How I clean Walleye/Pickerel

1. Welcome to 6x6 World.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. Looking forward to seeing you in the forums and talking about AATVs!
+ Reply to Thread

Thread: How I clean Walleye/Pickerel

How I clean Walleye/Pickerel

I know there are many ways to do this, but I thought I would show you guys how I do it.
    Don't forget to take the "cheeks", they are the best part

I enjoyed the vid. Keep them coming. How did you cook the fish? I live in NJ so I can only imagine how fine they tasted.

Looks delish!

I'm just glad we didn't get to the part of the cooking where the size 3 green Croc sandle came into play!

~m

Quote Originally Posted by jerseybigfoot View Post
    I enjoyed the vid. Keep them coming. How did you cook the fish? I live in NJ so I can only imagine how fine they tasted.

Kinda forgot about this

A couple different ways:

Dip in egg, coat with "Cornflake Crumbs", Season with Lemon Pepper, Garlic Powder, Seasoning Salt, Cook in frying pan with a little hot oil untill golden brown.

OR

Coat with "Extra-Crispy Shake & Bake", put coated fish on a non-stick tray, throw it on the BBQ for about 20 min.

Enjoy.

If you have enough, save the thicker pieces for lunch the next day. It's really good.

RD

Sounds delicious: The last fishing trip I was on was in 1965 with my parents and family in Northern Minnesota. Fished for Pike and Perch at a really big lake (seamed that way as a kid you could not see the other side). Stayed at at a fishing camp where the men and boys had a good time the Moms and daughters did not. Outhouses, cold showers , kerosene lamps and mosquitoes. My little 5' aunt caught 1 huge northern which seamed more than half her size, We all laughed at her yelling and hollering as she tried to reel it in. One pike was all we had for the first day and wasn't enough to feed everybody so the next day we went to smaller lake where we caught dozens of big sunfish and perch. I learned how to clean fish that day and really enjoyed the fish dinner that evening.

Another great video. I love them!!!

1 question, when you split the fillet in half, are you getting the bones out? Is that what you doing there? Seems to work good if that what you doing. I never seen that. Its been awhile but it seems walley and pike have extra bones sticking out from the rib bones.

cool video though

Quote Originally Posted by LarryW View Post
    Another great video. I love them!!!

1 question, when you split the fillet in half, are you getting the bones out? Is that what you doing there? Seems to work good if that what you doing. I never seen that. Its been awhile but it seems walley and pike have extra bones sticking out from the rib bones.

cool video though
    Yes, Exactly
    Walleye have a line of "Pin Bones" along their centerline. Notching either side of the centerline at the tail end, then pulling the pieces apart, removes these bones and only a very thin strip of meat.
    Pike have a "Y-bone" along the same place, and is a little more difficult to remove nicely, but it can be done.

I miss lake Erie walleye and perch, best tasting fish in the world, everyone down here prefers bass and crappie.
    Cave Trolls Rule!

+ Reply to Thread