help diagnose my Hustler CVT issue

1. Welcome to 6x6 World.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. Looking forward to seeing you in the forums and talking about AATVs!
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread: help diagnose my Hustler CVT issue

help diagnose my Hustler CVT issue

I'm having an issue with my CVT system and I'd thought I'd throw it out there to find a solution.

Here is a history of what's going on:

I current belt is 46 1/4 and 1.23 inches it's an old belt and I assume it was originally 1.25. I ordered a Dayco HPX 5001 belt as it fit the specs and was a High performance belt. I put it on the machine and ran it for a couple minutes and turned the machine off and found this:

So I checked my old belt and it matched the size. The tension is not that tight. I installed the belt without much difficulty by walking it over the driven.
    The only issue I have with the old belt is an oscillation at about 3/4 power:

I'm at a loss and don't want to replace the replacement until I figure it out. I do have a custom engine mount that may need adjusting.

Any insights or suggestions would be much appreciated.

Thanks

Mike
    "Don't worry my Dad's a TV repairman, he has an excellent set of tools..I can fix It"

Can't tell from the video, but 1st check your rubber engine mounts. Make sure they are not letting the motor "twist". Are both clutches set up for 1 1/4" belt?

Whipper

Hey Mike, check both pulley faces to make sure there aren't any ridges or grooves worn into them. Do you know if the belt recommended by Hustler was 1 3/16" or 1 1/4"? I don't know for sure, but just throwing a couple of ideas out there.
    "Looks like you have a problem with your 4 wheeler........you're missin' two wheels there"

Quote Originally Posted by whipper-ag View Post
    Can't tell from the video, but 1st check your rubber engine mounts. Make sure they are not letting the motor "twist". Are both clutches set up for 1 1/4" belt?

Whipper
    Whipper I used poly swaybar bushings for mounts it seems pretty secure and the engine doesn't seem to twist under load.

Is there a way to measure the clutches to determine the proper width belt it takes? With this old of machine there is no telling whats been swapped out.

Quote Originally Posted by jpswift1 View Post
    Hey Mike, check both pulley faces to make sure there aren't any ridges or grooves worn into them. Do you know if the belt recommended by Hustler was 1 3/16" or 1 1/4"? I don't know for sure, but just throwing a couple of ideas out there.

Jeff the driven does have a slight rough groove at the bottom I'm going to see if I can polish it with some emery cloth today. From what I've seen on the board the hustler belts were all 1.25 and were 46.5 in long. I'm going to get a longer belt as recomended by Don (The Man) and see if that works. What I'm confused about is that the belt seems to be loose enough when static
    Last edited by micmac; 09-11-2009 at 11:56 AM.
    "Don't worry my Dad's a TV repairman, he has an excellent set of tools..I can fix It"

The belt looks like it was in a grinder. If you have just belt dust from the failure check the drive cvt shaft for cuts from a pipe wrench. That with a new tight belt will give just dust. If you have belt teeth that came off you probably have a defective belt

Quote Originally Posted by jerseybigfoot View Post
    The belt looks like it was in a grinder. If you have just belt dust from the failure check the drive cvt shaft for cuts from a pipe wrench. That with a new tight belt will give just dust. If you have belt teeth that came off you probably have a defective belt
    Marc,

I did have belt teeth come off so I'm hoping that it was just a defective belt. I looked at the Drive clutch and ran the engine at idle and had a paint stick with emery cloth taped to the end. I finished it off with steel wool so everything looks smooth. What do you think about the belt vibration in the video? do you think something is out of alignment?

Mike

I looked at the vid a few times and it looks like the belt is out of alignment or bending when its vibrating. The engine should be moved outboard a little bit.

Blackbird cvt under load and at speed.

Marc,

By outboard do you mean outword toward the left side of the machine?

Thanks for all the input guys this is great info

Mike

Here is what the alignment looks like

+ Reply to Thread