how do i fix my hustler?

1. Welcome to 6x6 World.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. Looking forward to seeing you in the forums and talking about AATVs!
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 11 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread: how do i fix my hustler?

How do I fix my Hustler?

I've recently aquired an old hustler which i think is a 980 but im not sure. it has a plastic tub and a 1 cylinder Kohler engine (16 horse?) Its transmission was made in Jonesboro by a company called Skid Steer i think, and it has 21 inch tires. Its been sitting in a field where it was driven into and parked about 2 years ago. If this isnt enough to ID it ill post some pics as soon as i figure out how.
    Last edited by Stonewall; 10-12-2011 at 11:44 PM.

What's wrong with it?

If it has a single cylinder Kohler (K321 16HP) and 21" tires it is a late 70's, early 80's Hustler 950. What is wrong with it that you're trying to fix?
    "Looks like you have a problem with your 4 wheeler........you're missin' two wheels there"

Considering who gave it to me, there could be anything wrong with it.....im going to try to get it started today, but its missing a torque converter belt so i wont be able to see if the trans is any good. Ive never had a 6x6 before and i was also wondering what problems are normal on these things? what should i look for?

I would start by de-greasing / pressure washing the entire vehicle inside and out to get an idea of what is going on in the tub. Next I would spray all the sprocket tubes and bolts on the axles with Pb blaster over and over for a few days as more than likely the axles will need to come out. You need to do this in preparation to replace the axle bearings search for buffalo bearing on the board. in the mean time search the board there is a thread about proper belt size for the Hustler. Make sure the chains are in good shape and lubed if not replace them.

T-20 drain it and pay attention to what type of fluid comes out. Reddish ATF or type F good. Gear oil BAD. again do a search on the T-20 about fluid but basically one tube of limited slip stuff and fill with type F until it runs out the Bottom hole.

That should get you started for about a week or so. Anything specific you find post it up and people are more than willing to help. Pictures work the best so upload some if you can.

Welcome to the board

Mike
    "Don't worry my Dad's a TV repairman, he has an excellent set of tools..I can fix It"

OK thanks. I'll try to get it washed and see if the engine will run this afternoon, then I'll post again. I highly doubt that the trans has ever had the fluid changed, but it seems to shift OK.

The outter bearings from Buffalo Bearing are part number HC 206-19 R3 . Their number is (716) 874-1720. They're excellent people to deal with. You can call Recreatives Amphibious Six-Wheel Drive All-Terrain Vehicles: MaxATVs - Call 1-800-255-2511 to get parts for the T-20 transmission. You'll most likely need a pair of case gaskets and a set of O-rings for the steering plungers.
    "Looks like you have a problem with your 4 wheeler........you're missin' two wheels there"

the kohler motor is no good. is there any way i can find out if the t-20 is good without having a motor and torque converter belt? i have an 8 horse briggs engine, is there any chance it will be enough to pull it? i cant justify paying $30+ for the converter belt without a good motor. what can i do?
    1983 Hustler 945-HK 627cc Vanguard
    1982 GMC K-10 Sierra Classic Suburban 6.2 Diesel
    2010 Chevy Silverado 1500
    1974 Honda ATC 70
    1986 Honda ATC 250ES Big Red

There is no Z in Diesel!!

An 8 horse would not be enough to power the Hustler. What is wrong with the motor? I'd try to fix it if I were you, the Kohler K321 is an excellent motor if you were to get it going.

It apparently got filled with water.....everything is rusted apart. Looking into the intake I can see that the valve has rusted to the head. The throttle flap thing (I forgot what its called) is froze and will not budge, I broke the control lever trying to free it. The coil is no good either...thats like $25 right there. Most of the cooling ducts are rusted away. How much would a used one thats running cost? Would anyone here like to sell one? I looked at brand new Kohler 16 and 20 horse motors but they were like $1000-$1200. Could I put a Briggs of some sort in it? I like Briggs better anyway. Would I be better off having this guy I know that does lots of mower and small engine work overhaul it? I dont know what to think. Thanks for all of the help so far!
    1983 Hustler 945-HK 627cc Vanguard
    1982 GMC K-10 Sierra Classic Suburban 6.2 Diesel
    2010 Chevy Silverado 1500
    1974 Honda ATC 70
    1986 Honda ATC 250ES Big Red

There is no Z in Diesel!!

+ Reply to Thread