help diagnose my Hustler CVT issue

1. Welcome to 6x6 World.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. Looking forward to seeing you in the forums and talking about AATVs!
+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4

Thread: help diagnose my Hustler CVT issue

Hehe.

What I noticed in your first video was the two cvt units didn't always move in unison. Don't know why that is.. but I hope I never have to mix and match cvt parts. My argo belt is 11 years old.

Just wondering about something. on the two stroke drive clutches how much space between the belt and the moving sheave? on my max IV 4 stroke there is about an 1/8 space before belt pinch. On my Hustler the is just a very small area almost imperceptible and the belt is 1.23 inches. If I use a 1.25 belt there is almost no space whatsoever. however it rides on the driven like its supposed to.

I checked it against a thinner belt from my max and there is a 1/8 in. space. I'm wondering if the PO swapped the 1.25 belt using drive clutch for one that uses a thinner belt and left the original driven?
    "Don't worry my Dad's a TV repairman, he has an excellent set of tools..I can fix It"

Another piece of the puzzle

I had changed the spring in the driven as the old one seemed worn and not enough spring tension. Now watching the video you can see that the driven opens slower than the drive clutch. This might be due to the fact that the driven tension is high enough that it takes up all the slack quickly causing the belt to be too short.

That might explain why the belt tension seems good static but the belts are being destroyed like they are too short.

Just throwing it out there

Mike
    "Don't worry my Dad's a TV repairman, he has an excellent set of tools..I can fix It"

Mike go back to the original driven spring and try it out.

Here is a good article on clutch tuning.

Maybe Mike can make it a permanent link sticky in "how to's"

Snowtech Magazine - Snowmobiles, Snowmobiling, Snowmobile Techncial Data

Marc,

Thanks for that link! its a lot to digest but I love reading that kind of stuff.

Whipper put me in contact with a former Salisbury tech rep who now runs a cvt and belt company on the west coast. Thanks again Whipper for putting me in touch with him. To say he knows his stuff would be an understatement. He actually used to go to the Hustler factory in jonesboro Arkansas. I learnd that the Hustlers actually came with a 1.25 belt that fit the drive clutch and the driven (a 1 3/16 from Borg warner) was shimmed to match the Drive. Mine was either replaced at some point or the shims removed. If I had to guess someone may have put a different t-20 in and differt clutch. So that makes sense on why the belt seem to match the drive but not the driven.

The most importantly the belts I was using are too short. Don knew this without batting an eye (The Man) So now he is going to find a belt and the proper shims for the driven then I need to make sure it's aligned and hopefully I should be good to go.

Mike

I just wanted to follow up on this thread

The problem proved to be too tight of a belt combined with slightly offset clutches.

I used the 1/4 " square tube in between the sheaves of the driven. This worked excellent to line things up and determine measurements.

Also contributing was the need to shim the sheaves on the driven slightly wider to accept a 1.25 belt. The clutch came stock to accept a 1 3/16 belt

http://www.6x6world.com/forums/trans...en-clutch.html

Thanks for all the help everyone

Mike

+ Reply to Thread