Hustler restore update

1. Welcome to 6x6 World.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. Looking forward to seeing you in the forums and talking about AATVs!
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Hustler restore update

Hustler restore update

Almost there..it has taken longer than I wanted due to work, etc.

But I have the chains on now, and I made some new chain adjusters as mine were missing. Big thanks on the uni-channel rail nut tip. All controls are attached and ready to go, T-20 is adjusted. So this weekend will be wiring and bolting the top on, should be ready to fire her up...BTW, It was really sweet to get the chains on and get the sprockets perfectly aligned, then tighten the set-screw.

The only thing that is unclear right now is the Honda wiring diagram! My motor came without the key switch box, and their diagram is about as clear as mud....

I will post up some pics soon of the progress and hopefully the test ride..........

I cant wait to see some pics! I plan on doing some forestry work at my grandparent's cabin this weekend with my Hustler BIG FOOT as the log skidder. I will be sure to let you know how it does too. What tires did you end up running on your machine?
    "Looks like you have a problem with your 4 wheeler........you're missin' two wheels there"

I took your advice on the tires and I am just going to run the Kenda's and see how they do. Slept in late today, I am about to get out in the garage and get started....it's just still so darn hot here........I sweated completely through my t-shirt and got eaten up by skeeters at 10pm last night.

Well...finally took the maiden voyage, it has been about three years since I drove to Detroit, Alabama and bought my 250.00 Hustler. It was exciting to say the least. I have only driven one other 6x6, which was a Hustler with a loose belt and 16hp Kohler. In comparison, the Honda 20HP was a huge improvement, it was very quiet, plenty of power, started right up...really happy so far, except for the ridiculously not helpful Japanese wiring diagram.

The only hiccups were that the Honda is a little tall, JPswift already told me the fix for that....

And every chain adjuster on the machine loosened up...I guess you have to tighten those really tight?

I\

Congratulations on the completion of your project. It feels so good when you actually get to drive it Now it's time to take it out and break it

Catch some air first, then break it. How about a couple pics.

Thanks guys, I'll be doing some finish up work tomorrow and I will take some pics..........

This weekend is kinda like the first day of school or something as it will be going to the duck lease and doing it's first water test.

Quote Originally Posted by Mike View Post
    Congratulations on the completion of your project. It feels so good when you actually get to drive it Now it's time to take it out and break it
    You officially jinxed me. I had spent a couple of hours close to help testing the machine and was getting confident that it was mechanically okay, so we took it to the duck lease...the first three hours rocked! My buddy on his Polaris was really shocked at the top speed and that I was able to keep up with him. We were about to try out my swimming ability when it seemed that I lost trans output on the left side. It was getting dark and I did not have a trailer hitch or any tow points on the Hustler yet (BIG MISTAKE)...so I had to leave my new baby in the woods. 2.1 miles from the gate entrance, down a 40 foot levee at about a 40-50 degree incline.

The recovery effort was absolutely the biggest cluster I have ever been responsible for. I took another T-20 from the Hustler I am selling, only to figure out when we get there that I had actually sheared off an axle key, due to the keyway not being long enough. So we decide to tow it out by putting it on my trailer which is very light, and pulling it with my buddies two Quads. The only hitch in this plan was that we had about 4 inches of rain the day before, and my trailer has fenders that cover the tires. To make a long miserable story short...the trailer tires gummed up between the fender and tire with clay and vegetation and would not roll, so we had to push with one quad and pull with the other through muck for two miles, stopping to let the belts on the Polaris quit smoking frequently. To get up the levee was interesting too...

It was 12:30 AM before we got out of the woods, dehydrated, exhausted, skeeter bitten, and dirtier than I can remember. Then we had trouble getting the hitch on my jeep due to the caked clay, and then my trailer tires almost caught on fire due to the wedged vegetation and dirt. So we had to limp it to a carwash, stopping to let the smoke and heat dissipate every mile or so...

And I vomited due to inhaling a mosquito....

The good news is the machine shop fixed my axle for free, and I have started designing my roll cage, the goal now is to build it so that I can attach seats somewhere, using the frame of the cage as an attachment point, and actually use the Hustler as a mobile hunting blind.

That was an incredible story! I really don't know what to say Hey, at least the only broken part on your Hustler was a key.

Thumbs down

Great story! Glad you got your machine back OK.
    I am restoring an old Hustler, and am almost finished. I am curious about how the key was sheared, was it a 1/4" x 1/8" key? I had 1 1/4" axles machined with 1/4" key ways to fit martin stock sprockets, and when I installed them I wondered about the possibility of shearing one of the two main drive sprockets since they take the most of the torque. I considered getting an additional key way cut in the axle and sprocket, but it was going to add a lot of expense to the resto. The guys at the machine shop told me it would take a tremendous amount of force to shear one, and not to worry. Did the sprocket slide on the axle?
    I saw your pictures of the resto, looking good!!

+ Reply to Thread