Mid-Engine Max IV

1. Welcome to 6x6 World.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. Looking forward to seeing you in the forums and talking about AATVs!
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 7 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread: Mid-Engine Max IV

Mid-Engine Max IV

I was rebuilding this Max IV that I picked up out of Atlanta last year thanks to a hot tip from jpswift1. Jennifer decided that it was the one that she wanted (even though I tried to talk her into a Max II ). So I finished sanding the frame, painting everything, replacing all of the flanges, bearings, axles (thanks to RI for the flanges & bearings and Whipper for the axles). While we were putting it back together we started with a lot of "what-if's" like:

What if we move the seat back about a foot?
    What if we just make it a one seater with a suspension seat?
    What if we move the T20 forward and lower the motor?

In the end, Jennifer said I could do whatever I wanted to with it but the only request that she had was that it had a windshield...easy enough.

Really the only thing that we compromised on was the T20. I initially wanted to move it forward (like Whipper has done on Godzilla) but after looking at the frame and seeing what was involved and questioning whether or not I could make the clutch fit on a non-springer Max, I decided to do the next best (and easiest) thing. I left the T20 where it was and moved the engine forward down into the tub.

So here are the changes that we made to date:
    -Cut the stock roll cage down so that it was a few inches lower
    -Welded some tabs on the roll bar and made a windshield to fit it
    -Removed all of the seats and replaced them with one high back seat w/ 5 point harness on a suspension pedestal. The seat was located further back for comfort and hopefully a better ride overall.
    -Made some new adjustments for the laterals to move them back
    -Removed the engine stand and bent a mount that would span the entire frame so that I could mount the motor and battery down low.
    -This Max didn't come with a motor so I got her a new Bandolero motor

Things left to do:
    -Find a belt that will work
    -Finalize engine location
    -Fabricate an exhaust
    -Make sure that the oil filter will clear the T20 shift linkage
    -Purchase new tires/wheels

So hopefully in the end Jennifer will have a decent riding Max IV with some power. I will probably end up putting the Vampire ASX tires on it but I haven't completely made my mind up on those yet.

Thanks to all of you who helped me make some decisions. You know who you are. Here's the pictures so far. I will update the thread as I go:

Here's the suspension seat mounted:
    Last edited by Mike; 08-31-2009 at 09:28 PM.

looks great Mike. that machine has come a long way in a short time
    A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed.

Looks Awesome!!! I can't wait to see it finished!!! Have you thought about a split shifter?

Quote Originally Posted by evil8x8 View Post
    Looks Awesome!!! I can't wait to see it finished!!! Have you thought about a split shifter?
    I really haven't given the split shifter much thought but that may not be a bad addition.

Wow, Mike, what a build.

And all you had to do to make Jennifer happy was put on a windshield. I remember all I asked for once was some footstraps.( O.K. & maybe a bigger motor). Give you guys an inch & the creativity goes a mile. Never underestimate the power of the "what if".

Love it!

Bridget

Quote Originally Posted by Mike View Post
    I really haven't given the split shifter much thought but that may not be a bad addition.
    Hey Mike,
    That looks like a fun project. Looking great!!!

As far as the split shifter it seems like it would be easy to redo it to a split shift but put a pin or something in it so you could make it shift both at once or pull the pin and split it. Then you dont have to mess with the double shifters. Or maybe make the shifters close enought so you could shift them both at once. Rather then doing it twice. The split shift would be cool at times but most of the time you probably dont need it and would be more of a hassle when reversing. I still have never owned a t20 and only going by thought rather then experience with the split shifter.

Very cool Mike. I had no idea you had this in the works.

I had the same problem with getting a new belt. Marc came up with an easy solution for me. I cut a belt that I knew fit both clutches and than just measured the gap between the ends (as the new span was longer than the original) and added that measurement to the belt's original length. I then went to the Dayco article on this site(http://www.6x6world.com/forums/gener...ive-belts.html) and found a belt that would fit. I ordered it from Manufacturing Supply and it was in the Lil' Truck a week later.

Will we see it a the October Busco ride?
    Banned

Mike; Very unique lots of great Ideas and practical solutions.

( QUOTE ) " I had the same problem with getting a new belt. Marc came up with an easy solution for me. I cut a belt that I knew fit both clutches and than just measured the gap between the ends (as the new span was longer than the original) and added that measurement to the belt's original length. I then went to the Dayco article on this site. "

George,

Thats an exellent idea!

I would say Jennifer got a little more that just a windshield.
    What a great project you've taken on. And it's looking good. That's gonna be one awesome ATV,AATV,AAATV,ATATVE,
    How about just a good old 6X6.
    You may have started a new trend for all the Max IV guys out there.I like the single bucket seat. It all of a sudden looks fast.
    Wow! you can actually service the T-20 now.
    You have lots of room to get creative with the headers.
    I hope Jennifer lets you drive it someday.
    Jennifer, you've got to name this one.

Looking Good Mike.

Whipper

+ Reply to Thread