T-20 drums and shift pins

1. Welcome to 6x6 World.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. Looking forward to seeing you in the forums and talking about AATVs!
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: T-20 drums and shift pins

West Central Louisiana near Toledo Bend Reservoir

T-20 drums and shift pins

While inspecting a couple of used t-20's I found some pitting on the drums of one and grooves on the drums of another. I spoke to our welder at work and asked him about getting them welded up so I could turn them back to spec. He welds up worn spindles for some of the axles that our company builds, using a tig unit and rotator and being a certified nuclear welder, of course he said yes. I also spoke to Richard C who told me that the drums could be spray welded but tigged would be even better, cool. Is there anyone here that does this? I've never read anything about it but I haven't done a search either. This could save me a lot of cash down the road. 8 drums salvaged = big bucks $$$$$$

Also does anyone know off hand what the hardness is on the shift pins? Some of mine are slightly to badly worn. I think RC gets $8.00 for them, don't know if that is each or by the set, but that IS high for two 3/4" pieces of steel. There is an excellent metal shop near where I live that is very good about keeping, or getting whatever I need and there are several on-line sources for things such as this. We have a Rockwell tester at work and I carried one to test, but didn't have time, it seems that I have become a one-man department, so I am usually busier than a one armed flagman during rush hour, and yesterday was worse than usual. I can't see good sense in paying that kind of money for these little pins; when I could very well buy feet of metal and have a lifetime supply ya' know.

shift pins

the 1/4in pin on diamond shifter is a hardened dowell pin pressed into main body--hard to get out,but i have ground them off and drilled new holes on opposite side then instal on opposite side of tranny,p.s. use a reamer that is.002thousnth under size.hope this saves you $$&grief

Thanks Mepa, I can get the old pins out, I was just wondering about this for future reference. If I know the hardness I can probably come up with something more durable and buy it in length that I can cut, even doubling my saving...cha-ching $

BTW if you can get your hands on a set of Knippex adjustable pliers (similar to channellocks)you can get about anything loose, they are awesome! I have 4 pair- 6", 10", 12", and 22". Everybody at work likes the 22" pair, they are engraved with "Gregg's Big Ass Pliers". I just call them T-Rex.

The problem you have with welding is distortion from the heat. The drum gear tolerance may change if there is allot welding across the surface. You may review with your welder his procedure for maintaining the gear integrity. He may also want to preheat the drum and maintain it a an elevated temp during the weld process. If you can weld up the grooving and pits with a minimal amount of weld probably the better. Mark M may have some additional advise.Spray welding is a mechanical bond and does not localize the heat as much.

Yes, that is a concern, I kinda look at it like this: I have a housing that is dead, bands that are dead, and drums that are dead. I would use all this with better (but not new) bands and see what happens. One thing is for sure, I can't kill what is there now any deader than it already is. I am also concerned about the finish, the new ones appear to have been ground to spec, they are really shiny. I think it would be best to start by checking the hardness, which is what they do with the spindles, and then do the dye test for cracks before and after welding.

Sounds like you have it figured out. I'd also recommend taking diametrical measurements of the ring gear root and crest. If it works I'm sure there are allot of drums laying around that we need welded. Maybe not enough to let your retire, but probably a good beer allowance.

Not hardly!!! LOL! Now if we get TOO technical I'll have to get our QA guys involved, the head of that department was in the aerospace industry some time back and gears were his thing.

But you are right, there would be a lot of precise measurements to take, and I don't even have a list of tolerances to work from. What do you think check everything, weld, check again then turn and check again?

Back in the '80's I worked at a tool and cutter shop. They did simple sharpening and also designed complicated metal cutting tooling. Anyway, they would out source "flame spraying" to build up worn surfaces. We would precision grind the surface to true and prep it, and have it sprayed a few thousandths thick of a choice of metals, and then finish grind the surface. I don't know the details about heat, and it wouldn't be cheap. It was a good, high quality fix, though.

While talking to Richard, another fix he mentioned was a speedy sleeve. These I am familiar with, and they might be worth looking into, probably the least expensive fix available. If you are not familiar with them, they are used on shafts, to prevent and repair wear caused by seals. They would probably work at the seal areas on Argo axles also. They are held in place using adhesives.

Those drums are made out of ductile cast iron with a high carbon content. Tig welding on them would be my last resort. Spray weld would be my choice if it absolutely had to be saved.

Depending on how bad the pitting and grooving is I would suggest just turning them down till they clean up on a lathe. You can safely take of 10 to 15 thousands. Usually this is all thats needed.

You would have turn them down initially to remove the rusted pitted areas prior to spray welding so what have you got to lose?

Let us know how you make out as this could be good information for any who does a search on rebuilding there T20.

Mark

+ Reply to Thread