Gurus HELP! trading for a Hustler - need help!

1. Welcome to 6x6 World.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. Looking forward to seeing you in the forums and talking about AATVs!
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread: Gurus HELP! trading for a Hustler - need help!

Gurus HELP! trading for a Hustler - need help!

Ok i am new to this Forum, so be patient with me! =D So I am trading some of my high end camera gear for a hustler.

I went out and test drove this thing and here is what I know. It looks to have a Kohler 25, and a skidsteer transmission (don't know much about that). It's got a rigged throttle that seems to work fine but shouldn't be a problem to replace. I think its one of the bigger ones 950 and above. He doesn't have a title for it but i checked with richard and he said that they didn't come with a title new. So i guess thats all fine. We took it out into a pond and it seemed to do fine. A little water was getting into the interior but he showed me it's because he doesn't have a proper plug for it and is using a makeshift. I couldn't see anywhere else where the water could get in so that seems good to go. It has a modified air breather on the back that you will see in the pictures.

I drove it and it felt a bit bumpy and it would smooth out, if i hit bumps it would kind of go up and down a bit, i think it might be a tire pressure thing. When making turns if i didn't do it right it would start stalling the engine but it didn't sound like there was any binding or problems with the transmission. When the owner drove it he could make turns easily and didn't have many problems so there must be a bit of a learning curve.

heres what i need to know!

1. How much would tires cost? - Tires look like they have some dryrot.
    2. How much would it cost to replace the seals where the axle goes through the body? - just in case that turned into an issue
    3. Is the drain plug a standard boat style plug? can i get one easily?
    4. Is there a generic throttle lever i could easily get for it?
    5. Can i drive this thing in national forest or state parks? No title so no sticker right? i live in Arkansas.
    6. Does anyone know what model this is?
    7. Am i getting hosed? LOL I'll be getting this thing for about 1600 thats about what my camera gear is worth.

Heres some pictures

ImageShack Gallery

hi and welcom i'll try to answer your ? tires depend on what's size www. small tires . com .your link is not working . axel berings are chep betwin 10 and 20 doll0rs the t cable can be brought from rec the makers of the max 1800 255 2511 the tranny is a t 20 still make them rec agin you might want to upload you pic here we can give better answers as for price sounds great robbie
    1999 max 2 18 b&s 22 tires custom . new max iv 23 k 26 i/n tires brown . ht cable promark winch . new toy 1972 attex st400 400ccjlo and she will be bad . ( the frog ) if it don't float with out you getting wet . don't bring it ! R.I.P sage rogers 4 11 09 . you can't fix stuped !!!!! raceone 3 .)

where you located at . robbie
    1999 max 2 18 b&s 22 tires custom . new max iv 23 k 26 i/n tires brown . ht cable promark winch . new toy 1972 attex st400 400ccjlo and she will be bad . ( the frog ) if it don't float with out you getting wet . don't bring it ! R.I.P sage rogers 4 11 09 . you can't fix stuped !!!!! raceone 3 .)

Link to pics

Quote Originally Posted by rdr View Post
    hi and welcom i'll try to answer your ? tires depend on what's size www. small tires . com .your link is not working . axel berings are chep betwin 10 and 20 doll0rs the t cable can be brought from rec the makers of the max 1800 255 2511 the tranny is a t 20 still make them rec agin you might want to upload you pic here we can give better answers as for price sounds great robbie
    ImageShack Gallery

Here is the link again maybe it will work if you just cut and paste it.

I am located in Arkansas.

Praetorin

Welcome to the amphibious forum. The link to the pictures that you posted looks like a Hustler 950 to me , because it does not have the tall sides that the deeper tub 980 has. That model is called a Bigfoot. All of the Hustler 980,s that I,ve ever seen came with 26 inch , Good year , Terra tires on them. The Hustlers were originally built in Jonesboro, Ark. I think. The 950 model that you recently traded for is seen most often, but the deeper tub 980 models are getting VERY hard to find. You,ll have lots of fun with the Hustler when you get it all lined out. Don,t do things half way, or you,ll live to regret it. I lived in Little Rock, Ark. for about 8 yrs as a teenager, before we moved to Louisiana. What part of Arkansas are you located in?

Good?

I live in Fayetteville, Arkansas. So is the 950 a good model? And is that Kohler 25 a good engine?

West Central Louisiana near Toledo Bend Reservoir
    Welcome to the forums.
    The last time I checked down here the local forest did NOT allow amphibs, due to width/ length restrictions. But check with your local Forrest Rangers because it seems that evey district has its own rules regarding ATV's. I have seen on the outdoor channel, that in Virginia people are not only allowed to ride their atv's on the highway and even into town they even encourage it! Tourism- gotta love it!

Try that down here and you'll have every Forrest Ranger who has a radio chasing you down to write you a "safe driver" award. We (thanks to a horse loving division chief) have been reduced to riding one trail and that only when it's dry. W A B

Quote Originally Posted by Praetorin View Post
    I live in Fayetteville, Arkansas. So is the 950 a good model? And is that Kohler 25 a good engine?
    Hi Praeton.I have a 25hp kohler,They are good motors and the air breather is stock.Looks like a rubber hose was used to relocate the breather.tires very from $60 to over $100,You can get the trottle lever and cable from RI For about $60.I used 2 large bolts with rubber washers for my drain plugs.You can get bearings and seals from a local bearing company.Hope this helps...

Thankyou! Yes that does help. I finally got the thing in my garage and I've cleaned it up. I took it out on it's first drive outdoors and there are a few things that concern me that I hope are easy to fix. First off I threw a chain off a sprocket. That was easy to get back on, looks like the chains might be a bit loose. I could probly adjust the tensioners and hopefully that will fix that issue. When i get going a bit faster it has a up and down wobble, im not sure if thats just because of tire pressure or bad tires or what. All the axles look straight so im not sure what could cause that. Any ideas? And when im making turns with this thing if im not moving a bit it seems forced. Are you always supposed to be moving when turning this rig?

Any help or answers would be nice!?

Quote Originally Posted by coosaridgerider View Post
    Hi Praeton.I have a 25hp kohler,They are good motors and the air breather is stock.Looks like a rubber hose was used to relocate the breather.tires very from $60 to over $100,You can get the trottle lever and cable from RI For about $60.I used 2 large bolts with rubber washers for my drain plugs.You can get bearings and seals from a local bearing company.Hope this helps...

Since you say that you don't have any bent axles, the up and down movement has to be your tires. One (or more) is probably low on air or has a flat spot from sitting for a while?

As for the turning, they do get easier to turn the faster you go but you should be able to turn from a stop fine as long as you aren't on asphalt/concrete.

+ Reply to Thread