engine RPM

1. Welcome to 6x6 World.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. Looking forward to seeing you in the forums and talking about AATVs!
+ Reply to Thread

Thread: engine RPM

engine RPM

I'm not sure if I'm in the right forum but i'll ask anyway. What is the safe RPM for a stock 18m kohler engine in an Argo.This is a transplant into an 83 6x6 and not really sure how to set the throttle up. I don't want to blow it up.I have it set now at approx 3500 with no load but also no power when under load. I am bypassing the governor because with it I also have no top end power with it hooked up. Any help would be appreciated. I have a digital laser tach so I can get very close to what ever RPM is recommended.

Quote Originally Posted by spits View Post
    I'm not sure if I'm in the right forum but i'll ask anyway. What is the safe RPM for a stock 18m kohler engine in an Argo.This is a transplant into an 83 6x6 and not really sure how to set the throttle up. I don't want to blow it up.I have it set now at approx 3500 with no load but also no power when under load. I am bypassing the governor because with it I also have no top end power with it hooked up. Any help would be appreciated. I have a digital laser tach so I can get very close to what ever RPM is recommended.
    The minimum rpm on this engine is 2,400; maximum is 3,600, with throttle and choke plates wide open.

Unless you have bottomless cash in your wallet, I would not recommend bypassing the governor on any air cooled engine. Parts WILL overheat and toast, especially in our application. If you can't reach 3,600 rpm, it's better to fix the system than diable it. A governor is there for a reason, for sure.

Start by making sure your governor shaft is rotating freely, buy a new governor spring, and place it in the 5th hole from the pivot point, and on the throttle control lever it's the 6th hole from the pivot. This is the starting point on Kohler KT17/M18 engines.

Now that you've done that, don't mess with the governor anymore, and move on to your carb.

If you haven't replace your fuel filter this year, go ahead and do that. If you haven't had your carb open for a while, take it off, drop the bowl and make sure it's clean, and the float level is set properly. Put it back on the engine, and then make sure your hi/lo mixtures are set and idle speed is set. Remember when you set the high limit, it's not to the 3,600 rpm level, it's to the max rpm that a slightly rich side of lean will produce.

Now, with your engine warm, is the time to go back to your governor. Run the engine wide open, and move the governor spring on the throttle side to adjust your high rpm up or down to 3,600.

I've done this procedure plenty of times, and not once have I had any problems getting this engine, with all of its systems in proper working order, to do what the book says it should.

Hope this helps,

Planter Bob

Yep, never exceed a safe rpm. A real danger is flywheel explosion. All engines are different, and have weak points. However..

\

Quote Originally Posted by Roger S View Post
    Yep, never exceed a safe rpm. A real danger is flywheel explosion. All engines are different, and have weak points. However..

nice tach there roger what kind is it ????????? my max II is set to turn 4500 . 4300 under load . the kohler will be turning about the same as u are after busco . sweetttttttttttttttttt robbie
    Last edited by rdr; 08-28-2009 at 08:18 PM.
    1999 max 2 18 b&s 22 tires custom . new max iv 23 k 26 i/n tires brown . ht cable promark winch . new toy 1972 attex st400 400ccjlo and she will be bad . ( the frog ) if it don't float with out you getting wet . don't bring it ! R.I.P sage rogers 4 11 09 . you can't fix stuped !!!!! raceone 3 .)

It's an Equus.. think I spelled it right. One of the few that work on a vanguard.. firing every revolution. They make a smaller one, and a few different styles and rpm ranges.

Quote Originally Posted by Roger S View Post
    It's an Equus.. think I spelled it right. One of the few that work on a vanguard.. firing every revolution. They make a smaller one, and a few different styles and rpm ranges.
    thanks roger . we going to see that bad a$$ argo down this way in oct . rob
    1999 max 2 18 b&s 22 tires custom . new max iv 23 k 26 i/n tires brown . ht cable promark winch . new toy 1972 attex st400 400ccjlo and she will be bad . ( the frog ) if it don't float with out you getting wet . don't bring it ! R.I.P sage rogers 4 11 09 . you can't fix stuped !!!!! raceone 3 .)

Thanks for the info guys. Set it up as PlanterBob said and works pretty good. If I can ever figure out how to post some pics of the transplant I'll do so.

Quote Originally Posted by spits View Post
    Thanks for the info guys. Set it up as PlanterBob said and works pretty good. If I can ever figure out how to post some pics of the transplant I'll do so.
    coollllllllllllllllllllllll can't wait . mike has a thread on posting pic . on the site . robbie

+ Reply to Thread