got stuck. My friend told me, this had to do with the low weight, and low psi on the ground of his custom, home made, Bushwacker.

click on the small pictures to enlarge them. From making an amphib from scatch,,Ray Kolis did a fine job.

Route 6x6
    Last edited by mudbug3; 09-30-2007 at 11:03 AM.

+ Reply to Thread