Alaska moose hunt with a Mudd-Ox

1. Welcome to 6x6 World.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. Looking forward to seeing you in the forums and talking about AATVs!
+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Alaska moose hunt with a Mudd-Ox

Alaska moose hunt with a Mudd-Ox

We just completed a 6 day moose hunt here in Alaska that we used a 2010 Mudd-Ox as a transport and recovery vehicle. It was about 49 miles into our moose camp area that included two mountain passes and numerous swamp and small river crossings. we also went about another 40 miles around the camp area during the actual hunting. We successfully harvested two large bull moose. the Mudd-Ox was unbelievable in recovering the meat and racks after stalking the animals. We were able to drive right up and load them into the back of the Ox and put 3 people up front and basically the Ox would go wherever we took it. The moose hunting area is all swamps, tundra and spruce forest. We had two 4 wheelers and a Rhino along also but they were ineffective in retrieval and were used primarily for transport to and from camp. Some info about the Mudd-Ox we used about 16 gallon of fuel each way. It was a little like the turtle and the hare as the machine has the low gear option and chugs along about 12 mph when fully loaded with the trailer. We had about 700 lbs in the Ox and trailer weighted about 850 lbs loaded. We used walking beam amphibious trailers to transport the camping gear food etc on the way in and for hauling the moose out from camp. As is typical for any Alaskan adventure we had a few issues. We blew a belt due to driver error(mine) trying to climb a hill that everyone goes around ( the Mudd-Ox made it!), we helped a fellow hunter improvise a broken a arm and we had to improvise a broken snap ring on the trail. Each moose had over 600 lbs of meat so we had heavy loads going out. I have enclosed a link to additional pictures.
    enjoy
    Mark
    MobileMe Gallery
    Attached Images
    Last edited by akexpress; 09-10-2009 at 01:55 AM. Reason: add link

AKEXPRESS, Outstanding pics and story.

What an industrial use of an AATV. Sounds like you've spec'd out the right machine for the job. Congrats on a successful hunt !

don

turned in over 1200 lbs of meat for processing. We will eat well this winter.

Congrats on the Moose, I wish I had stories to tell about my Moose and Elk this yr, but both of them were pretty easy.
    I like your trailers too, they are similar to the ones I build, but mine are Aluminium Tubs and the hitch is designed different (Raised hitch to clear logs/rocks ect)

RD

These trailers do work well and the frame is recessed in the botton of the tub so they are smooth and slide thru the mud easily, they have now reconfiquired the axles so they match the higher ground clearance of the Mudd-Ox for us. It is nice having the gear clean when you get to camp or home and they float nicely also. Surprisisngly the fiberglass has held up very well and is easy to repair if needed

Nice photos!!!

Matt

Very cool! Alaska rocks!
    I ride a brown '96 Max 4 (skid plate, roll cage, 26" Rawhides, 20hp, custom winch and tow plates) with a 2K front winch and a 4K come-along for back up. I pack 20'tow-strap, 2 chains and 2 hooks,a jeep jack, and a big block of PT wood. Also an axe and chainsaw. And mechanic tools. I have a tote with a tarp and bungees. Spare parts. Two rifles. Hey, arent I supposed to be able to have three passengers?

+ Reply to Thread