High Speed Clutch in a Max IV

1. Welcome to 6x6 World.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. Looking forward to seeing you in the forums and talking about AATVs!
+ Reply to Thread

Thread: High Speed Clutch in a Max IV

High Speed Clutch in a Max IV

As many here know, Richard's Relics sells a High Speed Clutch for $300 that some boardmembers swear by as a simple way to give the Max IV more get up & go. My question is are there any major installation issues with this swap? Richard Clark's website mentions a potential fitment issue when replacing the stock clutch with his high speed job, so I wanted to pick the brains of those who have one of these things and ask what the real story is before coughing up three bills.

Also, I've read many discussing "Green Spring vs. Red Spring." I'm not a gear head so I don't understand what all the fuss is about. Obviously one is great and one is lame, but what do they do and what makes one so superior to the other? Would someone please explain - in layman's terms - what this spring does and what the benefit of going from green to red is??? Also, just how much of a PIA is switxhing out this magic spring? Special tools, time involved, etc.?

Many thanks.

four stroke clutch

i got clutches matched set 4 stroke off richard driver and driven what a difference for my 27 horse/ of course when i got my 6x6 it had a 2 stroke driven and a four stroke driver with way to small of a belt. the way he explained it to me he made it sound like red spring was for the 2 stroke only. After i spent over $ 600.00 he never sent anything about clutch alignment after several email he said to put them straight no offset / avoid /everytime i ask about info i never get answer from richards relics after spending over $1200.00 at richards

Smile part$ is part$

I wonder why people spend there money there? seems like alot of money for a 185.00 clutch
    Never trust a used car dealer.......

Quote Originally Posted by Amphiman1 View Post
    I wonder why people spend there money there? seems like alot of money for a 185.00 clutch
    Never trust a used car dealer.......
    So where can I pick up this same clutch for only $185??? Curious minds want to know!

Is the red spring stiffer? If so it should prevent the clutch from shifting as soon.

The high speed clutch that Fulleraviation put on his IV looks to be a Powerbloc brand, same as OEM argo, pre avenger/frontier. I think argo list price might be close to $300.

Quote Originally Posted by Roger S View Post
    The high speed clutch that Fulleraviation put on his IV looks to be a Powerbloc brand, same as OEM argo, pre avenger/frontier. I think argo list price might be close to $300.
    Hmmm... So much for a cheaper source. LOL. Well if the thing works as well as Fulleraviation claims then it'll be money well spent. I'd rather not fart around with modifying the engine. I don't want to hot rod it; just get more overall speed so I can keep up with my trail riding buddies on their quads.

What will swapping the green spring for red do for the Max? That exchange sounds a little more technically challenging than unbolting one clutch and bolting in another. Will stuff fly all over when I take the flywheel thingy apart? Could be more of a headache than I'd care for.

I used Richards high speed clutch on my 4 stroke Attex with good results. The driven end diameter is smaller and so you need a shorter belt. Also you have to shim out the driven end for proper alignment. I have about 25 hours on the setup with no problems. You will loose some bottom end creep power, but that also depends how the machine is geared.

+ Reply to Thread