What would you do???

1. Welcome to 6x6 World.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. Looking forward to seeing you in the forums and talking about AATVs!
+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3

Thread: What would you do???

Update

Played with the Ohm meter today and it seems the problem may have started with the kill switch wire. When I took more shields off the engine, I discovered the kill wire was run right next to the block causing it to become bare due to heat. I think it probably grounded out against the block and shorted the coil out. Does this sound plausible???

Racerone3: I may need to build her one after I get this one back on the trails. I'm thinking a winter project. And if she doesn't like it then I'll have 2
    Last edited by amphibious drew; 07-29-2009 at 07:21 PM. Reason: wrong 2, to, too, two
    l like to buy stuff and no I don't do payments!

That sounds very likely. This happened to me a while back on one of my old Max II 6x6s. You're right, that Tomahawk is a nice a machine and I think to do anything but keep it original would be a sin. Let us know how you do after you fix the issue. Come up and join us for some riding in Western NY sometime too.
    "Looks like you have a problem with your 4 wheeler........you're missin' two wheels there"

Quote Originally Posted by amphibious drew View Post
    ..... Does this sound plausible???
    Bingo. That sure does!!!?

Quote Originally Posted by jpswift1 View Post
    You're right, that Tomahawk is a nice a machine and I think to do anything but keep it original would be a sin. Let us know how you do after you fix the issue.
    I agree with Jeff!!! Id keep it original if you can. Keep us updated

Lighter pocket book

Well I made some stops around NW PA today to check on ignition coils. Didn't look promising, however a little finger work on the computer and a phone call to Pats Small Engine and a brand new ignition is on order with a couple of keys just to be on the safe side. I also got my tiny tach today. I guess its a waiting game for now. I'll just have to keep trying to break the bolts that hold the ignition on. They seemed locked up pretty good, but none the less the Tomahawk shall remain completely original.

Update

The ignition coil still did not show up. A call to Pats Small Engine and I found out the backordered part has no time frame of being re-manufactured. It should be at some point in time, but no one's sure when. Depressed a little, but not discouraged I made some stops while I was out and about today and through a guy at a lawnmower shop I got a number for a small engine "shop." The guy, whose shop was his small house on a dirt road, had the part laying around. Put it back together tonight and installed the tiny tach. She seems to be running great. I will try to post a video of the test drive tomorrow. Its still on stands tonight from replacing an axle.

Anyways,
    Thanks to all you that helped diagnose the issue.

More trouble

Well I got to drive around for about 20 minutes after I set up the governor. With a total of 32 minutes on the new tiny tach the machine will not start again. I pulled off the flywheel cover and noticed it had loosened up. I read this would cause lack of spark somewhere so I tightened it up, but still nothing. What I did notice is that the flywheel had scrapped the cover housing. Must have been while running. So here is the new question. Would that cause the Stator and Coil Assembly to short out? If so, what special tools are needed to replace this unit as I could not get the flywheel off during prior diagnosis, although I did get the bolt off once.

+ Reply to Thread