Exhaust ?

1. Welcome to 6x6 World.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. Looking forward to seeing you in the forums and talking about AATVs!
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Exhaust ?

Exhaust ?

Ihave seen the pics of TORYG's Bigfoot with rear exhaust. I sent him a PM a while back, but got no response. I'm wondering what he used to shield the exhaust heat from the body? I'm looking at doing the same rear exhaust, but hesitant about the heat!
    Jeff
    02 Argo Bigfoot

I never get lost : I take expeditions!
    I'm guided by the Magic 8 Ball.

I think the man you are refering to, that made the custom 2 into 2 exhaust, that came out the rear,, is on a Max IV not an Argo.
    Last edited by mudbug3; 10-08-2007 at 12:52 AM.

He's talkin' about Tory's Bigfoot, which he bought from Jon Hoath. I did an internal tailpipe on my response, and Jon liked it and did his.

The idea is double wall construction with forced air cooling between the exhaust pipe and an outer pipe or duct. Problem is, space is tight, limiting room for duct, insulation, and air flow. So the idea is a work in progress.. not nearly ready for prime time.

Argo Rear Exhaust

Thanks Roger !!!

Thanks for clearing that up and Im sorry for not replying to the prior posts. My computer crashed a month ago and I have to barrow time on other computers when I get the chance.

Thanks, & no problem on not replying! I understand, I had the same problem a few monthes ago!

If you don't mind telling, what are you using for the forced air cooling. I have an awsome idea!
    I started my career as a restoration technician at an old VW shop. The heat work off of the engine cooling fan, it blows across the exhaust & through ducts to the interior. There is a company that makes a 12v high output turbine fan, to put in the duct work, boosting the flow. I'll check on the price, they come as a pair.
    Not trying to but in, or steal any glory. Just wondering if this is what's needed to make it more functional!
    Jeff
    02 Argo Bigfoot

Found it!
    HEATER AND DEFROSTER BOOSTER SYSTEM - JCWhitney VW Parts

Would this work for the forced air cooling? The blowers are aboout 2.5" diameter.
    Jeff
    02 Argo Bigfoot

I'm using a fan similar to your JC's link. They're marine blowers from Boater's World. Mine is a Rule(the bilge pump people) but Attwood copies it. Also rule makes two sizes.. a 3 and a 4". I have a 3 but will replace it with a 4. I tapped into the brake cooling fan, so no added fan. Also replaced the argo fan with the rule 3" which draws 1/2 the amps @ same or + flow. They flow good with smooth aluminum duct, but not the stock argo black ribbed brake duct hose.

You're working on a bigfoot, right?

If you do the tailpipe I wouldn't do the 2.5" outer pipe, which is the biggest diameter you can fit in the body. With a 1.5" exhaust pipe, there's little room for insulation and air flow. I enlarged it to a 4 sided sheet metal duct, not as pretty, but more volume, and allows tailpipe to be moved up away from the rubber skirt. I'd use header wrap or something else in the inner pipe. The interesting part is, cutting a hole in your argo..

The payoff is good, with the exhaust in the rear. Having what most other aatv owners take for granted.

The newer frontier and avenger bodies are different, at first glance don't know what it'd take to do them, looks tight.
    Attached Images
    Last edited by Roger S; 10-09-2007 at 09:30 AM.

Roger,

I,m assuming that you are running an exhaust pipe the whole length of the tub, out the back? Would,nt this slow down the exhaust flow, and diminish the power out put of the motor? I know that pipe length is real critical on Harely,s,,depending on the performance you want. Shorter pipes 30-33 inches are better for hp , and 38-40 inches are much better for torque.

I never felt a power loss with the stock engine, muffler, and added tailpipe. The Built engine is very sensitive to exhaust construction. But there's no going back to the exhaust in my face. I

exhaust heat

Guys,
    Wrap your exhaust with exhaust wrap.. it works well.. I have my argo's exhaust wrapped and I can hold it after it's been running for a while (30 minutes).. also I have a thermistor I got from the same auto parts store to automatically activated ( at 100 degrees ) powering 2 -- 4 inch bidge fans a 210 CFM each... I have a 24 hp Honda in mine and the engine compartment temp has never reached over 120 degrees and that was on a 95 degree day and playing around on it for 2 hours straight. All of this including the fans and wrap ran me under $100... the wrap was $40 by itself. well worth the investment..

+ Reply to Thread