Hot rod wedgie

1. Welcome to 6x6 World.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. Looking forward to seeing you in the forums and talking about AATVs!
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Hot rod wedgie

Hot rod wedgie

Hello everyone. I have a project that I would appreciate a little input on> I am currently installing a kohler 440 engine and an argo tranny into an spg wedge. This is my first 6x and i would love any advie.

sorry 4 the spelling -- feeding 2 mos old daughter future aatv lover

If I remember correctly, the SPD Wedge had the motor mounted sideways, compared to being mounted front to back as in most AATV's. It might be a good idea to make a mount for the engine and transmission, bolt them on the custom engine mount, and then drop it into the machine might be a good method. Does your machine have a jet pump on it? If so, the engine might have to set up a little higher so it clears the jet pump. That is just a thought, but I would have to see the machine closer or see a pic of the engine compartment to help you out more. Good luck with it!
    "Looks like you have a problem with your 4 wheeler........you're missin' two wheels there"

Wedge

Unfortunately, you will probably need to cut the back seat out of the machine to fit anything in there. I guess you could stack the engine on top of the transmssion like the Max IV to maybe fit it into the engine compartment. Also, the #40 chain will be a weak link.
    I have to agree with the previous post about making a sub-frame to get everything mounted and then bolt the sub frame in place. You will also have to come up with a steering linkage to control the brakes. Are you planning on using the steering wheel?

I have made a motor mound that will bolt to the top of the jet pump well and have raised the motor another 3" above that as well. this will place the air cleaner just below the level of the engine compartment. by doing this i dont' have to cut out the back seat to mount the tranny I was going to make a mount for the transmission and jack shaft assembly, that I will have to build to drive the chains. Should I build all these mounts seperate or weld them togetherin one, or two units?

another question i have is that i would like to remove the disc brakes from behind the discs on the tranny and move them to the front of the discs to shorten the linkages. will this cause any leverage problems on the brake disc?

I am going to use the steering wheel (maybe a billet aluminum one)

thanks for the help guys. I hope this thing work well

Like with most posts on here, I don't have any technical advice to offer, I'm just here for moral support Good luck with your project though and post up some pictures if you get a chance! This sounds very interesting.

thanks mike I'll see about some pics. I appreciate the help. Im pretty new to these six wheelers but I've always wanted one. I can't justify a new one in montana ( the trails are way too rough for these) but a project is perfect. I'd like too build something to run in the sand dunes. and in the snow.
    by the way, from some of the posts I am guessing that this site is new. It is fantastic and the posts from the members are funny and informative to a newbie like me.
    I'm looking forward to many conversations.

thanks again to all.

Thanks for the kind words. We are less than a month old and even though there are only ~40 members right now, they have a wealth of information to offer. I am just lucky enough to get to sit back and learn from the masters Also, like you mentioned, the members are funny and helpful which makes this place even more enjoyable!

Also I was going to reject your avatar since your missing a set of wheels on those ATVs but I guess I can let it slide for now until you get your wedge going

Hey Tanker,

I can't help with your Wedge other than to say they are very cool looking machines. I posted a picture of two that I saw in 2005 in this site's gallery.
    Banned

Well if I chain my two bikes together I have an 8 wheeler does that count for now.

I have seen all the pics of the wedge that I can find on the internet and I thought it was pretty cool looking also. I have never read a post that actually talked about how they drive. They had to have been a little under powered with that 295 in them and the heavy glass bodies but the old kohler 440 should liven things up. I almost decided to go full hydraulic drive but settled on this route because of weight savings and space usage. I was planning on finishing the motor mounts this week but have been working 14 hour days in the hot sun all week. All I have the energy to do is type, and only then if I dont worry about spelling.

+ Reply to Thread