More Heat!!

1. Welcome to 6x6 World.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. Looking forward to seeing you in the forums and talking about AATVs!
+ Reply to Thread

Thread: More Heat!!

Question More Heat!!

I replaced the 16 tecunseh in my argo 8x8 1981 vintage with a 20 hp Kohler magnum. The extra heat generated by this motor has me a bit concerned. I have a two speed blower fan that will not keep up to the extra heat this not under load just cruising down fairly flat trails and some mud puddles. What can I add to help with the temprature thing? Blower motor from a truck? More vents? Remove the hood during work periods? When I start working it to fetch my moose in some cut block a melt down or cease would be a disaster! Any ideas would be greatly appreciate.

When argo installed the magnums in their machines they included a duct from the engine,around the muffler and exhausted it under the windshield. They also had a cold air intake that connected to the hood, even with this arrangement the magnums ran hot in warmer weather. The intake ducts are available from argo and easy to install. You will have to fab your own hot air exhaust duct. If you use a fan to extract the air, have sufficient size openings fo allow good air flow into the engine compartment.
    The following link is for he Argo Response parts manual. Page 3 shows the duct work. http://odg.orc.ca:3000/pdfDocs/vehicle_Parts&Op/Argo/Argo%20Parts%20Manuals/Argo%20Parts%20Manual-Current/Response%20Parts%20Manual%20899-65-7%202007-04-12.pdf

Yes, you need ducts, fresh in and exhaust and heat out..

Would a squirrel cage style fan/blower/heater motor out of a pick/up truck work to get rid of the excess heat? I could use the switch as well; multi speed cooling fan? I was thinking of mounting it right on the motor cover sucking the heat right off the top of the compartment. With the original cooling fan blowing in fresh from the side. Does this sound reasonable?

You need to have a sealed duct so the engine only draws outside air. Then shrouding to gather all the exhaust heat and heated engine air out of the vehicle. This'll be better than fans.. maybe a fan on a timer for when it's shut off.

I have a sealed duct fan that draws from the outside that came with the machine it's a two speed fan seems to blow at the rear of the motor and front of transmission it's mounted on the right side as your seated in it, just ahead of the windshield. It takes cool outside air from the slits cut in the body just above the two half seam. So if I mount an exhaust heat fan it should be on the exhaust side (left) as you are seated in it? I think I have the idea just want to confirm the most efficient way to do this.

The fan is for cooling the disc brakes on the transmission. Normally there is a molded distribution piece for cooling each rotor connected to the fan hose.
    The brake fan is too small to cool the engine compartment. The cool air inlet for the Magnum should still be available from Argo. You could still use the exhaust fan if you want. Just watch out for taxing the charging system beyond it's ability.

+ Reply to Thread