valve stem replacement help????????????

1. Welcome to 6x6 World.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. Looking forward to seeing you in the forums and talking about AATVs!
+ Reply to Thread

Thread: valve stem replacement help????????????

valve stem replacement help????????????

i have just bought a couple orriginal firestone tires thet have bad valve stems. anyone have any tips on getting new valves in these molded wheel/tires? anyone who has tackled this, your advice is much appreciated

Go to a local truck, or tractor supply store & get the HD stems. They are stainless steel, and have a replaceable gasket. They also are tough because they don't just pop in, they actually have a nut you tighten on the outside of the rim!
    Jeff
    02 Argo Bigfoot

I never get lost : I take expeditions!
    I'm guided by the Magic 8 Ball.

If the tires are the one-piece molded flotations, you'll need to find valve stems short enough to fit inside and still have room enough to allow you to fill the tire. Cut the old valve stem out- you'll usually end up with a piece rattling around on the inside of the tire. I use some emery paper to clean up the hole for the new stem, then wet down the rim and the new stem with a soapy water solution. Use an old flat-sided screwdriver (if you have a well-used screwdriver that's worn so there's no sharp edges, it works best) and work the bottom of the new stem into the rim.

Good luck with it.
    Stuck in the seventies- not in the swamp.

(6) Attex, a Hustler, a Super Swamp Fox, (2) Tricarts, (3) Tri-sports, a Sno-co trike, 3 Dunecycles, and a Starcraft! ...so far

thanks guys. don... that was pretty much my thinking, and after an hour's work i have 1 done. my 18 month old son was in the shop with me this evening and may have picked up a few words that i'd rather him not learn till high school!! i got worked over a little on the purchace of these tires and still need a one more right side. if anyone has a 65" firestone or 2 right sides, i'd like to buy them. will is swim in circles if i run lefts on the right?

+ Reply to Thread