What is a Transaxle Automatic Transmission

1. Welcome to 6x6 World.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. Looking forward to seeing you in the forums and talking about AATVs!
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: What is a Transaxle Automatic Transmission

The ability to transfer torque is the only hold back. Not saying it will not, because I have no experience with this style tranny. I'm just curious as to the amount of torque loss through the tranny. The ability to take a beating, and ability to deliver torque to some degree - is hinged on the type & quality of materials used to make it!
    I would love to get my hands on one to disect it. That's the only way to really understand something like that!
    Jeff
    02 Argo Bigfoot

I never get lost : I take expeditions!
    I'm guided by the Magic 8 Ball.

The TAT (transaxle automatic transmission) you are talking about is in fact the same transmission used in early Dixon zero turn mowers. Dixon bought the patent to this transmission in the mid-70's, and the zero turn lawnmower was born. It then became known as the 'Z' drive, or Dixon's 'cone drive' transmission. They used this transmission until the last 10 years or so when hydraulic drives became the thing to have. These cone drives are easy to find and have plenty of torque and power for a 6x6 project. By the way the Marauder plans mentioned here was just an article printed in Mechanics Illustrated. The article didn't have enough detail to build a working 6x6, and the complete plans haven't been available since the early eighties.
    Last edited by smyser; 02-23-2011 at 10:49 PM.

Did you make the Marauder in the end or not as I'm about to make one and wondered if you had a parts list or anything to help me make it at all

Hi
    A variation on the cone system
    One vertical 4inch diameter cone spun by engine .It shunts either left or right . The taper contacts a horizontal shaft with 1xdisc with taper on RH and the same again on the LH side . The lh and rh spin opposite directions giving f or rev [cox mowers]

There is a system that is laid out the same with cork faced clutches [greenfield mowers ]
    Either of the above system I would dought transmit a heavy unit such as a 6x6
    tomo

This transmission is very basic in operation, older snow blowers use a similar design for speed( only need one side). The cone is small on one end and big on the other, where the cone is contacted by the drum gives the reduction. Friction is used for torque transfer and is adsutable with spring pressure, contact surface area and I believe shift angle(similar to cvt tranny). Torque output would be no different that a cvt when spec'ed correctly(works in 8hp golf cart or 300hp snowmoblie).

+ Reply to Thread