What would you do???

1. Welcome to 6x6 World.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. Looking forward to seeing you in the forums and talking about AATVs!
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: What would you do???

Thanks for the video. I could not hear any metal on metal. Like others have said check the spark plug for a spark, along with tight, clean connectons on wiring going to the plug. You said the plug was wet when you pulled it so it is getting fuel, now you just need a spark! Keep posting what your doing and we can all work through it.

no spark

Alright I gave her the old hillbilly spark test (screwdriver in the wire) and could not get any spark off of anything I touched while cranking it over.
    l like to buy stuff and no I don't do payments!

Quote Originally Posted by amphibious drew View Post
    Alright I gave her the old hillbilly spark test (screwdriver in the wire) and could not get any spark off of anything I touched while cranking it over.
    No the hillbilly test is to grab hold of the spark plug at the tip and try to start it

Get me a few beers and I'll give that a shot too.

Not sure how serious you are roadtorque, but after a few beers I've been known to try most anything while trying to fix up a project.

Hey Drew,
    Well if it was the key, it should still spark, just not at the right time as long as the flywheel is spinning which is is for the starter to spin the motor over. So I would go for maybe a wiring issue. First thing I would do from here is locate the kill switch wire. Usually a black one coming from the coil. If that shorts out on anything it will kill the spark. So disconnect it and try again for spark. Hopefull this is something as simple as a wire gone wrong somewhere.

Is it still making the noise you heard. I dont hear anything. If there was something maybe the coil came loose and hit the flywheel or something.
    Last edited by LarryW; 07-28-2009 at 08:20 PM.

Not sure how serious you are roadtorque, but after a few beers I've been known to try most anything while trying to fix up a project.
    I'm not serious, it will give you a zap if you try it. Doesnt feel to good

black wire test

Larry,
    Thanks, tried the wire test but it still didn't start. I think the noise was just the clutch disengaging when I gave up trying to crank it over.

Hey Drew

I did some searching and here is a pdf manual on your engine. chapter 8 page 47 starts ignition system. Maybe something there can help you. I would bookmark that as I just did.
    8-18hp cast iron 4 cycle tecumseh engines
    good luck

great help

Larry, that should be a tremendous help. Thank you. I saved the book and will be doing a series of test after work tomorrow. I feel better keeping this one factory original. I feel confident I can at least diagnose the problem by the weekend and keep my wife from complaining about my expensive immobile toys.

Larry, that should be a tremendous help. Thank you. I saved the book and will be doing a series of test after work tomorrow. I feel better keeping this one factory original. I feel confident I can at least diagnose the problem by the weekend and keep my wife from complaining about my expensive immobile toys.
    if the wife complains too much, just get her one! my wife does more donuts in the yard now than i do as for immobile toys, that's bound to happen. i'm currently at 4 machines, and the last of them, the argo should be back running tomorrow after a 2 month stint in the shop... only a matter of time till the next one breaks and so the cycle continues
    A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed.

+ Reply to Thread