Who owns the Attex Molds

1. Welcome to 6x6 World.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. Looking forward to seeing you in the forums and talking about AATVs!
+ Reply to Thread
Page 5 of 10 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5 6 7 ... LastLast

Thread: Who owns the Attex Molds

Quote Originally Posted by amphibious drew View Post
    I agree. Here's another idea. Not sure if it would work, but I see everyone making car stuff out of carbon fiber. Might be a little more than glass, but its light, looks good naked, and stronger than ether option out there so far. Ples you can get pre formed sheets for big parts.
    There is a lot of MISUNDERSTANDINGS about carbon fiber... Yes it is hell for strong when you pull or push on it, so it has higher stiffness. But it is very brittle as in will not hold up with impacts, or shock loading. Then you have the cost... VERY HIGH! For a body I would use good old e-glass, and one of the more flexable marine resins that are out there.

Paws

Quote Originally Posted by Roger S View Post
    The reason for HDPE instead of fiberglass is durability and flexability. I'd tear up a fiberglass body on every weekend ride.. with what I drive over.
    well the answer there is a STEEL rock guard for the belly of the rig. Just like we do on the big 4x4s.

Face it people there are people out there that can mess up a rock wall with a teaspoon! And with an ATV you have just given them something bigger to use.

Paws
    Last edited by Mike; 08-11-2009 at 11:09 PM. Reason: merged two consecutive posts (you can reply to everyone at once using the multi-quote button(s) )

Fiberglass Attex Bodies

Quote Originally Posted by George View Post
    Hey Paws,

I believe that the bulk of the remaining Attex frames were built after the ST300 design. The newer frames (1972 and up) have different dimensions and would not fit into an ST300 tub. You might consider using a newer model tub than the ST300.

Just an FYI
    I'm just telling people what I have access to, to make a mold for a body. If the tops are the same or nearly so and they only changed the lower tubs, that's still an easy fix. I don't know what all they changed over the years on any of the Attexs that is why I'm here and hoping to learn more.

While I'm at it, who would want a four place Attex? Have it still look like the two seater only longer.

I can make a body that none of you could break but it would be heavy and cost a lot more. A friend of mine had a new Max4 that he trashed in about a year, then wanted to know if I could fix it.... I ended up making a three part belly pan for it and that added about 160 lbs to the unit.

Paws

I received an email from Richard Clark who used to own the molds, and he gave me a good lead as to how to find the current owner. He said the current owner of the molds was talking about producing a few bodies...but probably nothing in production. I'm going to follow up on this later tomorrow and see what I can find out. We may have solved the urban legend of the Attex molds

BTW, for those who are interested, I also found the source who currently has all the Hustler molds and will be happy to lend them to someone who wants to get some bodies made...not sure if he has the mold for the Hustler 980...but that would be really sweet!

still cannot contact the guy who i was told probably has the molds. i emailed him once a month ago and also last night...probably the best idea is to create a reverse mold and start making fiberglass bodies to keep costs down before actually making plastic bodies...

on the other hand, no trademarks and patents exist that i know of, but can someone give me the printed patent number on an attex trans so i can look up the number and see if something exists?

this morning, i also decided to purchase the url www.attexatv.com...copeland still has AttexATVS.com but pulled his site down, so i have the one above reserved...maybe i can put an all attex board on there for the time being...to swap parts and a little classifieds section...i don't want to take away from this site though, i just don't want to have nothing up...

anyway has anyone heard anymore about these attex rumors lately?

Just playing around with some new headlights on an Attex...what do you guys think? any opinions? remember it's just photoshopped (and not very good at that, just thrown together), and the yellow couldn't be changed, but maybe a glossy black fiberglass attex? that's the next project...

BEFORE:

AFTER:

and a special thanks to jpswift1 for letting me use his picture!
    Last edited by AndyL; 09-29-2009 at 07:11 PM.

Thumbs down

Quote Originally Posted by andylmusic76 View Post
    ...what do you guys think? any opinions?
    LOL, that is actually pretty cool. I like it. I would keep the yellow though, and maybe a dash of green ones.

I wish you luck with trying to make a go of making molds. I offered to but nobody wanted to talk with me and plenty of guy were shooting it down. I guess because I live out on the left coast and I'm a woman I don't know jack ****, about working with fiberglass. I happen to be a shipwrite and worked for a number of yacht builders in the Puget Sound area and I'm not talking about no Bayliner. I learned my trade from my Dad and working with the hard nosed guys at Uniflite in Bellingham Wa. before Crap-Craft took them over.... OOPs chris-craft

Anyway I hope you have better luck then I did. And just a word of warning don't use chop!

Kristine

still cannot contact the guy who i was told probably has the molds. i emailed him once a month ago and also last night...probably the best idea is to create a reverse mold and start making fiberglass bodies to keep costs down before actually making plastic bodies...

on the other hand, no trademarks and patents exist that i know of, but can someone give me the printed patent number on an attex trans so i can look up the number and see if something exists?

this morning, i also decided to purchase the url www.attexatv.com...copeland still has AttexATVS.com but pulled his site down, so i have the one above reserved...maybe i can put an all attex board on there for the time being...to swap parts and a little classifieds section...i don't want to take away from this site though, i just don't want to have nothing up...

anyway has anyone heard anymore about these attex rumors lately?

i'm actually surprised i'm not getting any more feedback and action from this topic...maybe a "new" attex isn't what people want after all...or maybe people just don't have time to check on here too much lol

i'm actually surprised i'm not getting any more feedback and action from this topic...maybe a "new" attex isn't what people want after all...or maybe people just don't have time to check on here too much lol
    I'll put my two cents out there...I think the idea of fiberglass is the downfall here...It's heavier and more brittle. For instance if you hit a rock, fiberglass is going to crack while HDPE is a lot more likely to flex and withstand damage. Now don't get me wrong fiberglass has advantages like easy repair-ability (which is huge in my book) and I purposely bought fiberglass over poly. I just don't think a fiberglass Attex if very appealing to most folks...
    With all that and as negative as it may have sounded I'm not trying to discourage you. One thing I've learned is it doesn't matter what other people want, it's what you want!
    old school hustler
    02 superhawk

Thanks for The input! I have been contemplating the same thing, but as far as producing these, I want to make sure that I am making something the market wants too...so it's sellable. Thanks!

+ Reply to Thread