6X6 versus 8X8

1. Welcome to 6x6 World.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. Looking forward to seeing you in the forums and talking about AATVs!
+ Reply to Thread

Thread: 6X6 versus 8X8

6X6 versus 8X8

Hello All,

Im new to the forum. I have been looking at a new argo for quite sometime now. After my last moose trip into the mountains and looking at a 60 inch bull moose I could not get out with the quads, well, lets just say the quad days are shortlived now. I don't care about speed, only getting me there and back ...with a moose on the back trip...

I have used an 8x8 before an loved it. Only concern was lack of clearance, but the new tires solved that. But the other reason the 8x8 was so good is that it was long enough to float over the really rough "hummock" in the far north here (Northern Canada). How do the 6x6 compare in the really rough mogelly stuff? I know that I will give up a bit in the cargo area of course but I have a line on a good bigfoot 6x6 and don't want to disclude it.

Any help would be greatly appreciated...

Derek

The Argo Avenger 8x8 is the perfect vehicle for what you describe. Argo even shows a moose loaded in the back in one of their hunting DVDs. I really don't see a 6x6 doing that job without a trailer. The Avenger has taken care of all the Conquest's previous ground clearnance/performance issues with the improved lower body and 25" tires. It's a beast in the mud while the old Conquest 8x8 was... well, NOT.
    Everybody dies, but not everybody lives.

You'll never regret having the longer wheelbase and extra room over a 6x6. Better ride, safer on steep hill climbs, and can haul out your moose. I have never wished I had my 6x6 once we got the Avenger. High centering on a stump, rock or log is in most cases the main thing to slow you down, but those are easy to get out of with your winch or come-a-long.

X2 on the 8x8 being best for you.
    I have seen a guy here that works for the power company, and has added a home made overload bouey to the rear hitch, and the front of the body! His in water payload went from 500lbs to 900.
    Jeff
    02 Argo Bigfoot

I never get lost : I take expeditions!
    I'm guided by the Magic 8 Ball.

Awesome, thanks for the info. I have been pouring over the posts here and whatever info I can get on the net. Looks like the avenger is the unit. I have been looking at a few conquests though. How well do they work in the rough stuff? Does the new 24inch tires make a big difference? Or, what if you put say 22 to 24 inch rawhides on a conquest. Would that work?

I don't know a single guy that went from a 6x6 to an 8x8 and regretted it (not "slammin" 6x6's by any means, I have one too) For what I do and haul, and where I live, The extra length and capacity of my 8x8 works best. I just reciently got a set of 24" Frontier tires for my Conquest (there is a thread all about it in the Forum) After only one test ride (Yesterday) I know of two more sets that have been ordered by friends of mine already.
    I have loaded 2 whole Moose into the back of an 8x8 and they were not even quartered up (Heads and legs still on)
    I regularily haul my whole family(5), plus others into my Cabin, through some pretty nasty country, usually hauling a trailer becouse we have enough gear and food for up to 3 weeks with us.
    I live in Northern BC, very close to the BC, NWT, Yukon Border, MUSKEG COUNTRY, (not to mention mosquitoes)
    Check out some of my vids, I can link some of the better ones here if you like.
    Some members here have given them pretty good reviews.
    This one is not bad, but I'm not loaded very heavy.

Thanks a million. I am going to buy a 8x8 here PDQ. I hunt mainly in the NWT mountains (Canol Trail area) , probably similar to your northern BC terrain (Cassiar?). I think judging from my past experience that ground clearance is my biggest concern. I have been looking at the avenger but if a good used conquest with a set of 24inch tires works well I may have to look at that.

In your opinion, how would those two units compare in "hummuk-y" Northern meadow, you know the moose/willow areas that have what seems like huge mounds of grassy dirt sorrounded by partly wet/partly mud holes. Great stuff to try your quad winch out on!!!

+ Reply to Thread