What would you do???

1. Welcome to 6x6 World.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. Looking forward to seeing you in the forums and talking about AATVs!
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: What would you do???

What would you do???

Hi all. Just wanted to get some advice from the experts before my wife kills me. I have a Tomahawk 450 that is set up just like it came from the factory. However, I was not able to get a tach on it in time to adjust the governor before problems hit. The OH16O will not start for some reason. Rode it Sat. night and Sunday morning she was sick. Pulled the plug and replaced it, but there seems to be some sort of metal on metal noise when I try to start it. I bought this thing for $2100 a little over a month ago and I am trying to get the most out of it for the money. Rebuilding engines isn't exactly my forte. Should I get the engine rebuilt for me (assuming I can't get it to fire up again), or should I buy a new engine (suggestions welcome). I liked the nostalgia of having a stock drivetrain, but I wouldn't mind getting a little more speed. I posted this here rather than in the engine section because I want the advice of the Attex enthusiasts, and value their advice. Thank you in advance for any response
    l like to buy stuff and no I don't do payments!

Others may be able to pinpoint your problem from your discription, me I need some video/audio of the sound as you are trying to start it. I'm not an attex guy but I do know a bit about engines.

Hello Drew,
    Was it running ok when you shut it down? Is oil level ok?
    I would try to locate the noise. The noise may be something simple. Could it be the clutch? If you stick a hose near your ear and hold the other end around maybe you can see if its top end or bottom of motor? If you attempt a rebuild Im sure ifyou have any questions someone can answer. Sorry to hear about that.

Does the engine actually turn over or are you just hearing the starter trying to engage?

Unhappy motor noise

i'm guessing the inner crankshaft bearing committed suicide.... on the flywheel side

I might be going to Meadville in 2 weeks, I'd be more than happy to help you troubleshoot it.
    "Looks like you have a problem with your 4 wheeler........you're missin' two wheels there"

Update

So I cleaned the carb. It needed it but did not help. Oil level is still perfect from when I changed it 2 weeks ago. Engine does turn over and the plug smells like gas. If I take it out and turn the clutch by hand you can see the piston moving up and down and it feels like it is compressing. jpswift1, anyone with an amphib is always welcome at my house. However I will be camping Aug 7-9. If you are up during the week, beers on me if you want to help. If its running again by then your still more than welcome to stop by for some driving fun. Finally, Roadtorque, I tried uploading some video of me trying to start the poor little engine, but after a half hour of waiting for it to upload, I decided to just post a link to it. Untitled

Thanks guys.
    l like to buy stuff and no I don't do payments!

spark

You said you changed plugs. Did you check for spark?

ok Drew, i just watched your video. have you checked to see if it has spark? compression seems ok (as best as i can tell from a video). i couldn't hear the metal on metal that you described... perhaps just the starter gear on the flywheel gear??? if it does have spark, you might have a sheared flywheel key. it would spark but at the wrong time and not ignite the air fuel mix.
    A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed.

sheared flywheel key

Good point/explaination Racer. If you pull the flywheel change the key if you see any damage even if its not sheared, a key that is marked through its length is on its way to failure...anyway they're cheap

+ Reply to Thread